Unique cat rescue places loving pets with the elderly

Old September 1st 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
Chris[_3_]

Default Unique cat rescue places loving pets with the elderly

Often the elderly are both lonely and afraid to take on a pet due to
financial limitations or fears that no one will care for their kitty
when they pass away.

Kittens Inc was founded in 1978 by Mary Nell Weatherred who recognized
that these two groups needed each other!

She placed socialized stray cats with elderly and, if necessary due to
financial hardship, provided food, litter and vet services. If the cat
outlived their human partner, the cat came back to Kittens Inc.

Helped the strays, made life more pleasant for the elderly.

Please visit the website at www.kittensinc.com. If you like the idea,
start a similar group in your community!

If you are in the Dallas area, please consider making a donation or
adopting a cat or kitten.

My earlier post describes some lovely kittens and cats currently
available. They are living in a private home and are quite social and
very pretty.

Thanks.....

Please contact me with any questions, interest, etc. by emailing:

christine in van alstyne at Brian And Christine dot com

put underscores between the words of the first half, change the word at
to the at sign and run the rest of it all together (no spaces or
underscores) with the dot changed to, well, a dot.

Old November 5th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
Mickie Swall

Default Cat left in house after tenant eviction

I'm trying to find out if there are any laws regarding abandonment of a
cat by tenants that were evicted from the house. I called the Humane
Society, as well as about 10 different rescue places, all with excuses
that they don't want or can't take cats. Aren't there laws to fine the
people who abandon animals? I hear from time to time about people
leaving dogs in homes with no food or water, and they alway want to
find the people who left them there. Why not cats? I live in Western
Pennsylvania, and would appreciate knowing who to call and what to do.
Thank you!
Mickie

Old November 6th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
kraut

I'm trying to find out if there are any laws regarding abandonment of a
cat by tenants that were evicted from the house. I called the Humane
Society, as well as about 10 different rescue places, all with excuses
that they don't want or can't take cats. Aren't there laws to fine the
people who abandon animals? I hear from time to time about people
leaving dogs in homes with no food or water, and they alway want to
find the people who left them there. Why not cats? I live in Western
Pennsylvania, and would appreciate knowing who to call and what to do.
Thank you!
Mickie

I had a neighbor this past summer that defaulted on a house loan that
left behind 4 cats when they moved because they could not have cats
where they moved. They were left outdoors and eventually I live
trapped them all and found places for them.

The thing that got me most was that when I went to the local animal
control they would do nothing about it even though I gave them the
address where the cats were and the address where the people moved.
All they said was I could trap them if they casme on my place!!

It is like because they are cats people think they can care for
themselve even if they were housecats (Which these were) and are
suddenly left to fend for themselves outside!!

Old November 6th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
Mickie Swall

Recently a cat was shot through the hips with an arrow, in one side
and half way out the other. The cat died during surgery, now they are
looking for the hunter so they can prosecute or arrest or fine for cruelty to
animals or whatever. Guess the rules change when they find something
like this that is sensationally newsworthy.
Threre is one place I found that will take the cat, but we will have to
give them $50 first. That fee is to cover the vet (which is the first stop
before they take the cat home) and also care until they can find a new
home for it. I was told that their cats are not caged and have the run of
their home. I guess that is worth it to know it will not be killed, just irks
me that the tenants get away with paying nothing. The cat is currently
living/hiding in the ductwork of the vacant house. I opened one of the
floor vents to give it another exit only to find it full of feeces. Ick.

Old November 9th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
[email protected]

On Nov 5, 4:29 pm, "Mickie Swall" wrote:
I'm trying to find out if there are any laws regarding abandonment of a
cat by tenants that were evicted from the house. I called the Humane
Society, as well as about 10 different rescue places, all with excuses
that they don't want or can't take cats. Aren't there laws to fine the
people who abandon animals? I hear from time to time about people
leaving dogs in homes with no food or water, and they alway want to
find the people who left them there. Why not cats? I live in Western
Pennsylvania, and would appreciate knowing who to call and what to do.
Thank you!
Mickie

Hi. I am a detective in Georgia (Perry Police Dept.) and I have
worked numerous animal cruelty/abandonment cases. Check your state
and local laws concerning these issues. I am certain there is an
abandonment law in your jurisdiction. Call the police department and
get your answers.

Old November 10th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
Lesley

On 6 Nov, 07:52, kraut wrote:

It is like because they are cats people think they can care for
themselve even if they were housecats (Which these were) and are
suddenly left to fend for themselves outside!!

Worse still I know of a case where the people moved house and just
left their two cats locked in the old house with no food or
water....after three-four days a neighbour saw one of them at the
window and kicked the door in to rescue them. He/she couldn't keep
them so took them to a local vet from whence they should have gone to
a kill shelter but the receptionist there rescues and rehomes and by
devious plotting persuaded a friend of mine who had come to the vets
to collect the body of his old cat (he was taking Bingo to his mums to
bury) that if these poor cats went into a shelter as they weren't
kittens they'd probably be put down in short order, apparently her
performance had people in the waiting room in tears..

Okay he was conned...but he still got two beautiful cats and they got
a wonderful forever home so no-one's complaining but you have to
wonder what kind of person would do something like that

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old November 10th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
kraut

[...]

I am not one to put an animal down except in certain cases but I would
say that being humanely put down is better then slowly starving to
death in a house by themselves!!