Cruel Vet

Old October 12th 04, 04:20 AM
Sunflower

"S S" wrote in message

Last week Monday I took my cat to the Vet because his stomach was
bloated (before I had thought it was weight gain). It was a 10:00am
appointment, and we got there 9:55am. There was no one in the waiting
room, and it seemed there was no patients there except us.

11:20am the Vet finally came in, he checked his ears, his mouth, and
eyes... wrote some stuff down and then left the room for 30-minutes.

He came back to take an X-Ray of my cat (which cost $65 plus $35 for the
visit), then I had to wait 55-minutes for the results. When he came back
with the results he said "Whiskas" has fluid in his abdomen and it looks
serious. He said the cost of this will be $250 to drain the fluid, and
$325 to run tests and a Ultrasound.

Well, I didn't have the money in hand for him to drain the fluid. So,
since I didn't have the money right away I had to take Whiskas home but
was planning to bring him back on Friday when I had the money. The next
2 days Whiskas started to have trouble walking because of the amount of
fluid.

Then on Thursday morning around 9:00am Whiskas started shaking and
gotten very weak then went unconscious but with his eyes open and
breathing hard. I rushed him to the Vet and told the lady at the desk of
the emergency. Se gave my a form to fill out and then went in the back
all the while my cat is in the kennel unconscious. After filling out the
form I tapped the bell bell on the desk, she came back and took the
form. I went and sat down and waited for 5-minutes until she called me
in. Even when I went in with Whiskas "still unconscious" the Vet still
hasn't showed up and it's been about 10-minutes. When he finally came he
said "Whiskas really looks pretty bad". He checked his heart, his eyes,
and his ears... looked at me and said "Whiskas is on the verge on dying"
but said his heart was fine. Then suggested me to have him put to sleep.
He left the room and I am so confused, angry, and sad all at the same
time at how my cat was treated. It took me about 10-minutes to make the
decision to have him put down and the Vet did. As soon as he did put him
down he immediately said "You have to pay the cost of the visit plus the
cost of putting him down."

My question is why wasn't my cat immediately taken in and "worked on" to
revive him, etc?

They call themselves a "Hospital" but yet they didn't act like one. The
place seemed "empty" like he didn't have many patients go to him.

I watch "Emergency Vets" on the "Animal Planet" channel and they acted
like a real hospital. The owners didn't have to pay upfront when they
brought in their sick pet, so why was I my cat treated like this? Even
when I brought him in last Monday, the doctor shouldn't refuse him
treatment just because I didn't have the money on hand. Since it was an
emergency they could of drained the fluid, and then ran tests, the give
me the bill. They way they acted was like my cat was a "thing" such as a
car that nees "repair" but I have to have the money upfront in order to
get work done.

Are they that money hungry and cruel? He certainly didn't ask for money
upfront to have him put down though. I just don't understand.

He did NOTHING to see what was wrong with my cat, all he did was checked
his ears, and his chest then tells me he is dying when his heart was
beating fine. I am very ****ed off. My cat was 11-years old, and could
have lived if only the Vet took care of him last Monday.

It sounds as though the vet diagnosed your cat with FIP, which is usually
fatal. Knowing this, he offered to treat the animal (remove the fluid) in
order to make it more comfortable. Did you ask that a payment plan be
worked out so that the vet could treat your animal? Or did you just say
"not right now" and take your cat home? When your cat inevitibly got worse,
you brought it back in. You had already told the clinic that you couldn't
pay for the fluid removal, so they were more aggressive in attempting to be
paid for their services that you received. No, they weren't very sensitive
about it, and no I don't agree that a grieving pet owner should be bulldozed
then and there about the costs. But, veterinary care isn't free. It isn't
even cheap anymore, what with all of the newfangled gadgets a vet is
expected to have on hand in order to give the most up to date care to their
patients. It's not unreasonable that a vet expects to be paid for their
services, including euthanasia. And, it's not unreasonable that you would
ask to speak to the clinic owner about how you were treated.

Old October 12th 04, 06:20 AM
Cat Protector

I feel bad for the OP as well as Whiskas. This vet was not just an asshole
but an uncaring and unfeeling individual.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"MacCandace" wrote in message
I'm very sorry about Whiskas. The vet sounds like a real a$$hole (and I
stress
the $$ part). I know vets do get stiffed sometimes but I'm surprised he
didn't
offer to work out a payment plan with you the first time you took him in
considering that it was quite serious. In my experience, the vets I have
gone
to do not advertise that they will take a payment plan but if you're in a
pinch, then they will. It helps to have some sort of a relationship
established with a vet so that he/she will give you the benefit of the
doubt
should you ever need it.

I'm sure your kitty had a good 11 years prior to this awful ending. It's
very
sad for you and, although it won't help Whiskas any, I would do what
others
have suggested and report the jerk-vet to the vet board, the humane
society,
the BBB, whoever...

He's happy and whole again now and you will meet again someday.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye
other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old October 12th 04, 08:44 AM
MaryL

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message

"S S" wrote in message

When he finally came he
said "Whiskas really looks pretty bad". He checked his heart, his

eyes,
and his ears... looked at me and said "Whiskas is on the verge on

dying"
but said his heart was fine. Then suggested me to have him put to

sleep.
He left the room and I am so confused, angry, and sad all at the same
time at how my cat was treated. It took me about 10-minutes to make

the
decision to have him put down and the Vet did. As soon as he did put

him
down he immediately said "You have to pay the cost of the visit plus

the
cost of putting him down."

What an incredibly cruel thing to happen. This vet may even have
contributed to Whiskas' death. At the very least, he caused unnecessary
suffering. No vet has ever charged me for the cost of euthanasia. All
considered this to be a contribution to ease suffering.

Whereas I have been charged both times for my cats' euthanasia procedures.
A minor charge (approx. $25, IIRC), but.. it *is* a veterinary service -
with the vet spending a good 30 minutes of her time (once, as an

emergency,
on Easter Sunday), so why wouldn't they charge for it?

Cathy

You are correct, and I didn't make myself clear. I would not have any
objections to paying for euthanasia -- I was simply using my vet's attitude
as a contrast to what happened to the OP. Of course, my vet has also cared
for all of my cats for many years, and that creates a different relationship
than what could reasonably be expected from an emergency vet. The element
that I considered cruel and unconscionable was (1) the long delay, including
sending Whiskas home with no information for treatment, and (2) the rather
callous and cavalier attitude. It seems from the description that there was
no compassion and almost no treatment.

MaryL

Old October 12th 04, 01:12 PM
J1Boss

your cat's life is at stake and you're a
little short of cash, keep a counterfeit Rolex near the carrier and wear
your best clothes to the emergency vet...

Phil

Better yet, how about understanding the responsibility and expense of pet
ownership, and having a credit card or emergency fund for such instances. How
about having an ongoing relationship with a vet for your pet, so they know you
when you arrive and have a stake in the well being of your pet? How about
going to an animal ER instead of a regular vet (who it doesn't seem the OP had
been to before?).

I'm lucky to have several veterinary ERs in my area. ALL of them state the ER
fee up front. I go prepared to pay that fee plus whatever it takes for
diagnostics or treatment - that's my responsibility as a pet owner.

As luck would have it, most of the visits I've made to vet ERs have been at
some ungodly hour. That means I'm certainly not dressed in my Sunday best - If
I have a watch at all, it's a Timex or such. Rarely time to put on jewelry,
makeup, or "nice clothes" (and if we're dealing with a sick animal, ratty
clothes are generally more appropriate!). I go in with full knowledge that
this visit will cost me though. To do otherwise is pretty naive.

None of us knows whether this cat had any chance of survival. It sure wasn't
helped when the OP chose to take his very sick cat home for 4 more days. Why
not go beg, borrow and grovel for money MONDAY? And get that cat back to a vet
asap?

Easy to blame the "money grubbing vet" (most vets don't make a whole helluva
lot of money), when ultimately, the owner has a huge responsibility they have
failed to live up to.

Janet Boss
http://bestfriendsdogobedience.com/
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

Old October 12th 04, 02:17 PM
Phil P.

"J1Boss" wrote in message
your cat's life is at stake and you're a
little short of cash, keep a counterfeit Rolex near the carrier and wear
your best clothes to the emergency vet...

Phil

Better yet, how about understanding the responsibility and expense of pet
ownership,

self-righteous, sanctimonious crap snipped

As hard as it may be for you to believe, some people have financial
difficulties from time to time and live paycheck to paycheck - so give the
self-righteous crap a rest.

Old October 12th 04, 02:29 PM
J1Boss

"Phil" wrote:

As hard as it may be for you to believe, some people have financial
difficulties from time to time and live paycheck to paycheck - so give the
self-righteous crap a rest.

But it's ok to condemn a vet on some hearsay, and to ignore the fact that pet
ownership IS a financial responsibility?

Yes, we all have our financial limits. And we all have to be able to willing
to deal with the consequences of those. Facts of life.

If you remember, you condemned me for making a choice not to spend $1000+ for
an MRI to rule out a brain tumor. Hmmm - seems a tad hypocritical of you.