Survey

Old April 18th 05, 02:51 PM
CatNipped

"Kalyahna" wrote in message

How many cats to you currently live with?

Three.

What are their ages and sex?

All female. 8-9, 6-7 (both former barn cats), and 8 months.

Are they purebred or moggies?

Moggies.

Are they neutered or spayed, if so at what age?

All spayed. The barn cats before I adopted them (at probably 1 and 2 years
old), and the kitten while I was fostering her.

Have they been bred or had a litter before you got them (I'm interested
in
what health issue might or might not be associated with this)?

The older barn cat is the mom of the other one, so yes, she had at least
the
one litter.

Are they closer to each other than they are to their house mate?

What type of food do you offer you cats, canned, moist, or dry?

Right now pretty much all dry. Upgrading next week when I'm going to start
the raw diet and upgrade to human-grade kibble and canned to supplement.

What made you decide to go with a raw diet? Have you got "recipes" for
getting the right nutritional mix?

Are they indoor only, mostly indoor, equally indoor and outdoor, mostly
outdoor, only outdoor?

Indoor.

How many cats have you lived with over the years of your life?

Crap. Somewhere around 16, not counting fosters. Or the ones we had when I
was too little to remember them.

Have you ever worked with cats in a veterinarian's office?

No.

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

Yep. Work at a shelter.

What do you do there?

Have you ever had any formal schooling regarding animal husbandry or cats

in
particular?

No.

How many non-fiction books have you read about cats?

Not enough.

Can you recommend any of those books as being helpful or valid in your
experience?

Not really.

Have you had many experience with cats' illnesses, if so what were they?

All sorts. Hepatic lipidosis to URI to epilepsy.

Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected medicines to a

cat?

Yup. All the time. And the pilling is endless at work.

I don't mind pilling mine - that's always been pretty easy. It's getting
liquid medications down their throats instead of all over the both of us
that's the problem! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 19th 05, 03:05 AM
Kalyahna

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Kalyahna" wrote in message

How many cats to you currently live with?

Three.

What are their ages and sex?

All female. 8-9, 6-7 (both former barn cats), and 8 months.

Are they closer to each other than they are to their house mate?

Definitely. I would call Pandora (mom) and Persephone (baby) bonded. Perse
is the more cat social of the two. Pan, on the other hand, is cat tolerant.

What type of food do you offer you cats, canned, moist, or dry?

Right now pretty much all dry. Upgrading next week when I'm going to

start
the raw diet and upgrade to human-grade kibble and canned to supplement.

What made you decide to go with a raw diet? Have you got "recipes" for
getting the right nutritional mix?

I was at a seminar a few days ago and one of the speakers was a vet who has
spent 15 years studying nutrition, and it's the way she goes. She's done all
the research on what goes into it and sells packages and recipes to cook it
up at home the easy way.

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

Yep. Work at a shelter.

What do you do there?

I'm an Admitting tech. Which basically means as the animals come in, we
vaccinate, deworm, run blood tests, do general physical exams. We do the
majority of the medications, especially with URI in cats, and we do the
euthanasia as well.

Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected medicines to a

cat?

Yup. All the time. And the pilling is endless at work.

I don't mind pilling mine - that's always been pretty easy. It's getting
liquid medications down their throats instead of all over the both of us
that's the problem! ;

Yeah. I know what panacur, strongid, and albon all taste like. None of 'em
are good.

Old April 21st 05, 02:22 AM
CatNipped

"Kalyahna" wrote in message

Are they closer to each other than they are to their house mate?

Definitely. I would call Pandora (mom) and Persephone (baby) bonded. Perse
is the more cat social of the two. Pan, on the other hand, is cat

tolerant.

This may sound weird, but how did Pandora get Persephone to quit nursing? I
got Sammy when she was 6 weeks old (a little young, but neither of us had a
choice - it was a home with us or the kill shelter), and she "nursed" on my
neck right from the start (try explaining *those* hickies at work! ;) I
finally "trained" her to at least such her own toe rather than my neck, but
she's now a year old, almost 15 pounds, and she's still sucking her toe!

What made you decide to go with a raw diet? Have you got "recipes" for
getting the right nutritional mix?

I was at a seminar a few days ago and one of the speakers was a vet who

has
spent 15 years studying nutrition, and it's the way she goes. She's done

all
the research on what goes into it and sells packages and recipes to cook

it
up at home the easy way.

Oh, then I would feel confident with that - I just don't feel very confident
trying it on my own since there are so many nutritional needs that you have
to meet in order to have a healthy cat.

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

Yep. Work at a shelter.

What do you do there?

I'm an Admitting tech. Which basically means as the animals come in, we
vaccinate, deworm, run blood tests, do general physical exams. We do the
majority of the medications, especially with URI in cats, and we do the
euthanasia as well.

Oh, man that must be the part of the job that sucks the most - I don't think
I could do it but I know it has to be done and I admire the people who do
have the emotional fortitude to do it.

Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected medicines to

cat?

Yup. All the time. And the pilling is endless at work.

I don't mind pilling mine - that's always been pretty easy. It's

getting
liquid medications down their throats instead of all over the both of us
that's the problem! ;

Yeah. I know what panacur, strongid, and albon all taste like. None of 'em
are good.

LOL. My last vet said she tasted all the meds she prescribed before she
gave them out, I wondered how the worm medicine may have affected her! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 21st 05, 02:43 AM
Cheryl

On Mon 18 Apr 2005 10:05:55p, Kalyahna wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav ):

Yeah. I know what panacur, strongid, and albon all taste like.
None of 'em are good.

I tasted the flagyl that Shadow used to have to take. That's when I
decided to use gelcaps. Blech.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old April 25th 05, 01:59 AM
Kalyahna

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Kalyahna" wrote in message

This may sound weird, but how did Pandora get Persephone to quit nursing?

got Sammy when she was 6 weeks old (a little young, but neither of us had

choice - it was a home with us or the kill shelter), and she "nursed" on

my
neck right from the start (try explaining *those* hickies at work! ;) I
finally "trained" her to at least such her own toe rather than my neck,

but
she's now a year old, almost 15 pounds, and she's still sucking her toe!

No idea. Perse was fully grown when I adopted them.

Oh, then I would feel confident with that - I just don't feel very

confident
trying it on my own since there are so many nutritional needs that you

have
to meet in order to have a healthy cat.

They send the mix nation-wide, and their recipes come from Dr. Pitcairn's
Guide to Complete Health for Dogs and Cats (or something like that).

I'm an Admitting tech. Which basically means as the animals come in, we
vaccinate, deworm, run blood tests, do general physical exams. We do the
majority of the medications, especially with URI in cats, and we do the
euthanasia as well.

Oh, man that must be the part of the job that sucks the most - I don't

think
I could do it but I know it has to be done and I admire the people who do
have the emotional fortitude to do it.

Honestly, for the most part, it's reasonable. It sounds horrible, I'm sure,
but I'd rather help put down a dangerous dog or an aggressive cat (we've had
some nasty ones, and I don't mean feral) than see it go out into the public.
The hardest part is making the choices between one sick cat and another sick
cat. They're both treatable, but how far can we go for each individual cat
when there are probably 10-15 coming in per day on a moderate day and closer
to 20 on a busy summer day? If we had unlimited resources or unlimited
foster homes, that might be a different story. But no shelter ever has
either of those things.

~J

Old April 25th 05, 11:01 AM

One cat left, aged 17
He is a birman
Yes he is neutered
Not been bred from
Brought up on whiskas wet
Now eats, renal support wet with small chunks of fresh chicken.
tuna with drops of liquid parrafin for chronic constipation and rice
bran in wet cat food with added water

Has food and water upstairs as well as down as he is finding it more
difficult now to go up and downstairs too often.

Have lived with 6 cats over the years.

Have not worked with vet but have worked with rescue organization,
sometimes with cats but mostly dogs.

Have read lots of books but "A Passion for Cats" by Desmond Morris and
Beryl Reid, read the most.

Have dealt with FIP (very sad),
conjunctivitus, toxiplasmosis, cystitus, broken leg, viruses, kidney
problems.

Not administered subQ fluids, tried to inject cat once, but couldnt
push the needle through the skin (it was a lot thicker than I expected)

Chris

Old April 25th 05, 11:06 AM

One book about cats body language and their behaviour and why they do
things is "Catlore" by Desmond Morris. Very interesting book. It
includes chapters on "When was the first can domesticated", how do cats
react to music, why do cats prefer to die alone, what is the cause of
cat phobia and how did the manx cat lose its tail.

Chris

Old April 25th 05, 02:29 PM
CatNipped

wrote in message
oups.com...
One book about cats body language and their behaviour and why they do
things is "Catlore" by Desmond Morris. Very interesting book. It
includes chapters on "When was the first can domesticated", how do cats
react to music, why do cats prefer to die alone, what is the cause of
cat phobia and how did the manx cat lose its tail.

Chris

Thanks! I'll put that one on my reading list.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 25th 05, 11:16 PM

CatNipped wrote:
How many cats to you currently live with?

2

What are their ages and sex?

F - 5 years
M - 3 years

Are they purebred or moggies?

moggies.

Are they neutered or spayed, if so at what age?

The 5 year old was spayed, I don't remember exacty how old, but in the
normal range.
The 3 year old was "spayed" before I adopted *him* from the rescue
organization (I'm guessing they got their wires crossed somewhere and a
general "fixed" became "spayed" because they thought "he" was actually
a "she"). I got him at 9 months.

Have they been bred or had a litter before you got them (I'm

interested in
what health issue might or might not be associated with this)?

Definitely not the older cat. I don't know anything about the younger
cat before I got him at 9 months.

What type of food do you offer you cats, canned, moist, or dry?

High quality dry. My older cat won't touch much, so I feed what I can.
She won't even eat any normal foods cats love like milk, cheese, or
tuna. Although she did eat tomato sauce once.

Are they indoor only, mostly indoor, equally indoor and outdoor,

mostly
outdoor, only outdoor?

Indoor.

How many cats have you lived with over the years of your life?

8.
Started with one when I was 2 years old.
When she was getting old we got a younger kitten.
Then somehow more cats just seemed to keep adopting my parents and I.
One was found out in our yard wandering around.
One was found in our HOUSE. The first time I saw her I thought she was
a squirrel that had somehow gotten in, and she disappeared before I
could catch her. When I saw her a second time we tracked down a hole
behind the dryer that went into a crawl space, that had a small opening
to the outside. We closed up that hole and kept her.
We had 5 at one point.
Now I'm on my own and just have the two.

Have you ever worked with cats in a veterinarian's office?

No.

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

No, but I've worked with a horse rescue.

Have you ever had any formal schooling regarding animal husbandry or

cats in
particular?

No.

How many non-fiction books have you read about cats?

Oh, a handful here and there over the years. I don't have any titles
readily available.

Have you had many experience with cats' illnesses, if so what were

they?

Not really, some of our first cats, but I was too young to know much
about it. One of the cats we had growing up developed skin cancer,
but I had already left home before that happened.

Old April 25th 05, 11:23 PM
Janet B

How many cats to you currently live with?

2

What are their ages and sex?

F - 11.75 years
M - 3 years

Are they purebred or moggies?

moggies (mixed).

Are they neutered or spayed, if so at what age?

F spayed at 5 months
M neutered at ~3 months

Have they been bred or had a litter before you got them (I'm

interested in
what health issue might or might not be associated with this)?

No.

What type of food do you offer you cats, canned, moist, or dry?

Canned only. Once in a while some roasted chicken. Carey gets to lick dinner plates as well.

Are they indoor only, mostly indoor, equally indoor and outdoor,

mostly
outdoor, only outdoor?

Indoor.

How many cats have you lived with over the years of your life?

8.

Have you ever worked with cats in a veterinarian's office?

Yes

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

Yes

Have you ever had any formal schooling regarding animal husbandry or

cats in
particular?

No.

How many non-fiction books have you read about cats?

don't know.

Have you had many experience with cats' illnesses, if so what were

they?

Personal cats: Cardiomyopathy, CRF, weird unexplained/neurological

Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected medicines to

a cat?

yes

--
Janet B