IBKFergus is leaving ;-(

Old May 22nd 06, 06:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default IBKFergus is leaving ;-(

wrote in message
oups.com...

Declawing would not be a solution. She would just turn into a biter.
This post makes me want to cry.

Sherry

Declawing is incredibly cruel. Regular trimming of claws is humane and
effective. Works a treat with my feral: Marble, a.k.a. PsychoCatFromHell ;-)
His claws, if left untrimmed, resemble those found on a velociraptor...

Cheers, helen s

Old May 22nd 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie wrote:

I don't want to do this, but don't have much choice. For no reason i or Joel
can fathom, IBKFergus just ripped my thumb to shreds. Its that bad, i can't
use my right thumb to type.

Vicky

I'm so sorry for you and for IBKFergus. You are doing what you have to
to protect your own and that means finding IBK a new home. I'll think
good thoughts, and ask the owners to purr and look for a good home for
her.

Pam S.
Old May 22nd 06, 07:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie wrote:

The Animal Welfare League can take her. They'll get a substantial donation
to help with her adoption costs.

The lady I spoke to is familiar with the CRM ferals, where IBKFergus came
from. They are truly Feral, not just pets that have been abandoned.

Great news - well done for this solution. Hopefully Fergus will find a
good new home.

Perhaps I was too ambitious to take on a feral cat. I dunno. I'll miss her
alot, even though she was never affectionate, and a PITA most of the time. I
still loved her

Of course - that's never been in question, and if you didn't, the
initial post would never have even made it to these boards.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old May 22nd 06, 07:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie wrote:

Again, it was, as far as I can see, an attack totally out of proportion to
what I was doing. If I had been movingmy hand in an 'interesting' way, I'd
forgive her for thinking it was a chasy game. If I had accidnelty stepped on
her, I'd understand that she was just sayin "OW!". But even when we have
been playing chasey or I've got my big feet in her way, she has not savaged
me like this. I don't know what et her off, or how her kitty brain
interpretted me picking up a book as a reason for attacking, but its such a
common thing to do that I cannot trust IBKFergus not to react the same way
if Cary picked up a book.

She sounds exactly like Cocoa did when I first adopted her. If she was
sitting on a counter top and you picked something up within any
proximity to her (i.e. on the same counter top) she would attack.
Flight/fight distance incredibly large for her, I guess. Cocoa is a very
fear-defensive cat, who is ultra-sensitive to things she thinks are
going to hurt her = any living thing, in her mind. She has improved over
time, partly as we have trained her not to attack us if she wants any
form of attention from us, by passive zero-tolerance of any aggression,
by us recognising the very first signs of an impending hissy-fit
(purring stops; tail quivers; or ears change direction!) and also by her
desensitization over the years.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old May 22nd 06, 07:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

rrb wrote:

Perhaps since I did not see the incident you are referring to. But I bet
there was at least some sign even if you didn't notice it. Sometimes it
can be almost unnoticeable if you aren't looking for it. My male cat was
like that but by paying attention to small signs he gave I soon was able
to avoid these situations and stop them before they started 99 % of the
time.

I'm sorry, while I understand what you are saying, what you don't seem
to recognize is that the Yowlet is only two years old. At that age, an
attention span of five minutes is good. I've got a nineteen year old
who doesn't always seem to understand leaving the kitties alone.

Vicky has said repeatedly that all she did was reach for a book and IBK
went off. Now, you may be right and there were signs that IBK was
overstinulated and Vicky just didn't see them. If an adult didn't or
couldn't see the signs, how do you expect a two year old to do so. I'm
glad to see that she isn't going to take her back to where she used to
work and I fully agree with her decision to find a less threatening
atmosphere for IBK to live in. If this had happened with my children
when they were little, I probably would have done the same thing, even
though there were few no-kill shelters back in the eighties and early
nineties.

Pam S. purring for Vicky and Joel's decision, knowing how hard this is
on them
Old May 22nd 06, 08:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Yowie" wrote in message

The Animal Welfare League can take her. They'll get a substantial donation
to help with her adoption costs.

The lady I spoke to is familiar with the CRM ferals, where IBKFergus came
from. They are truly Feral, not just pets that have been abandoned./////

This sounds like a good and safe situation for IBKFergus. It also helps
that the lady is familar with the colony. Purrs and prayers that the
situation works out for Fergus.

Helen M

Old May 22nd 06, 11:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Mishi wrote:
Hi Vickie,

Is this just clawing, or biting also? If so, can you get her declawed
and defanged - I know it is a major undertaking, and not so mething I
would normally suggest, as I find cruel and barbaric, but it means her
life, and Cary's heart. How much is it to have a declaw there?
Defanging is sometimes done to dogs - we considered having it done to
one of our bostons. They can't inflict much damage with their comb
teeth.

My heart goes out to you, Joel and Cary.

Patti

Euthanization is more humane than a 4-paw declaw and a de-fang.
Sheesh!
-L.

Old May 22nd 06, 12:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Mishi wrote:
Hi Vickie,

Is this just clawing, or biting also? If so, can you get her declawed
and defanged - I know it is a major undertaking, and not so mething I
would normally suggest, as I find cruel and barbaric, but it means her
life, and Cary's heart. How much is it to have a declaw there?
Defanging is sometimes done to dogs - we considered having it done to
one of our bostons. They can't inflict much damage with their comb
teeth.

My heart goes out to you, Joel and Cary.

Patti

Declawing is illegal in Australia as it is in every civilised country
outside north america.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old May 22nd 06, 12:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-22, Rhonda penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

I'm not sure why everyone has amnesia about this, but people:
IBKFergus is a girl. And Yowie has referred to her as "she." So
please stop with the "he/him" references.

I think I started it because I didn't think a name of "Fergus" would
be a girl, but I corrected it when I read the next post that said
"she." I didn't think it would be upsetting to anyone other than the
cat's owner!

Maybe I'm overly sensitive to it, as I have a female cat named Oscar.

It reminds me of my mother, she keeps calling Snoopy he, even though she
knows she's female. Her excuse is, she doesn't remember sex these days,
she's 72.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

IBKFergus grows... Yowie Cat anecdotes 10 July 14th 05 04:30 PM
IBKFergus grows up Yowie Cat anecdotes 24 April 24th 05 07:32 AM
IBKFergus isn't black Yowie Cat anecdotes 11 January 23rd 05 04:25 AM
IBKFergus update Yowie Cat anecdotes 27 January 12th 05 06:57 PM
Leaving the cat while I am away for a long time Lipgor Cat health & behaviour 10 December 10th 03 04:08 PM