(OT) Do Not Call Registry Violator

Old August 23rd 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default (OT) Do Not Call Registry Violator

Lesley wrote:

Some years ago we had neighbours downstairs who vanished after doing
quite a few scams- we got a lot of calls asking if we knew where they
were! The winner was some loan company who didn't believe we didn't
know since they were our landlords- we told them no they weren't and
there was a long silence...somehow they had managed to get a huge loan
telling the company that they owned the house we live in and offering
it as security

Someone really messed up at their end!

Oh, that's really FUNNY!!!!! (Why do I not feel sorry for the loan
company?)
Old August 23rd 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default Bathroom colours was (OT) Do Not Call Registry Violator

Lesley wrote:
On Aug 22, 3:41 pm, "Cheryl P." wrote:

I had a friend once who had a small bathroom entirely in dark green

At our last flat- we had a small bathroom with no windows and a
certain creative genius (Dave not me) decided the best colour would
be- pillarbox red! It made it even darker in there and you could feel
the walls closing in!

And I'm with Tweed , my bathroom suite is white but my parents had
avocado green and it didn't bother me at all. As far as I'm concerned,
the considerations of a bathroom suite are things like: Is the toilet
blocked or leaking? Does the shower work? Are the taps dripping? I
don;t spend so much time in there that the decor gets to me

Besides, some of us LIKE green! (Of almost any shade.) I think we've
gotten away from colored electrical appliances in the U.S., but I had an
avocado washer and dryer set for many years. (The only reason I didn't
have a matching refrigerator was that it cost extra to have any but white.)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old August 23rd 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:

Ah, well, we might have to agree to disagree about fashion in large
appliances. I don't need to have a silver coloured fridge because my white
one works fine and is only 2 years old, same with my cooker, it's white and
the trend is towards silver now.
Rip them out, get silver ones? I think not.

You seem to have misunderstood me. I wasn't talking about people who are
following fashion, but people who are sick and tired of something
they've had for a long time. Those are two different reactions. From
what you say, you don't respond to your surroundings in that way. That's
fine; but some people do.

I will leave you all with something to think about.
Do you realise how lucky you are living in a first world country worrying if
a bathroom colour is fashionable?
Try living in the third world walking for days to find a doctor for your
dying child. Think about that for two minutes and imagine it. Really do it,
set aside two minutes to put yourself there. *Now* does it matter what
colour your appliances are or whether you are sick of your decor?

Why not? Whether or not I am sick of my decor is completely unconnected
to whether or not I'm lucky to have it at all, or even the absolute
certainty that there are other people far worse off than I am - and I
don't need to go to a third world country to find them.

I wasn't much impressed when well-meaning relatives tried to embarrass
me into eating my meals by telling me children were starving in China,
either.

Cheryl
Old August 23rd 08, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Cheryl P." wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...
.
Harvest gold? YUK! Same with New Orleans Blue. I thought
Avocado was
disgusting enough.

Erm. . I have an Avocado bathroom suite, I'll have you know ;-)
It was already fitted when I moved into this house in the 80's and
very fashionable it was too, at that time.
My bathroom works perfectly. I can have a bath in my avocado
bath, wash at my avocado hand-basin and use my avocado toilet.
Why would I care what colour it is, and more importantly, why
would anyone?
If anyone comes to my house, needs to pay a visit to the bathroom
and raises their eyebrows at the avocado toilet, next time they
come and need a pee I shall say no, go and find yourself a
fashionable white one elsewhere!

My friends would never mention the colour of my bathroom suite, my
wallpaper, if I haven't hoovered for a few days or anything like
that. They would soon be ex-friends if they did. They actually
don't care. They come to see me not my house.

Tweed

Have you ever had the experience of buying something you adored
only to later get so tired and sick of the sight of it that you'd
love to get rid of it

No, I can't say I have.

- but if it's something like a toilet or fridge or bathroom tiles
you simply can't afford or can't justify the expense of doing so?

I lived in a house that didn't have a bathroom at all for 11 years
once. The toilet was outside and we all had to strip-wash at the
kitchen sink. I'm not about to get annoyed about my bathroom because
it's not a fashionable colour.

If you get sick of a blouse or set of sheets, you can throw or
given them away fairly easily;

Fabrics can be recycled here in the UK.

it's not so simple with major appliances. And they're pretty hard
to ignore, too.

Yes, they are hard to ignore, that's very true. What I am
questioning here is the "need for fashion." What do you think
happens to your bad-coloured bathroom suite when it's removed? It
goes to landfill sites to be buried and here we are running out of
places to do that.

I had a friend once who had a small bathroom entirely in dark green
(presumably the choice of the previous owners) - fixtures, tiled
walls (which are NOT cheap or easy to replace), floor, everthing.
The general effect was of drowning, and much worsened by the small
size of the room. She got pretty disgusted and fed up with that,
just like some people who've been living with avocado green for
years do.

Ah, well, we might have to agree to disagree about fashion in large
appliances. I don't need to have a silver coloured fridge because
my white one works fine and is only 2 years old, same with my
cooker, it's white and the trend is towards silver now.
Rip them out, get silver ones? I think not.

I will leave you all with something to think about.
Do you realise how lucky you are living in a first world country
worrying if a bathroom colour is fashionable?
Try living in the third world walking for days to find a doctor for
your dying child. Think about that for two minutes and imagine it.
Really do it, set aside two minutes to put yourself there. *Now*
does it matter what colour your appliances are or whether you are
sick of your decor?

Tweed
(ready to be flamed)

No flames from here.

My only concery would be how difficult if might be to find a suitable
replacement seat for the toilet when the old one wears out.

My only problem with the avacado green, which I used to quite like
would be because I got burned out on it. When we bought this house
forty years ago, the kitchen appliances, washer and dryer and
uncarpeted floors in the house were avacado green. The carpets were a
darker green shag and the outside of the house a sort of bitter apple
green. Our new car was the same bitter apple green.

All that remains is the flooring inside one or two closets.

Jo

Old August 24th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 20:55:07 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

"Cheryl P." wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

No flames from me. I continually tell my grandchildren there is a big
difference between "wants" and "needs".MLB

Old August 24th 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Aug 23, 12:55*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Tweed
(ready to be flamed)- Hide quoted text -

No flames coming from me I am with you on this totally

And yes fabrics can be easily recycled I pass any that I've got which
then turned out to be mistakes to a local charity shop. My mistake may
be someone else's dream bargain!

Old August 24th 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On 2008-08-23, Lesley wrote:

At our last flat- we had a small bathroom with no windows

Is that legal? *Suppose you did a smelly one!

It had a very powerful extractor fan and we had air fresheners for
those occasions when it really wasn't enough!

The Call Marina Cat anecdotes 12 January 2nd 06 03:44 AM
Does your cat come when you call it? John Doe Cat health & behaviour 21 November 16th 05 11:54 AM
National Emergency Animal Registry teckpam Cats - misc 0 October 19th 05 04:27 AM
National Emergency Animal Registry teckpam Cat community 0 October 19th 05 04:27 AM
What do you call?? Karen Chuplis Cat anecdotes 22 April 4th 04 04:57 AM