[OT] Help! Drew on pants with ballpt pen

Old October 25th 05, 10:08 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

Default [OT] Help! Drew on pants with ballpt pen

Is there any way to get a black ballpoint pen line out of my beige-ish
pants?

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old October 25th 05, 10:14 PM
Denise VanDyke

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Is there any way to get a black ballpoint pen line out of my beige-ish
pants?

I was told that hairspray worked, but that was in the pre-aerosol-is-bad
days. I don't know if the new formulations work as well. I do know
that my mom keeps a can of AquaNet in the laundry room, but who knows
how old that can is! (Neither of us use the stuff on our hair.) Anyone
know more/differently??

- Denise Brennasmeowmy

Old October 25th 05, 10:19 PM
Smokie Darling (Annie)

Default Help! Drew on pants with ballpt pen

Denise VanDyke wrote:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Is there any way to get a black ballpoint pen line out of my beige-ish
pants?

I was told that hairspray worked, but that was in the pre-aerosol-is-bad
days. I don't know if the new formulations work as well. I do know
that my mom keeps a can of AquaNet in the laundry room, but who knows
how old that can is! (Neither of us use the stuff on our hair.) Anyone
know more/differently??

- Denise Brennasmeowmy

Hairspray does work, but.... It can also remove the color, so test it
on a hidden hem or something first.

Smokie Darling (Annie)

Old October 25th 05, 10:23 PM
jmcquown

Denise VanDyke wrote:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Is there any way to get a black ballpoint pen line out of my
beige-ish pants?

I was told that hairspray worked, but that was in the
pre-aerosol-is-bad days. I don't know if the new formulations work
as well. I do know that my mom keeps a can of AquaNet in the laundry
room, but who knows how old that can is! (Neither of us use the
stuff on our hair.) Anyone know more/differently??

- Denise Brennasmeowmy

Hairspray does work. I can still find AquaNet at small drugstores. No, I
don't use it on my hair; it's great for "setting" dried flowers, though

Jill

Old October 25th 05, 10:35 PM
Yowie

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Is there any way to get a black ballpoint pen line out of my beige-ish
pants?

The best solution would be to take the pants to the dry cleaners, because
not all home remedies work perfectly. However, this is the home remedies I
know:

You'll need a solvent. Dry cleaning fluid is probably the best, turps and
paint brush cleaner will do the job OK, Methylated spirits won't. Kerosene
might do in a pinch. There's this hand-spray stain removal stuff here called
"Preen" that is a light oily sort of stuff, and that would work well too.
The principle is tha tyou want something that will move the ink but that
will either wash out over evaporate so it doesn't stain in and of itself.

Get yourself a squirt bottle or something that will give you a fairly fine
line of liquid when it comes out. YOu could even pour carefully if your hand
is that steady (mine isn't). A tomato sauce squirty bottle might do in a
pinch.

You'll also need lots of absorbant paper or two towels you don't care about,
and a bucket of pre-made nappy soak (or one of those soaking stain remover
things)

Place a decent wad under the area of the stain. Squirt fully *around* the
stain, but not *on* the stain. You'll want the capillary action of hte
liquid to contain the stain rather than spreading it further. Once the
solvent has wet the stain, get the other wad of absorbing material, place it
over the stain, and press the two wads together, drawing the stain out.

Move the surace of the wtwo wads of absorbant material so you've always got
a clean surface - otherwise the wads may well end up staining the pants
back.

Keep squirting *around* the area and squeezing, squirting and sqeezing until
no more stain is coming out. Before the solvent has the oppurtunity to dry,
stick the garment in the nappy soak and leave it to soak overnight. wash
normally.

That *should* get the stain out, but no guarantees. It very much depends on
the nature of the ink and the fabric itself.Some fabrics just "dye" easily,
and once a colour has been introduced, it is virtually impossible to remove
fully (pure cotten is notorious).

HTH

Yowie

Old October 25th 05, 10:44 PM
Karen

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Denise VanDyke wrote:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Is there any way to get a black ballpoint pen line out of my
beige-ish pants?

I was told that hairspray worked, but that was in the
pre-aerosol-is-bad days. I don't know if the new formulations work
as well. I do know that my mom keeps a can of AquaNet in the laundry
room, but who knows how old that can is! (Neither of us use the
stuff on our hair.) Anyone know more/differently??

- Denise Brennasmeowmy

Hairspray does work. I can still find AquaNet at small drugstores. No, I
don't use it on my hair; it's great for "setting" dried flowers, though

Jill

I have found it to work, but not horribly well. Good luck.

Old October 25th 05, 10:45 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-10-25, Yowie penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Is there any way to get a black ballpoint pen line out of my
beige-ish pants?

The best solution would be to take the pants to the dry cleaners,
because not all home remedies work perfectly. However, this is the
home remedies I know:

[snip]

Thanks everyone for the answers!

If taking them to the dry cleaners works, then that's what I'll do. I
don't think I am meticulous enough to follow your instructions =/

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old October 26th 05, 12:45 AM
Enfilade

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Is there any way to get a black ballpoint pen line out of my beige-ish
pants?

Geez, and to think I kill stains by taking out my detergent bottle,
pouring detergent ont he stain, leaving it sit for a day, then washing.

If that doesnt wor, I repeat with Javex 2 Bleach for Unbleachables, but
only leave it soak for half an hour..

--Fil

Old October 26th 05, 03:04 AM
rrb

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Is there any way to get a black ballpoint pen line out of my beige-ish
pants?

I'd suggest going to the website of the pen maker, and see if they have
that information. For example this is from the papermate website FAQ:

Stain removal suggestions for most Paper Mate writing instruments:
Your best chance at complete stain removal with all Paper Mate inks on
all surfaces is to use Amodex! It removes virtually any ink or food
stain on virtually any fabric or surface. Best of all, it will work as
well after two weeks or after two hours - so it is probably worth the
wait for your favorite or expensive garments. We recommend, however,
that you treat the stain as soon as possible. If you plan to use Amodex,
do not attempt to treat the stain first - even rinsing in water can
reduce the solution's effectiveness.

Amodex is available by contacting Fahrney's Pens Inc. 24 hours a day,
seven days a week at 800-336-4775

Ink Stain Remover Please read the following instructions carefully.
Unfortunately, not all stains can be completely removed.

1. Treat stains as soon as possible. Fresh stains can be removed more
easily than old ones.

2. Check manufacturer's labels as to fabric content and any special
instructions.

3. Always test a stain removal solution on a hidden part of the article
or on a swatch of fabric taken from seam allowance to insure that no
color loss or damage will occur.

4. Where possible, lay stained article face down on paper towels or
clean white cloth and apply stain removal solution to underside of stain
so that stain can be removed from the surface instead of pushed through
the fabric. Replace towels or cloth as they absorb stain to prevent
stain transfer.

5. If enlisting the aid of a professional dry cleaner, be sure to
indicate what the stain is and the type of fabric.

6. Do not iron stained garments or put in dryer as this may set stain.
Old October 26th 05, 03:45 AM
Sandy

Scissors? :-)

Sandy, ducking and running