A coincidence?

Old May 4th 09, 01:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default A coincidence?

On May 3, 11:36*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
When June came this morning she told me there was another cat missing from
my street. *She had seen it advertised for in the local paper - which she
buys and I don't.
It is a blue shorthair with three legs.
I do hope that there is not some weird person calling themselves a cat
rescuer cruising up and down my street picking up owned cats with health
issues which are being addressed by their own vet.
I am tempted to ask June for the phone number of the missing cat's owners so
I can advise them to check with the RSPCA & Mr Barrajo.

Tweed

Without shadow of a doubt, I think you should. It's more than a
coincidence.

Helen M
Old May 4th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On May 3, 3:36*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

I am tempted to ask June for the phone number of the missing cat's owners so
I can advise them to check with the RSPCA & Mr Barrajo.

I would- They may not have thought to contact vets and the RSPCA
anyway so you could give them a lead, which we hope would lead to a
happy ending

And if it turns out someone is doing just that (as you say you'd know
of any cat rescuers locally) then that's a whole matter for the
police

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old May 4th 09, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

wrote:
When June came this morning she told me there was another cat missing from
my street. *

WHAT?!! Hold on I didn't read the words "My street" the first time and
just after I'd hit the send button I remembered what you said
yesterday about being puzzled why you didn't know of someone local
doing cat rescue because I think you said something like there being
only about 100 houses in the place you live. And 2 cats have gone
missing? In such a small area.even if your street is the only one in
the whole place it's still a big worry- I mean I live in Bow- it's a
lot larger than 100 houses- I see occasional posters for lost cats and
duly make a note of the description and the mobile number to contact
in case I find them..but thinking back if I saw one missing cat poster
every 2 months I'd be pretty surprised and a lot of them aren't
"special needs" cats as they say- the commonest scenario is "We just
moved into the area and the cat got out" (A lot of people move to Bow
because if their company makes them relocate to London this is about
the nearest you can get to central London without the rent eating most
of your wages and still be able to get into the centre of town in
about 20 minutes(

If I had seen 2 missing cat posters in a month in Bow I'd worry what
was going on! But you in the same street have 2 missing cats in just
over a week,,,,,one elderly and frail and the other 3-legged....I'd at
very least contact the slaves of the other missing cat

The thought that someone might be cruising for what they see as cats
who need to be PTS worries the Hell out of me!

Old May 4th 09, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatEyes

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
When June came this morning she told me there was another cat missing from
my street. She had seen it advertised for in the local paper - which she
buys and I don't.
It is a blue shorthair with three legs.
I do hope that there is not some weird person calling themselves a cat
rescuer cruising up and down my street picking up owned cats with health
issues which are being addressed by their own vet.
I am tempted to ask June for the phone number of the missing cat's owners
so I can advise them to check with the RSPCA & Mr Barrajo.

Tweed

As others have counseled, I would go and talk to them about what happened to
KFC. As much as it hurts, it's still better to know for a fact what
happened than it is to always wonder and imagine horrific fates.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 5th 09, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"Will in New Haven" wrote in message
On May 3, 6:36 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
When June came this morning she told me there was another cat missing
from
my street. She had seen it advertised for in the local paper - which she
buys and I don't.
It is a blue shorthair with three legs.
I do hope that there is not some weird person calling themselves a cat
rescuer cruising up and down my street picking up owned cats with health
issues which are being addressed by their own vet.
I am tempted to ask June for the phone number of the missing cat's
owners so
I can advise them to check with the RSPCA & Mr Barrajo.

I would do that if it were my neighborhood. I had a neighbor who had a
screaming indignant fit at another neighbor because the second
neighbor's three-legged dog had not been put down. He did this several
times, threatening to call the ASPCA and otherwise making a nuisance
of himself. That dog had a wonderful quality of life, full veterinary
care from the vet who had had to take the leg, and used to romp with
my Snowball (RB) with no problems. But this guy was a "humanitarian"
and very self-righteous. Fortunately. the dog was never around where
he could "rescue" him.

I am reminded of a cat named George. George was a very elderly gentleman
cat. Impeccable manners, very friendly, much loved by a caring owner who
saw to his every need (including veterinary). Problem was, George, in his
later years, looked appalling. He was skinny, his fur was not what it was
and he had no teeth. George liked nothing better than parking himself in
the sunny flower bed at the edge his home to soak up the rays - all that
lovely heat on his old bones. The flower bed was on the edge of his home
and fronted a street. Over the years George's owner got regular and not
infrequent phone calls from her vet (who had a practice nearby) asking her
to come and collect George as yet another well-meaning stranger had
brought this elderly 'stray' in to be dealt with... Luckily George's vet
could tell any well-meaning stranger that George may look moth-eaten but
he most certainly was not due for his final journey and he was not a
stray.

It was unfortunate that KFC was not taken to her own vet, as they would have
phoned me immediately to collect her.
I did not have her microchipped as she rarely stepped a few feet from her
house and she didn't last time. She was just in the front of her own house
looking for her meowmie when she was picked up by a "cat rescuer"
I can just imagine it. She will have gone up to them being a nice cat for a
skritch and stroke, next thing she meets Mr Barrajo and gets the needle.

It's inexcusable as her own vet is (was) treating her.

Tweed

Old May 5th 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
When June came this morning she told me there was another cat missing from
my street. She had seen it advertised for in the local paper - which she
buys and I don't.
It is a blue shorthair with three legs.
I do hope that there is not some weird person calling themselves a cat
rescuer cruising up and down my street picking up owned cats with health
issues which are being addressed by their own vet.
I am tempted to ask June for the phone number of the missing cat's owners
so
I can advise them to check with the RSPCA & Mr Barrajo.

Tweed

Without shadow of a doubt, I think you should. It's more than a
coincidence.
----------
Sadly June has used the newspaper for her puppies to pee on so am not able
to get in touch with the person in my street whose cat is missing.
I too, think it is more than a coincidence.

Tweed

Old May 5th 09, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Christina Websell wrote:

Sadly June has used the newspaper for her puppies to pee on so am not able
to get in touch with the person in my street whose cat is missing.
I too, think it is more than a coincidence.

Call the paper - ask for details from the advert?
Is that issue still on sale?

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old May 5th 09, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

wrote:
[...]

Newspapers have a library (formerly referred to as the morgue) where all copies of the newspaper are filed. They should be glad to help you find the article. Best wishes. MLB

Old May 6th 09, 07:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Sadly June has used the newspaper for her puppies to pee on so am not able
to get in touch with the person in my street whose cat is missing.
I too, think it is more than a coincidence.

Tweed

Your local library will have a copy.

Old May 7th 09, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default A coincidence? UPDATE

I managed to get the phone number of the person whose cat is missing in my
street and got in touch with her this evening.
Her cat has been missing since April 12th, she is terribly worried about him
as I think I mentioned he has only three legs and is on medication.

I did not give too much away at first, I just said that my cat was also
missing and had she checked with the RSPCA and all the local vets, and if so
which vets had she been in touch with? She named all the local vets
(including Barrajo) none have seen him and the RSPCA haven't had a found
report either. She had also been in touch with the local council who have a
service to pick up animals killed on the roads (foxes, badgers, cats, dogs)
although rarely dogs as they are not allowed to wander so that would only be
if one went missing accidentally and got killed racing around in a panic as
they tend to do if they get lost. No joy there either. He seems to have
disappeared from the face of the earth.
What was more disturbing was that she told me that she knew of two kitties
missing from this area in the last month, a tabby and a tortie and she asked
me if mine was the tortie. I said no.
I was glad I was a bit circumspect at first as she went on to say that she
"sometimes did a bit of cat rescue." I asked her about it and she said
that she had several cats, her colleagues and friends knew she loved them
and if they knew of one someone didn't want, she would try to find it a
home.
I asked her if she was a regular client of Mr Barrajo and she said she
wasn't. She said she *had* used him in the past but he does not offer an
out of hours service so she went elsewhere.
I just had to find out, so I asked her point blank if she had picked up KFC
and taken her to Mr Barrajo thinking she might be in trouble. At that stage
I hadn't told her what had happened. She said she hadn't, she did not
operate like that, in fact only got involved in desperate circumstances when
people came to her and really wanted to give it up as she was getting too
old. Not only that, she lives much further up the road, not in the
cul-de-sac end like I do and when I explained where I was, she said she
hadn't been down there for years. I believe her.

Then I told her the full story. She was shocked. She doesn't know of
anyone else rescuing cats in this area and is now afraid that someone picked
up her 3 legged boy thinking he needed "rescuing". It is also a coincidence
that her lad loved the sun and was frequently sunbathing on the wall outside
her house just like KFC was no doubt doing when she was snatched.
We also considered the possibility of foxes. She said her cat is really
big - and he looked massive in his photo which I saw online - but as I said
to her he has only one front paw to fight with. I didn't say maybe he could
not get up a tree away from a fox and I am not sure about that.
Most foxes will not take a cat, but at this time of the year when they have
cubs of around 8 weeks old needing meat some will try it.

The outcome of our conversation was we both thought it was suspicious that 4
cats are gone in this small area. She has a friend in the police force that
she will mention it to. Not that they will do anything about it atm. but if
it keeps happening they will have to.

She seemed really nice, a genuine cat lover. It is not her who took KFC, in
fact she is very interested in finding out who it might be in case it was
them who took her own cat. She says she will "put feelers out" and let me
know what she finds out.
(It cannot be her, as she told me where she lived)
I know the house, I pass it every day coming home from work - there are
often a few cats outside.

Tweed