Feeding questions

Old November 10th 03, 05:55 PM
Steve G

Joe Canuck wrote in message ...
(...)

However I have noted in a couple of cases each on the dry and wet side
that the data provided for specific foods is somewhat incorrect when
compared to the manufacturer information. These are not huge errors that
can likely be attributed to not having revisited and updated the data in
some cases.

Yes, I've basically made the assumption that these figures are in the
ballpark - I've assumed that they will more-or-less represent the
state of the foods now. This should be so, as long as formulations
haven't changed greatly in the meantime. However, it would be nice if
each food had a date listed, giving when the analysis was obtained.
But when you say this...

It is an excellent starting point since it provides a comparison of
foods in one location. However, one can essentially do the same thing on
their own by checking what foods are available locally... then compiling
the data for those foods that interest them.

....you are dead on. I've mailed some of the manufacturers whose food
is available near me. So far, I have one reply; Petguard refused to
release the figures, stating that they are 'proprietary'. This makes
me wonder how the stats for Petguard were obtained on the various
websites. It also makes me very reluctant indeed to feed PG - and I
shall mail PG and tell them that their refusal will cost 'em a
customer. C'est la vie.

Let's see if anyone else can come up with the goods...

Steve.

Old November 10th 03, 10:30 PM
Phil P.

"Marek Williams" wrote in message
On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:20:34 -0800, "Karen M."
dijo:

It's so hard to get a cat to lose weight, isn't it? I feel for you,
believe me!

I have the opposite problem. I've been adopting Old George, a
neighborhood stray, over the past several months. He lives with me
pretty much all the time now. There is always food in his dish, of the
kinds that I've found to be his favorites. Still, he's skinny.

You might want to have his thyroid levels checked. Instead of the standard
T4 test, I recommend the free T4 by equilibrium dialysis (fT4ED) - its the
most accurate thyroid test to measure fT4. Itss more sensitive in assessing
thyroid function in cats where the T4 may be depressed or borderline or
fluctuates between normal and high.

Good luck.

Phil

Feeding time! Lois Reay Cat anecdotes 4 October 15th 03 12:09 AM
Looking for a vet... What questions should I ask? Al Kondo Cat health & behaviour 12 October 10th 03 07:59 PM
Tube feeding for liver disease?? Bill from Tampa Cat health & behaviour 10 August 20th 03 12:25 AM