[OT] Thunderbird is go!

Old August 15th 08, 10:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie[_2_]

Default [OT] Thunderbird is go!

On Wednesday, Joel's PC contracted the "VirusRemover2008" virus - he
thinks it was via playing a flashgame, but can't be sure. I tried my
best, but it was very *very* infected. It had hijacked all outlets to
the internet, and would only connect to a particular page that would -
after paying $29.95 download the 'tool' that would 'remove' it. Any
attempt to scan the computer with AVG (our virus protection) resulted in
a hang; and since it had subverted IE, I couldn't download anything else.

In the end, we had to wipe his hard drive and start again. Of course,
being the folks that we are, we had put all our Windows disks plus the
games disks in a 'safe' place, so it took a while to find them and start
again. He still can't find the OEM code for Call of Duty 4, so is still
going a little stir crazy.

As a result, we've both decided to take the plunge and go over to
Firefox & Thunderbird as they are both less susceptible to virii (not
totally secure, but safer). Using Firefox is easy, but this new fangled
mail & news program is going to take a little getting used to.

Setting up newsgroups wasn't too painful (reminds me of Netscape, and I
always liked Netscape better than IE), but getting it to sort my mail
such that all the messages go int the right folders. ACK! Oh well, steep
learning curves aren't steep forever. I do like the automatic spell
check here. Wish me luck!

Yowie
--
I haven't figured out how to put a .sig in yet.
Old August 15th 08, 11:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Yowie wrote:
[...]

Good luck purrs on the way.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 15th 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Maybe after all that programming you or the puter are not feeling very

Old August 15th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Setting up newsgroups wasn't too painful (reminds me of Netscape, and I
always liked Netscape better than IE), but getting it to sort my mail
such that all the messages go int the right folders. ACK! Oh well, steep
learning curves aren't steep forever. I do like the automatic spell
check here. Wish me luck!

Yowie

That's definitely a painful experience, but I believe you'll be happy with
those two programs. Firefox is a much better browser than IE and, as you
said, much less prone to security issues. And Thunderbird is still my
preferred mail client. The only reason I run Evolution at work is that
they still mistakenly think they need the other features built into
Microsoft Sexchange.

I used to do all of my newsgroup browsing via TBird as well. I still like
it for that, but prefer Pan (Linux/Windows) or MT Newsreader (Mac).

Dan
Old August 15th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:05:29 +1000, Yowie wrote:

Setting up newsgroups wasn't too painful (reminds me of Netscape, and I
always liked Netscape better than IE), but getting it to sort my mail such
that all the messages go int the right folders. ACK! Oh well, steep
learning curves aren't steep forever. I do like the automatic spell check
here. Wish me luck!

Huh? Message filtering and routing is one of Tbird's strongest points. As
long as there is something or a group of somethings that is constant in
all the messages to go to a specific folder, you just create a filter to
recognize the thing and move or copy the message accordingly. I use about
a dozen folders (and several times that many filters) on my primary
account. The only times there are errors are when the sort field in the
message changes. The only caviat I've encountered is to avoid the "make
filter from message" function.

Maybe I can help you - email me the details of what you want to do and
maybe I can tell you how to set it. I do this sort of thing for some of
our retired faculty all the time.

--
T.E.D. )

Old August 16th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Yowie wrote:

Setting up newsgroups wasn't too painful (reminds me of Netscape, and I
always liked Netscape better than IE), but getting it to sort my mail
such that all the messages go int the right folders. ACK! Oh well, steep
learning curves aren't steep forever. I do like the automatic spell
check here. Wish me luck!

I'm a computer blonde and I've used Thunderbird for ages now. I really
like it and it seems easy to me. Good luck with yours! I hope it will be
a long and fruitful relationship.

Old August 16th 08, 09:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie[_2_]

Ted Davis wrote:
[...]

Oh, don't get me wrong, its not that I don't understand thunderbird's
filtering. Its just the sequence of filters that i need to fiddle with.
It was the same in OE - I need to make sure that (for example) a message
coming in on my yahoo account (ie, my most public one) still lands in my
Yowie folder unless it has 'catslaves' in the subject line, then it goes
to Catslaves. But if it has both (for example) [catslaves] and
[flippyscatgroup] which folder it ends up in. Even in OE it took some
fiddling and some testing, but I worked it out. The rule structure for
Thudnerbird is a bit different, so I've got to start from scratch. I had
over 30 rules in OE, so you can see I do alot of fine tuning - I have 18
folders that they could go into, and about 7 mail accounts (all for
different things).

The most important thing is that I never miss a message from either my
mother or Jean. They get very worried if I don't reply within 24 hours
and I get one of those "I was so worried, i thought you were dead" type
phone calls. Bless 'em both, its out of love, but they're phone calls I
don't like getting, when its just because I've overlooked an e-mail
somewhere (at work, at home, on yahoo or gmail or my ispmail or posted
accidently on Catslaves rather than a private e-mail...)

Yowie
Old August 16th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Yowie wrote:
[...]

Congratulations on joining the Firefox and Thunderbird Brigade!

Ginger-lyn