Okay, Louis' inappropriate urination is stress-related

Old July 29th 05, 06:27 AM
Brian Link

Default Okay, Louis' inappropriate urination is stress-related

We had Louis happily using all our cat boxes, and not peeing on doors.

My son's girlfriend has come to live with us, and he made one spray on
the original site (front closet door), but otherwise calmed down.

Then my mother-in-law came to visit, and we went from a 3-person
household (me, my wife and my son) to a 5-person household in a week.
On top of it, I discovered that our neighbor's cat is not spayed
(visited her outside and saw visible in-heat bleeding) AND there's a
new cat in the neighborhood roaming through our front yard. As a
kicker, we moved furniture and repainted two rooms in our house.

This was obviously too much for Mr Skittery Bengal. Front closet door:
SPLASH, den door: SPLASH, upstairs door: SPLASH, kitchen floor: GUSH
GUSH SPLASH.. KABOOM!! I seriously entertained, for the first time,
fitting him for stud pants..

We cleaned all the sites (using an enzyme cleaner and "Anti-Icky-Poo"
- an incredible product), my mother in law left, the paint dried, and
it's been way too hot to avoid the AC with open windows. One week and
counting, and he's not marked a single site.

Of course, being unable to question the offender, all us armchair cat
behavioralists are left with is circumstantial evidence, but this
seems pretty compelling.

The cystitis is still a possibility here, being stress related. I'm
thinking of taking Megan's advice and giving Louis Glucosamine
Chondroitin.

At least I'm pretty sure we can plan that when there are big changes,
he's gonna want to mark the whole damn house again.

I wish there was a really, really nice kennel we could send him to if
we need to do more redecorating, or need to leave for a few days.

Nonetheless, though I'm swayed away from supporting purebred breeders
after chatting in this group, Louis is the most amazing and curious
little kitty I've ever lived with. He is totally worth the effort
here. If we hadn't bought him, there's no telling what rich peeps
would be getting ready to eject their trophy-cat to a shelter.

BLink
Old July 29th 05, 11:00 AM
Phil P.

"Brian Link" wrote in message

(visited her outside and saw visible in-heat bleeding)

Cats don't bleed when they're in heat. The cat needs to be seen by a vet.

Old July 29th 05, 03:02 PM

Brian Link wrote:

Nonetheless, though I'm swayed away from supporting purebred breeders
after chatting in this group, Louis is the most amazing and curious
little kitty I've ever lived with. He is totally worth the effort
here. If we hadn't bought him, there's no telling what rich peeps
would be getting ready to eject their trophy-cat to a shelter.

BLink

Most owners would call him neurotic and turn him either outside or to a
shelter. That's what really makes me worry about the current popularity
of the Bengal. Breeders cranking more and more of them out, and they
really aren't right for everyone, but they get them anyway because they
are the current Trendy Cat.

Sherry

Old July 29th 05, 11:53 PM
Alison

"Brian Link" wrote in message
[...]

The GAG supplement is a good idea. I can't remember if you said
you tried Feliway but I would have a permanent plug- in where he
spends
most of his time or near his bed and use the Feliway spray on the
doors etc a
day or so you start any decorating or have visitors.
This is a good link about FLUTD and FIC
http://www.fabcats.org/flutd.html
Alison

Old July 31st 05, 09:09 AM
Brian Link

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 23:53:49 +0100, "Alison"
wrote:

"Brian Link" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for the info.

The Feliway diffusers have seemed to help (he's down to only two areas
of the six he's marked in the past).

They're so damn expensive, it would be nice to find a simple
behavioral fix.

We'll give the Chondroitin a try - though if you read below you'll
find the next reason we have to worry about little Louis.

(As an aside, Bengals are wonderful cats and very satisfying - but by
god they're not moggies - be prepared for major upkeep).

BLink
Old August 8th 05, 05:18 AM
Wendy

You can get feliway refills for around $14.00 online. They usually last a
month + so that isn't really all that expensive. I plugged ours back in to
keep the resident cats chilled out with the flow of foster kittens in and
out of here over the summer and all seem to be happy campers.

"Brian Link" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 23:53:49 +0100, "Alison"
wrote:

. ..