Question for long-haired owners

Old April 2nd 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Default Question for long-haired owners

I mean, long-haired cats owners.
Do you trim the fur in the butt of your cats? How do you do it?
Scissors? Trimmers?
Rufous had a big clump of poo this morning, so I helped him by trimming
some of his back fur. He didn't like it, but he's such a good boy, he
did not complain, he just tried to run away.
Pointers would be most appreciated.

Victor

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old April 2nd 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 2, 4:25?pm, Victor Martinez wrote:
I mean, long-haired cats owners.
Do you trim the fur in the butt of your cats? How do you do it?
Scissors? Trimmers?
Rufous had a big clump of poo this morning, so I helped him by trimming
some of his back fur. He didn't like it, but he's such a good boy, he
did not complain, he just tried to run away.
Pointers would be most appreciated.

Victor

We have that problem, too, Victor. Usually I just take them to the
vet. I hate to do this, but hate worse the idea of me & DH holding
them down and using clippers on them. If Rufous will let you do it,
it's a whole lot less traumatic than going to the vet. I'm sure you're
like me, and don't care if he looks a little funny, as long as he's
clean & comfortable.
Last spring Bikkie had such a dingleberry back there I had to take her
for a groom job at the vet. I'd have never gotten her cleaned up. It
was bad. She was like the song from "Friends", remember "Smelly Cat."
Sherry

Old April 2nd 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

Victor when we had out Himalayans we would either have to hold her while we
used a trimmer. But we did have the vet do it a lot of the times.

We got her used to it after a while by finding a trimmer that was very
quiet.

Old April 2nd 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Victor Martinez" wrote

| Do you trim the fur in the butt of your cats? How do you do it?

To ensure that you don't cut kitty's skin, place a rat-tail comb between the
skin and matt first, then clip. I manage this with Billy, Lily and Beatrice
with just my two hands. It's a challenge, especially with Billy. If you have
help it shouldn't be a problem even with a reluctant kitty.

Old April 3rd 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 17:55:28 -0500, "Pat"
wrote:

"Victor Martinez" wrote

| Do you trim the fur in the butt of your cats? How do you do it?

To ensure that you don't cut kitty's skin, place a rat-tail comb between the
skin and matt first, then clip. I manage this with Billy, Lily and Beatrice
with just my two hands. It's a challenge, especially with Billy. If you have
help it shouldn't be a problem even with a reluctant kitty.

I use a *steel* pet comb - no chance of cutting through it, and it's
wide enough and long enough to be extra safe since I use short blade
scissors.

--
T.E.D. ) Remove "gearbox.maem" to get real address - that one is dead
Old April 3rd 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Ted Davis" wrote

| I use a *steel* pet comb - no chance of cutting through it, and it's
| wide enough and long enough to be extra safe since I use short blade
| scissors.

Ted, how many of your clowder are LH, and how many of them get matts? I'm
curious because I've never had a LH that got matts before Billy, Lily and
Beatrice. In the past I've had as many as five LHs at once and none ever got
matted even though I didn't brush them often.

BTW Victor it really helps if you brush them regularly, the fur won't get
matted in the first place. I try to keep up with these three, but sometimes
there's not enough time.

Old April 3rd 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 00:21:24 -0500, "Pat"
wrote:

"Ted Davis" wrote

| I use a *steel* pet comb - no chance of cutting through it, and it's
| wide enough and long enough to be extra safe since I use short blade
| scissors.

Ted, how many of your clowder are LH, and how many of them get matts? I'm
curious because I've never had a LH that got matts before Billy, Lily and
Beatrice. In the past I've had as many as five LHs at once and none ever got
matted even though I didn't brush them often.

BTW Victor it really helps if you brush them regularly, the fur won't get
matted in the first place. I try to keep up with these three, but sometimes
there's not enough time.

There're 'mat-a-day-CJ', Millie, and Fleagor. Fleagor is Maine Coon
type and never mats - I do need to keep him combed out to remove the
debris. Millie mats during shedding seasons, otherwise she just looks
shaggy. I find a mat on CJ - small ones - several times a week. CJ
likes (or tolerates) being groomed ... as long as it results in a
belly rub.

--
T.E.D. )
Remove "gearbox.maem." from address - that one is dead
Old April 3rd 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
I mean, long-haired cats owners.
Do you trim the fur in the butt of your cats? How do you do it? Scissors?
Trimmers?
Rufous had a big clump of poo this morning, so I helped him by trimming
some of his back fur. He didn't like it, but he's such a good boy, he did
not complain, he just tried to run away.
Pointers would be most appreciated.

My aunt has two Persians. They go to the groomer every eight weeks for a
clip of their undersides and backsides. Wish I could remember the name for
that clip. But it does prevent most of the tangles and clingons.

She doesn't have much choice and the cat named Blue won't let her pet him,
much less brush him.

Jo

Old April 4th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis

I forgot Fluffy - she sheds more slowly than Millie and gets fewer
mats, but she does have to be combed out at least a couple of times a
week (she doesn't like it much).

--
T.E.D. ) Remove "gearbox.maem" to get real address - that one is dead
Old April 4th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon

I have a Maine Coon that I comb daily - my previous cats were long
haired and were combed daily. IF there was debris on the behind, I
used a "flea comb" on it and it took the debris off nicely. Now if
this is a continuing problem, maybe you should consider why - they
shouldn't be having loose bowels all the time.