I Had to Ask, Didn't I? (OT)

Old April 28th 10, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default I Had to Ask, Didn't I? (OT)

Yeah, after someone hit my car in the drug store parking lot I had to ask
what else could go wrong. Now I know!

The temps here have been perfect, highs in the low to mid 70's F and not at
all humid. Except for Monday, the 26th. It had been raining for days and
the temp was in the 80's. The humidity was more than I could comfortably
deal with. So I closed the windows and turned on the central A/C. I let it
run for a good After running for an hour, it was hotter than Hades in the
house.

I have a service contract for the central heat & air which I continued after
my mother died. They do routine checks, maintenance and replace the filter
for me every few months. (I'm terrified of climbing up a ladder to do it
myself.) When the guy (same guy whose been coming out all along) came to do
routine maintnenace in February he said, "That unit is going to die, sooner
rather than later." sigh

At least I wasn't unprepared for it. And I discovered it well before the
heat and humidity in South Carolina became intolerable. If it had waited
until mid-summer, who knows how many weeks I'd have had to wait to get it
replaced? Persia and I will be comfortable. It's a major outlay of $$ but
it has to be done.

Jill

Old April 28th 10, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 4/28/2010 3:26 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Ouch!!! We had that happen to us, unfortunately it WAS mid-summer, and
a heat wave when ours died. Every window was open, with cats laying in
each one on their back, with fans blowing air on them to keep them cool.
DH & I could have tolerated, but the cats could not, so it was
replaced ASAP!!!!

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old April 28th 10, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote
| On 4/28/2010 3:26 PM, jmcquown wrote:
| Yeah, after someone hit my car in the drug store parking lot I had to
| ask what else could go wrong. Now I know!
|
| The temps here have been perfect, highs in the low to mid 70's F and not
| at all humid. Except for Monday, the 26th. It had been raining for days
| and the temp was in the 80's. The humidity was more than I could
| comfortably deal with. So I closed the windows and turned on the central
| A/C. I let it run for a good After running for an hour, it was hotter
| than Hades in the house.
|
| I have a service contract for the central heat & air which I continued
| after my mother died. They do routine checks, maintenance and replace
| the filter for me every few months. (I'm terrified of climbing up a
| ladder to do it myself.) When the guy (same guy whose been coming out
| all along) came to do routine maintnenace in February he said, "That
| unit is going to die, sooner rather than later." sigh
|
| At least I wasn't unprepared for it. And I discovered it well before the
| heat and humidity in South Carolina became intolerable. If it had waited
| until mid-summer, who knows how many weeks I'd have had to wait to get
| it replaced? Persia and I will be comfortable. It's a major outlay of $$
| but it has to be done.
|
| Jill
|
| Ouch!!! We had that happen to us, unfortunately it WAS mid-summer, and
| a heat wave when ours died. Every window was open, with cats laying in
| each one on their back, with fans blowing air on them to keep them cool.
| DH & I could have tolerated, but the cats could not, so it was
| replaced ASAP!!!!

This thread makes me think of the five summers I spent at the horse farm in
a low-ceiling metal box with a black roof and no shade, no a/c. In summer it
would be 110 F. or more in there by 10 AM. Fans would blow the hot air
around. If I had closed all the windows it would have been much, much
hotter. And it's just as humid here as anywhere except maybe the rain
forest. I'd have thought I died and went to heaven to have under 90 F.
indoors there.

Old April 28th 10, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

No cluons were harmed when jmcquown wrote:
Yeah, after someone hit my car in the drug store parking lot I had to ask

what else could go wrong. Now I know!

This is equivalent to "Nothing else could possibly go wrong!" that I once
uttered (grin). It was one of those years...

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old April 28th 10, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
[...]

Years ago, when I was still renting, the air conditioner in my apartment
died. I bought a big box fan and carried it from room to room until
management replaced the A/C unit. That was East Texas in the middle of the
summer, so calling it "hot" would be an understatement. My first cat (who
lived to age 20) was with me at that time, and he would follow me. More
specifically, he would follow the fan and plop down in front of it as soon
as I plugged it in and turned it on. He knew *exactly* what the fan was for
(and who should receive priority by relaxing directly in front of it)!

MaryL

Old April 29th 10, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Pat" wrote in message

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote
| On 4/28/2010 3:26 PM, jmcquown wrote:
| Yeah, after someone hit my car in the drug store parking lot I had to
| ask what else could go wrong. Now I know!
|
| The temps here have been perfect, highs in the low to mid 70's F and
not
| at all humid. Except for Monday, the 26th. It had been raining for
days
| and the temp was in the 80's. The humidity was more than I could
| comfortably deal with. So I closed the windows and turned on the
central
| A/C. I let it run for a good After running for an hour, it was hotter
| than Hades in the house.
|
| I have a service contract for the central heat & air which I continued
| after my mother died. They do routine checks, maintenance and replace
| the filter for me every few months. (I'm terrified of climbing up a
| ladder to do it myself.) When the guy (same guy whose been coming out
| all along) came to do routine maintnenace in February he said, "That
| unit is going to die, sooner rather than later." sigh
|
| At least I wasn't unprepared for it. And I discovered it well before
the
| heat and humidity in South Carolina became intolerable. If it had
waited
| until mid-summer, who knows how many weeks I'd have had to wait to get
| it replaced? Persia and I will be comfortable. It's a major outlay of
$$
| but it has to be done.
|
| Jill
|
| Ouch!!! We had that happen to us, unfortunately it WAS mid-summer, and
| a heat wave when ours died. Every window was open, with cats laying in
| each one on their back, with fans blowing air on them to keep them cool.
| DH & I could have tolerated, but the cats could not, so it was
| replaced ASAP!!!!

This thread makes me think of the five summers I spent at the horse farm
in
a low-ceiling metal box with a black roof and no shade, no a/c. In summer
it
would be 110 F. or more in there by 10 AM. Fans would blow the hot air
around. If I had closed all the windows it would have been much, much
hotter. And it's just as humid here as anywhere except maybe the rain
forest. I'd have thought I died and went to heaven to have under 90 F.
indoors there.

I had AC installed about 8 or 9 years ago. I lived without it for about 65
years, but now I feel I need it. Global warming, or age?

Joy

Old April 29th 10, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Joy wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message
"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote
| On 4/28/2010 3:26 PM, jmcquown wrote:
| Yeah, after someone hit my car in the drug store parking lot I had to
| ask what else could go wrong. Now I know!
|
| The temps here have been perfect, highs in the low to mid 70's F and
not
| at all humid. Except for Monday, the 26th. It had been raining for
days
| and the temp was in the 80's. The humidity was more than I could
| comfortably deal with. So I closed the windows and turned on the
central
| A/C. I let it run for a good After running for an hour, it was hotter
| than Hades in the house.
|
| I have a service contract for the central heat & air which I continued
| after my mother died. They do routine checks, maintenance and replace
| the filter for me every few months. (I'm terrified of climbing up a
| ladder to do it myself.) When the guy (same guy whose been coming out
| all along) came to do routine maintnenace in February he said, "That
| unit is going to die, sooner rather than later." sigh
|
| At least I wasn't unprepared for it. And I discovered it well before
the
| heat and humidity in South Carolina became intolerable. If it had
waited
| until mid-summer, who knows how many weeks I'd have had to wait to get
| it replaced? Persia and I will be comfortable. It's a major outlay of
$$
| but it has to be done.
|
| Jill
|
| Ouch!!! We had that happen to us, unfortunately it WAS mid-summer, and
| a heat wave when ours died. Every window was open, with cats laying in
| each one on their back, with fans blowing air on them to keep them cool.
| DH & I could have tolerated, but the cats could not, so it was
| replaced ASAP!!!!

This thread makes me think of the five summers I spent at the horse farm
in
a low-ceiling metal box with a black roof and no shade, no a/c. In summer
it
would be 110 F. or more in there by 10 AM. Fans would blow the hot air
around. If I had closed all the windows it would have been much, much
hotter. And it's just as humid here as anywhere except maybe the rain
forest. I'd have thought I died and went to heaven to have under 90 F.
indoors there.

I had AC installed about 8 or 9 years ago. I lived without it for about 65
years, but now I feel I need it. Global warming, or age?

Joy

Both! MLB
Old April 29th 10, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"Joy" wrote
| I had AC installed about 8 or 9 years ago. I lived without it for about
65
| years, but now I feel I need it. Global warming, or age?

I sure as hell HOPE I don't suffer more from the heat as I get older.
Menopause was bad enough!!!!!!!!!

Old April 29th 10, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Pat" wrote in message
et...

"Joy" wrote
| I had AC installed about 8 or 9 years ago. I lived without it
for about
65
| years, but now I feel I need it. Global warming, or age?

I sure as hell HOPE I don't suffer more from the heat as I get
older.
Menopause was bad enough!!!!!!!!!

Most people become physically less able to regulate their body
temperature as they get older, so are more subject to things like
heat stroke and hypothermia.

Well that, and mentally they become less able to realize they are in
trouble and do something about it.

(How much longer can I get away with saying they rather than we when
I refer to older people, I wonder?)

Jo

Old April 29th 10, 02:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Pat" wrote in message
et...

"Joy" wrote
| I had AC installed about 8 or 9 years ago. I lived without it for about
65
| years, but now I feel I need it. Global warming, or age?

I sure as hell HOPE I don't suffer more from the heat as I get older.
Menopause was bad enough!!!!!!!!!

Well, you could always do what my mother did when she had that problem.
After 80 years in California, she moved to Alaska. Her last 14 years (in
Alaska) were probably the happiest in her life.

Joy