Sick kitty

Old November 26th 03, 09:09 AM
Phil P.

"Draco Ravenloft" wrote in message

snip

She doesn't
seem to be eating as much as usual. And she often has a wet nose and chin
as if she's got a runny nose or perhaps has been drooling. The only other
thing that's unusual is that she's started having terrible bad breath the
last couple of months and normally the one prone to any kind of stench is
Tas who doesn't seem to understand bathing. I've found a site that makes
it seem as though she could have infected gums.

These are classic signs of periodontal disease. Your cat must be seen by a
vet *immediately*.

The gums have an extensive blood supply - and the bacteria involved in
periodontal infections easily enter the blood stream -- all blood eventually
passes through the heart -- which can lead to heart disease, kidney disease,
hepatitis, joint disease to name a few -- not to mention the constant pain
from tooth loss.

Please, the Vets around here make more money than the people Docs in many
cases so taking her and finding out that it's only a cold or allergies

I seriously doubt this is a cold or allergies.

Please have your cat examined immediately - if not sooner.

Phil

Old November 26th 03, 10:30 PM
Draco Ravenloft

m. L. Briggs wrote:

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:43:19 -0500, Draco Ravenloft
wrote:

snip
Is there an Humane Society there? Perhaps you could check the yellow
pages for rescue groups and ask the questions The only time my cat
had bad breath was when she had tooth trouble. The Vet removed two
teeth and she was her sweet old self again. Best of luck. MLB

Really? I didn't know they'd do that thank you. I'll look around I know
there's a humane soc around but I've no idea where it is or what facilities
they have. But they may know what vets to go to (albeit I'll have to ask
around before I know if I go to the vet they recommend or steer clear after
one HS I adopted from preferred the single worst vet clinic in town)

Old November 27th 03, 03:47 AM
Karen M.

Draco Ravenloft wrote:

Hi, I'm trying to figure out if one of my cats is sick, seriously sick, or
just being the very definition of moody lately.

first of all, I have 2 cats. 1 female short hair who has always been kind
of tiny, not usually more than 7lbs, probably sitting around 5 right now
spayed when she was only about 6mo old.
1 male med hair, part pixiebob who's been neutered.

It's the little girl, Jackie, who isn't acting right. Tas, the male, is ok.
They're both about 3, and we've had them both since they were 3mo old,
although Jackie is 3mo tas's elder.

She's lethargic, spending a lot of time sleeping, when normally you wouldn't
know her from a 6wk old if she weren't too big. She's gotten notably more
vocal when she is awake, and whenever Tas gets near her she starts hissing
and growling and huddles in a little ball in a corner after bolting. After
this she is very irritable and will even hiss or growl at me if I get
close.

While Tas does tend to have a pixiebob's bulk (not helped a gread deal by
being snipped) Jackie is 5lbs pure muscle, while she's currently acting
like she's afraid of him this doesn't make sense because I've seen her
throw him half way across the room while they were wrestling. She doesn't
seem to be eating as much as usual. And she often has a wet nose and chin
as if she's got a runny nose or perhaps has been drooling. The only other
thing that's unusual is that she's started having terrible bad breath the
last couple of months and normally the one prone to any kind of stench is
Tas who doesn't seem to understand bathing. I've found a site that makes
it seem as though she could have infected gums.

Please, the Vets around here make more money than the people Docs in many
cases so taking her and finding out that it's only a cold or allergies
would be *HIGHLY* impractical. I miss seeing my kitties cuddle eachother,
and I miss them playing. If anyone has any idea what could be happening,
and what could be done I'd appreciate it.

PS if you happen to be in the Augusta, GA area and know where a good,
resonably priced vet is I'd appreciate that input as well... I got spoiled
in AR where we had a vet where a THOROUGH set of shots was $30 with like
virtually no office visit fee, and the best I've found as yet was $140/cat
for the annual shots.

Kitty needs to see a vet asap. Vet prices tend to vary by area, even by
part of city of you live in. A quick call to a few vets takes only a few
minutes and will let you know what the average price in you should be
paying. Good luck!