New Orleans' Pet Situtation..Are people abandoning their pets?

Old September 6th 05, 12:34 AM
dombosc

Default New Orleans' Pet Situtation..Are people abandoning their pets?

I've been watching the horrors unfold for a week now. It was agony to watch
those poor souls sitting in front of the Convention Center, total agony!
but, I've seen several times on Fox and CNN that many, many cats and dogs
have been abandoned, they are stuck in trees., on rooftops, God knows where!
starving and dying of thirst! One woman was interviewd and said she was told
she couldn't bring her dog with her, that she'd have to leave it behind!! Oh
man, it's making me feel sick knowing the suffering these poor forgotten
creatures are enduring! If I lived nearby or could get there, I'd get a boat
and go on a pet rescue.

does anyone know the real details on whether or not people are being forced
to leave their animals behind?

I sure Never would! It would be me, hubby and our three kitties or not at
all!

Cats

Old September 6th 05, 08:12 PM
gillianf gillianf is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dombosc
[...]

i live in the uk and cant understand why they dont sent people in to get those poor animals after all they are part of the family if it was my pets i would not go with out them please ask mr bush to help them
Old September 7th 05, 12:33 AM

Yes people are being forced to leave their pets. It's sick. You could't
pay me all the money in the world to leave my pets!!! Never ever!
Anyone willing to leave their pets doesn't deserve to have pets!

Old September 7th 05, 04:21 AM
Cat Protector

Yes. It is dispicable when these people turn away animals to rescue humans
who want to bring their 4-legged friends with them. Right now however animal
rescue groups are now on the ground in the affected areas searching for
animal survivers. Joining the search are the ASPCA, Louisiana SPCA, Noah's
Wish, The Humane Society of the United States, and other rescue groups. I
have been receiving updates from a couple of them and posting it on the Cat
Galaxy Feline Forum. It is amazing to hear about the amount of effort these
groups are taking to rescue the many animals stranded by Katrina.

We can only hope many animals survived after being left behind. The problem
we had with that situation is that other rescuers (non-animal rescuers)
stuck so tight to the rules of no animals they ended up doing more harm than
good. Look at the kid who wanted to take his dog on the helicopter and they
said no way and grabbed the dog away from him. The animal rescue effort was
also hindered because of safety concerns. You can also blame our government
for that one as they should have been right there when the disaster first
hit. Apparently FEMA dropped the ball on this one but they also can't act
unless the states ask for their help. Nonetheless they could have given an
order that both humans and animals should not be turned away.

I think the saving of humans on those boats and trucks and not the animal
was more political in my book not to mention insensitive. If I had worked
for FEMA, I would have said kiss my behind and rescued as many cats and dogs
(even though I am not a fan of them) as I could.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
ups.com...

Old September 8th 05, 09:01 PM
gillianf gillianf is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Protector
[...]

wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes people are being forced to leave their pets. It's sick. You could't
pay me all the money in the world to leave my pets!!! Never ever!
Anyone willing to leave their pets doesn't deserve to have pets!
im so please to hear that some of the pets are being rescured to a lot of those people their pets are their family it would break my heart to lose my owly my big ball of fluff at time he drives me mad, he likes one food one day but wont eat it the next, he sleeps on the bed and attacks my feet and wakes me up in the early hours of the morning, but i would not be with out him
Old September 9th 05, 03:29 AM

All -- My husband's cousin works at the ASPCA and says they have ONE
staff member in New Orleans and they are sending out all kinds of
emails trying to fundraise and lie about their real role. Staff at the
ASPCA in NYC are up in arms -- apparently, they are raising all of this
money that goes into the general fund and there is no guarantee it will
go to help animals in katrina. Even worse, staff there are furious at
the slow response (typical) by senior ASPCA people. Dont donate to the
ASPCA - give to HSUS or one of the other groups that have been on tv
helping the animals! The ASPCA is a large organization with lots of red
tape and overpaid execs - the President makes over 150K and most of the
top people make 6 figures!!! Ask to see their financials before you
give them money.

Just like the federal government -- the bigger the organization, the
more the red tape and the less your money goes to help animals! FInd a
small rescue group that will REALLY help animals.

Old September 10th 05, 01:58 AM
Cat Protector

Why would they ask for donations if they didn't intend on donating or
helping in the relief efforts. I have been in touch with the ASPCA and it
appears they have a lot more than one person down there. The Louisiana SPCA
is also down there as well helping the animals. According to the ASPCA's Web
Site they have donated at least $200,000 and also direct from the ASPCA they
sent several staff members into the areas affected by Katrina including
staff trained in rescue, vet techs, and humane enforcement officers. The
equipment they sent included a 40 foot van, a rescue boat and a mobile
hospital unit. They are working with other rescues in the area and
coordinating efforts.

Why would the ASPCA lie about all the stuff they are doing? I have known
them to be a good organization and have donated to them in the past. I have
no idea where in the ASPCA your cousin works but the info I got came from
the Web Site as well as from someone in the ASPCA. Perhaps your cousin was
mis-informed here. I have no problem with the ASPCA myself and name one
organization that doesn't have red tape involved in certain things. You
should also know that when disaster strikes the animal rescue organizations
usually ask for volunteers to go.

Also, the ASPCA's disaster relief fund helps all animals in a disaster not
just Katrina. BTW, I also contacted the ASPCA and was told that you have to
tell them the money you are donating be earmarked for the Katrina relief. I
doubt they'd just take your money and not send it to care for the animals
that were in the affected areas.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
oups.com...

Old September 10th 05, 02:42 AM
Cat Protector

Ok I made a mistake. Apparently the ASPCA committed $1 million dollars in
disaster relief to help the animal victims of Hurrican Katrina.

--

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

People helping people this holiday season [email protected] Cat community 0 December 1st 04 04:01 PM
People helping people this holiday season [email protected] Cat community 0 December 1st 04 03:07 PM
OT - some people have no brains dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers Cat anecdotes 136 October 10th 04 10:04 PM
Some People Adrian Cat anecdotes 27 September 28th 04 01:08 PM
[OT] Attn UK People: O- and A-Levels? David Stevenson Cat anecdotes 2 August 11th 04 04:49 PM