Icarus & UTI

Old January 22nd 05, 01:30 AM
Cat Protector

Default Icarus & UTI

I previously posted about another topic regarding peeing inappropriate
places. I just had Icarus checked as it was originally thought he was
spraying as a result of territory dispute. The vet confirmed that he did
have UTI (although they did state that spraying or urinating in places other
than the litterbox doesn't always mean a cat has UTI) and he is going to be
on anti-biotics for a few weeks. He also has to be on a special diet as
well. The vet also instructed me that he also needs to be confined to a
separate room for a while with his own food, water, and litterbox. I put him
in the bedroom so he'd be at least a little more comfortable than a small
bathroom. I also had to put his food and water on top of a bureau so I
wouldn't have problems with ants. The cats will have the main room to sleep
in and also have the dining area to eat but no access to the bedroom. Once
his condition clears up they'll all be sharing everything.

I have decided to switch all the cats on the same food as a precaution.
Though they all did fine on the stuff I was feeding them I would rather
prevent the other cats from getting what Icarus has now. The UTI was caught
early which was a good thing. The vet was also good and was very patient
when handling Icarus because he's a fireball when it comes to doctors. The
vet didn't talk down to me and I actually got to be present when he was with
Icarus unlike others that make you wait in another room or only do the
initial exam in front of you. He also showed me the urine sample as well as
showed me under the microscope so I could see the crystals for myself. My
parents have been happy with this vet ever since they adopted their two dogs
(it seems Animal Control recommends them for the first free adoption exam).
At least this vet is better than the last one our family used.

Anyway, if you suspect UTI then get the cat checked out at the vet. Catching
the signs early can really be the best thing and you also avoid having the
cat worked on surgically which is a lot more expensive than the $140 I had
to pay (that included the exams, shots, urinalysis, anti-biotic shot, pills,
first bad of special diet food, and of course the liquid anti-biotic. As
high as the price was for me, it was a small price to pay for Icarus' well
being not to mention that I now have a good vet for my cats. I learned
something new as I was never faced with a cat having UTI before. The vet
said that if it wasn't caught early then it could have cost at least $300. I
guess I saved some money and also got Icarus the help he needs. Maybe he
might be a little calmer with other cats in the process.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

Old January 22nd 05, 01:57 AM
Karen Chuplis

OK, my only question is, if you put htem all on the same food, why does
Icarus have to be isolated? That is what I did when Grant got crystals. They
all just eat the same food and my other two are girls with no problems.

Old January 22nd 05, 02:13 AM
Cat Protector

Well he recommended isolating them because the other two cats are still on
the same food (I have one more bag of the old stuff) and the food Icarus
needs to be eating for the next few weeks is a prescription diet. It is also
because of the litterbox issue and it was recommended that he have his own
litterbox for now that is not usable by the other cats in the household
until the UTI clears up. I'll be putting all the cats on the same food once
Icarus has ended having to eat this special dry food as well as the canned.

Old January 22nd 05, 02:30 AM
KellyH

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
Anyway, if you suspect UTI then get the cat checked out at the vet

Exactly. I'm glad you finally took him to the vet.
--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old January 22nd 05, 02:33 AM
Cathy Friedmann

Well he recommended isolating them because the other two cats are still on
the same food (I have one more bag of the old stuff) and the food Icarus
needs to be eating for the next few weeks is a prescription diet. It is

also
because of the litterbox issue and it was recommended that he have his own
litterbox for now that is not usable by the other cats in the household
until the UTI clears up. I'll be putting all the cats on the same food

once
Icarus has ended having to eat this special dry food as well as the

canned.

I can sort of understood separating him because of the food bit - until
they're all eating the same food, but I don't understand the litter box
part. When one of my cats had a UTI, there was no problem w/ him using the
same litter boxes as my other cat. Although, considering you have 3 cats,
having a second litter box would certainly be advisable - no matter what.

Cathy

Old January 22nd 05, 02:49 AM
KellyH

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
Well he recommended isolating them because the other two cats are still on
the same food (I have one more bag of the old stuff) and the food Icarus
needs to be eating for the next few weeks is a prescription diet. It is
also because of the litterbox issue and it was recommended that he have
his own litterbox for now that is not usable by the other cats in the
household until the UTI clears up. I'll be putting all the cats on the
same food once Icarus has ended having to eat this special dry food as
well as the canned.

I hope after this incident you will take some of us who have been warning
you about this very situation seriously. I know you think I'm a bitch and a
food snob, but I speak from the heart, and with experience. My cat Bartleby
got blocked twice within a few months. I was feeding middle-of-the-road
food at the time, I think either Science Diet or Iams. Dry only. The vet
switched to c/d and he still blocked a second time. Both of these instances
cost me about $300 at the vet. Bartleby did not pee outside the box as a
warning sign. The first one I caught when he sat on newspaper right in
front of me and peed blood. The second he was very lethargic and coughing.
He probably came very close to dying on that one.
My vet never encouraged canned food for Bartleby, I had to find that one out
on my own. Once I switched to super-premium food, Bartleby never had a
problem again. He eats mostly Wellness canned and a little bit of dry
snacks, Nutro Weight Management. I also have a water fountain for the cats
to encourage drinking more water.

I interact with hundreds of cats a year at the shelter, and am a part of
vetting day every week. I've picked up a lot in this experience. I'm sorry
that I got nasty with you before, but I felt you were not taking me
seriously. I care about all cats, and I was concerned for yours.

I hope he makes a full recovery from this and you do not have any further
problems.

Old January 22nd 05, 03:10 AM
Cat Protector

As I sit here pondering this, has anyone else had a vet recommend a cat with
UTI be separated from the other cats because of a litterbox or because a
special food was prescribed? It did sound strange to me when the vet
recommended it.

Old January 22nd 05, 03:13 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
newsCiId.1338$8Q.940@okepread06...
As I sit here pondering this, has anyone else had a vet recommend a cat

with
UTI be separated from the other cats because of a litterbox or because a
special food was prescribed? It did sound strange to me when the vet
recommended it.

Nope, separation. Just two courses of antibiotics - the first course
didn't work. Changed antibiotics & the second round did the trick.

Cathy

Old January 22nd 05, 03:25 AM
KellyH

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
newsCiId.1338$8Q.940@okepread06...
As I sit here pondering this, has anyone else had a vet recommend a cat
with UTI be separated from the other cats because of a litterbox or
because a special food was prescribed? It did sound strange to me when the
vet recommended it.

No, but I don't think it would hurt. It would make it easier to monitor his
litterbox usage.