What Do you do? A Poll

Old January 15th 05, 06:42 PM
Irulan

I'm a retired psychiatric nurse.
Jazz's mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come
to the stars we return
from now until the end of time
"Tanada" wrote in message
ink.net...
Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money? I know we
have some, ok a lot, of computer geeks, educators (or what passes for one)
and so forth. You don't have to be any more specific than you want, but I
confess to being extremely curious. If you're currently out of work, you
don't have to say so, just list your career field.

I am a Substitute Teacher for Cumberland Co. North Carolina, married to a
Blackhawk mechanic/inspector who is medically retired from the US army.

Pam S.

Old January 15th 05, 06:48 PM
jmcquown

Sherry wrote:
Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money? I
know
we have some, ok a lot, of computer geeks, educators (or what
passes for one) and so forth.

Before desktop publishing was ever heard of, I was a "typesetter."
There's a word you don't hear anymore.

LOL I learned programming on punch cards.

More recently I managed the art department at a metro newspaper and
did ad design / layout, page layout, etc. Then my health just didn't
allow me to work anymore.
Now I think I'm what you call a recluse.

Sherry

Jill ---also a recluse

Old January 15th 05, 07:15 PM
Mathew Kagis

"Seanette Blaylock" wrote in
message

Is there a no-alcohol option? :-)

Zaphod Beeblebrox would hang both his heads & weep....

Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat
En Vino Veritas

Old January 15th 05, 07:40 PM
Jo Firey

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Jeanne Hedge wrote:
Tax unfairness aside (and that's a pretty huge aside), I think I read
somewhere that you could do something with legal documents (something
like power of attorney) that would allow you to have legal say-so
regarding medical things and other personal affairs. I think it's
criminal that something like that should be necessary, but is that a
possiblity?

Yes, I have downloaded the necessary forms, but have yet to print them and
have them notarized. Like I told Tom, all I want is the power to pull the
plug on you... ;-)

--

Make sure they are the right forms for your state. Most hospital admission
clerks have sets of forms they will give you although you really don't want

While many of the domestic partner laws are at least a step in the right
direction, a big drawback is they differ from state to state. So you can
never be sure where you stand.

Jo

Old January 15th 05, 07:41 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:15:55 GMT, "Mathew Kagis"
yodeled:

"Seanette Blaylock" wrote in
message

Is there a no-alcohol option? :-)

Zaphod Beeblebrox would hang both his heads & weep....

OK, I'll bite-- what is *in* a RL version PanGalactic Gargleblaster?

Theresa
Old January 15th 05, 07:49 PM
jmcquown

Irulan wrote:
I'm a retired psychiatric nurse.
Jazz's mama

This explains why you are owned by cats... as far as I can tell they all
require psychiatric care

Old January 15th 05, 08:09 PM
Mathew Kagis

"badwilson" wrote in message

"Mathew Kagis" wrote in message

Britta: You live in Thailand?? Where?

Yes, I've lived in Thailand for almost 4 years. For the first 6
months we were in Songkhla, which is in the very south on the east
coast. Near Hat Yai. But for the last 3.5 years, we've been in a
small town called Ban Chang in the province of Rayong. It's about 45
min east of the cesspool that is known as Pattaya.

I was in Songkhla, doing the: 30 sec in Malaysia to re-up my Thai visa
thing... I never went to Pattaya, mostly becaus I heard it was a cesspool.
Mostly known for sex tourism, which was not my cup 'o tea.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But you would be surprised at how much
Thailand has changed since you were here. I'm guessing that you were
rock climbing at Raylay Beach in Krabi near Au Nang? I've been there
5 times. During that time it's grown incredibly. There is now a
McDonald's, dozens of ATM's, 7/11's, Italian pizza restaurants, etc...
I know Starbucks will be next.

I indeed spent about 2 months at Raylay. I'm sure it's changed alot... I
remember Krabi as a Nelson sized town, with no 'western' franchise spots.
Right now, I'm sure it's a big mud pit, recovering from the Tsunami. I was
disgusted when I saw a Pizza Hut in Chiang Mai, but all those beautifull
Wats made up for it.. You kinda expect that stuff in Bangkok... I remember
being gratefull for the 7/11 in the Kao San Rd area... Only spot with air
conditioning...

I like the idea of naming cats after wines. If I hadn't already
decided a long time ago to name my next kitty Renfield, I would
definitely call him Gewurtztraminer ;-)

LOL... When I adopted Muscat, there was a little mottled grey kitten who
almost came home instead, I was toying with the name 'Sauterne'.

Oh cool, you're in Nelson? I love that town. I went to college in
Castlegar for 2 years. 1990-1992. I was in the aviation program at
Selkirk. We used to go to Nelson to party all the time. I don't
remember Louie's Steakhouse & Lounge, but if it was around back then I
couldn't have afforded it anyway.

Louie's is a fairly new concern in Nelson. It's in the New Grand Hotel,
which you would have known as the Lord Nelson. Well, the martini offer is a
standing one, so if you ever come back for a visit... Nice pics BTW...
brought back some memories.

Old January 15th 05, 08:18 PM
Mathew Kagis

OK, I'll bite-- what is *in* a RL version PanGalactic Gargleblaster?

'The effect of drinking a Pangalactic Gargleblaster is like having your
brains smashed out with a slice of lemon, wrapped 'round a large gold
brick" - Douglas Adams

OK, our recipie is: El Jimador tequila, Absinthe & Goldshlager (gotta
represent the gold brick somehow) Shaken on Ice, served in a Martini glass
& garnished (of course) with a slice of lemon. Limit, 2 per customer...;-)

Old January 15th 05, 08:36 PM
Sherry

My mom was a typesetter when she was young too, building up the text
from the individual characters made out of metal. Then she went on to
doing it on computer-like machines, not so computer-like in the
beginning tho, they were loud machines as they operated on pressurized
air, punching holes into a ribbon of paper - that was the text.

YES. Your mom either worked with Compugraphic or Verityper. Back then, setting
up print jobs was a real craft, and took a lot of skill. You couldn't "see"
what you were creating until it was finished, ran the punched tape through the
machine and you developed the film. If you were typing a long legal notice, and
lost your place, it was a nightmare to figure out from the punched tape where
you left off. Imagine doing desktop publishing without a monitor. That's what
it was like. Still I loved it though. I remember when Compugraphic came out
with the Unisetter, and you could see your text one line at a time. I though,
wow, that's for wimps.
Your mom & I *would* have a lot to talk about!

Sherry

In her
later years and up until she retired, she worked in sales - selling
printed products such as business cards, forms, letterhead papers,
whatever anyone would want to have printed.

You two might have a thing or two to talk about if you ever met...

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Old January 15th 05, 09:00 PM
Pat

"Sherry " wrote in message
[...]

And I remember when Compugraphic first developed "computerized
phototypesetting". I worked for a magazine in Boston that used this behemoth
machine. Errors could be corrected and files could be saved. It had special
command keys. They refined the machine over the years and made it smaller
and smaller, and more efficient. But when I worked on it you needed several
strong men to move it away from the wall enough to do any repairs in the
back.