My 2.5 yr old cat gave birth to 1 stillbirth cat

Old July 17th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

Default My 2.5 yr old cat gave birth to 1 stillbirth cat

"cybercat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote
I just talked to Ben. He said when he got home both boys were still
asleep under the couch in his office (now known as the isolation chamber
with the screen on the door ;). He pulled them out and gave them some
food - and both boys scarfed it down like the little piglets they are.
Tayla came over when Archer was finished eating and gave him a good wash.
When she was done she walked over to Ozzy, who was still eating, and
started to give him a wash. However, Ozzy didn't want to be washed so he
looked up into her face and hissed at her!!! She sat back and bopped him
on top of his head three times until he laid down, properly chastised,
and then gave him his good wash. After she was done he jumped up, licked
both his and Archer's plate clean, and then walked over and started
eating Tayla's dry food. Tayla looked up at Ben with a "What are you
gonna do?" look and then jumped up to his desk to take her nap.

That is sooo cute. Maybe the boys will help Tayla by being surrogate
kittens for the ones she lost, at least allowing her to mother a bit.

I hope so, they need someone to wash off the kitten stink! Now if she could
just get them to stop using their litterbox as their "fort" and a hiding
place for ambushing each other! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 17th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Tue 17 Jul 2007 12:04:43a, glreuther1 wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav news:754a1d1aa8ae0@uwe:

My cat gave birth to 1 kitten today 7/16/07 about 4:30pm. The
kitten was dead when it was born. We tried to revive it and
nothing worked. She has not given birth to any other kittens in
the last 7.5 hours. She shows no sign of distress, she is
jumping on our laps and eating and drinking as normal. This was
her first litter, is this normal?

Don't know about normal, but when you take her to the vet I'd ask
for FELV and FIV combo test. I read/heard a long time ago that
these illnesses can cause either spontaneous abortion or fetal
absorption. I think that while one kitten isn't impossible, it
surely must be rare. The fact that the one was stillborn makes me
wonder about the health of the mama. I believe toxoplasmosis can
cause stillbirth, too. Kitty needs vet.

--
Cheryl

Old July 17th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Tue 17 Jul 2007 01:44:57p, CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

Tayla came over
when Archer was finished eating and gave him a good wash. When
she was done she walked over to Ozzy, who was still eating, and
started to give him a wash. However, Ozzy didn't want to be
washed so he looked up into her face and hissed at her!!! She
sat back and bopped him on top of his head three times until he
laid down, properly chastised, and then gave him his good wash.
After she was done he jumped up, licked both his and Archer's
plate clean, and then walked over and started eating Tayla's dry
food. Tayla looked up at Ben with a "What are you gonna do?"
look and then jumped up to his desk to take her nap.

This is hysterical! It so reminds me of how Shamrock adopted
Scarlett and Rhett as his "babies" when they first arrived, and how
he became known as Mr Mom for a while here. The kittens learned
their manners from him, just as yours are from Tayla. Sooo cute,
and nicely described, too.

--
Cheryl

Old July 18th 07, 07:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

glreuther1 wrote:
My cat gave birth to 1 kitten today 7/16/07 about 4:30pm. The kitten was
dead when it was born. We tried to revive it and nothing worked. She has
not given birth to any other kittens in the last 7.5 hours. She shows no
sign of distress, she is jumping on our laps and eating and drinking as
normal. This was her first litter, is this normal?

No, it is NOT normal.

Normal people have their cats neutered or spayed.
Old July 18th 07, 07:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

bookie wrote:

if you first vet has ignored your call when you obviously have what
could be a serious emergency on your hands, it is time to find another
vet pronto.

Exactly - even in the small town where I live, there are 24-hour vets.
Okay, I admit, I haven't tested them to find out if they REALLY do live
up to their claims, but I would keep calling every vet I could find
until I got hold of one if I felt my cat was in danger.

and 'keepign bloodlines going' is not really a good enough excuse for
adding to the problem of overpopulation. You would have to find a home
for the little one and that would take away a potential home for one
of the many thousands of cats in rescue shelters up and down the
country who are already there and desparate for a good home. dontl
just think about your self, think about how what you do affects
everything else inthe world as everything you do can have a knock on
effect in ways you least expect.

remember; if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the
problem, so thnk about getting her spayed

Think about it and then do it.

bookie

Old July 19th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 17 Jul, 15:45, "cybercat" wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message

"glreuther1 via CatKB.com" u35904@uwe wrote in message
Sometimes it is not what you say, it is how you say it. But as I said

It was said simply and without foul language or any recriminations. How
*would* you expect people, not vets, who have never seen your cat, and
with only a brief description of the problem, know how to diagnose your
cat? And moreover, *WHY* would you want those people to try to make a
diagnosis and tell you what to do? Why would you trust perfect strangers
to tell you something that important?

Additionally, expecting a group which is dedicated to the health and
happiness of cats to be sympathetic to someone who allows a cat to bring
kittens into a world that is euthanizing *THOUSANDS* of "excess" kittens
every day is a bit unrealistic.

Cybercat just stated the obvious without any implication of nastiness -
she has no control over how you infer what she wrote.

You are so good and so patient. Had the OP known me better, he/she would
have known that I used considerable restraint. For nothing! Just goes to
show
you, be yourself! ahhahaha!

Hope Archer and Ozzie are feeling better soon. I wonder if it is a
combination
of the shots and the emotional toil of thinking maybe they were getting sent
back or away??

actually all you did was say exactly what a lot of us were thinking
anyway, you just got to your computer before the rest of us!

the OP has made their cat go through an unnecessary and probably
painful and traumatic experience of giving birth to a still born
kitten then expects people here to not pass judgement on that and just
give advice, what else did they expect? i think you were much tamer
than i would have been.

i feel so sorry for the 2 cats involved, i do not really think that
the OP has their best interests at heart by making them breed, and
certainly does not have the interests of the wider cat community in
mind at all if they do not have both cats 'done' asap.

some people are just selfish cretins, just a real shame that the
welfare of such beautiful creatures has been entrusted to such morons

bookie

Old July 19th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

I am really sorry that your cat's first pregnancy worked out so sadly
for you and for her. But even more, I am sorry and wish I could
appologise for how hatefully you were treated on this listserv. It
seems common on many listservs that nasty, drunken and ignorant people
appear to be dominant and so people are discouraged from asking
questions. However, when I had a problem with my cat, I got several
helpful responses sent to me privately that were a big help to me and
made me and the cat feel better. I am still grateful for them. I
hope you did as well and will continue to post on this listserv
because there are good people here who do not necessarily respond
online but who will respond by direct email.

Old July 19th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"bookie" wrote

the OP has made their cat go through an unnecessary and probably
painful and traumatic experience of giving birth to a still born
kitten then expects people here to not pass judgement on that and just
give advice, what else did they expect? i think you were much tamer
than i would have been.

i feel so sorry for the 2 cats involved, i do not really think that
the OP has their best interests at heart by making them breed, and
certainly does not have the interests of the wider cat community in
mind at all if they do not have both cats 'done' asap.

some people are just selfish cretins, just a real shame that the
welfare of such beautiful creatures has been entrusted to such morons

Very nicely put. And from knowing the little bit you know about me
from this group, you can probably see why I like cats better than most
people.

Old July 20th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 19 Jul, 14:27, "cybercat" wrote:
"bookie" wrote

the OP has made their cat go through an unnecessary and probably
painful and traumatic experience of giving birth to a still born
kitten then expects people here to not pass judgement on that and just
give advice, what else did they expect? i think you were much tamer
than i would have been.

i feel so sorry for the 2 cats involved, i do not really think that
the OP has their best interests at heart by making them breed, and
certainly does not have the interests of the wider cat community in
mind at all if they do not have both cats 'done' asap.

some people are just selfish cretins, just a real shame that the
welfare of such beautiful creatures has been entrusted to such morons

Very nicely put. And from knowing the little bit you know about me
from this group, you can probably see why I like cats better than most
people.

I do too most of the time, in fact pretty much all of the time