Neighbor's pitbulls running free (OT)

Old May 4th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Neighbor's pitbulls running free (OT)

"223rem" wrote in news:1146684317.793982.260230
@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

The cops? I'd try a direct approach to the neighbours

Taking to the neighbor is probably not a good idea.

It is the kind of neighborhood where gunfire is not uncommon and
where cop cars come 'visit' almost daily.

That might actually be a good thing, in talking to the neighbor. Tell
him you're worried about the dogs' safety - how if somebody is scared by
them, even if they're not doing anything, he might shoot the dogs.
Address it on the basis of concern for the dogs.

You can point out that if one of the kids on the playground gets scared
by the dog, and says the dog bit her, the dog would be put down, whether
he did it or not.

Chak, who loves the d-things as much as kitties

--
There is something wonderful in seeing a wrong-headed majority assailed
by truth.
Old May 4th 06, 11:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jo Firey wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"223rem" wrote in message
oups.com...
My girlfriend lives in an apartment complex, and lately I noticed
that one
of her neigbors (living in a ground-floor apartment) has a pair of
pitbulls (male
and female, intact) and he lets them run free for 10-20 minutes
several times a
day. They seem to roam farther and farther away from their home
every time I see them.
There is a playground nearby. Is this dangerous enough to warrant a
call to
the cops?

No. Whilst it's not a good idea for your neighbours to let their
dogs roam free, just because they are pitbulls doesn't mean they are
going to attack children.
Would you feel able to approach your neighbours to say that there is
such a negative image about pitbulls that if they let them run
around they might lose them?

If they are nice dogs, it isn't only the negative they have to fear.
There is quite a market for pit bulls around here and you have to
protect them from thieves.

Jo

Some people will steal anything, I remember a story from about ten years
ago, a house was broken into and the only things stolen were five
rottweilers. Very sad for the owners, I never did hear if they got them back
or not.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old May 5th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Adrian A wrote:
Jo Firey wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"223rem" wrote in message
[...]

My former fiance was out of town on a business trip and was boarding his
black labrador retriever at a co-workers house. When he returned he was
informed the dog had been stolen. Neither one of us believed it. The dog
was a purebred and had won a number of competitions. We think the guy sold
him.

Jill

Old May 6th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote in message
223rem wrote:
My girlfriend lives in an apartment complex, and lately I noticed that
one
of her neigbors (living in a ground-floor apartment) has a pair of
pitbulls (male
and female, intact) and he lets them run free for 10-20 minutes
several times a
day. They seem to roam farther and farther away from their home every
time I see them.
There is a playground nearby. Is this dangerous enough to warrant a
call to
the cops?

There is nothing to warrant calling the cops unless they have harmed an
animal or a person. There might be leash laws being broken, however.
Maybe
you can call the dog catcher

If this was going on here, it would be way beyond "leash laws". Pitbulls
have
attacked so many *adults* in this area they are forbidden to own unless
registered and appropriate fees paid ($200 each) by city/county laws.
Nearby large city forbids their ownership entirely. Seen anywhere there,
they are indeed "dead meat" - running loose or not.
If they were seen by anyone anywhere near a school or playground in
this area, and anyone called law, these dogs would be literally blown away
w/o even biting or threatening anyone.
What is very valuable in one area may be a source of terror in another.
Ten-year-old whose face was injured during an attack last year is still
having his lower face put back together surgically, through donations.