What would you do to save a cat? (VERY LONG)

Old May 9th 04, 03:31 AM
Sherry

She felt it was one of his joys in life and didn't want to
deprive him of it, and she didn't think he'd really hurt a cat (I
wasn't so sure). Usually the cats just got away, occasionally he'd
corner one and end up with a scratched nose or foot. Eventually
she decided to keep him on a leash because he was getting beaten
up by too many cats. Good for them!

Joyce

I think I"ve told this story before, but I was curious the reason Happy never
chased cats that stood their ground. He'd lay down and roll his big old brown
eyes up at them. DH theorized he thought the cats that didn't run from him
probably had a gun.

Sherry
Old May 9th 04, 05:30 AM
Hopitus2

I've never met the Shmogg, but somehow I don't believe anyone would ever
confuse him with a sheep......

"Yoj" wrote in message
hlink.net...
: "Yowie" wrote in message
: u...
: "Sherry " wrote in message
: ...
: Well, I dunno about eating the house, but our next-door neighbor
: had for
: years a border collie, sweet female, friendly, now at RB......the
: d-pet
: would, if I or anyone else was in such a mood, chase a thrown stick
: or
: ball
: for literally hours on end, tirelessly. It used to run like the tv
: shows
: where the dog is herding cattle or sheep together, although
: "fierce" is
: not
: a term I would have used to describe her. She wasn't "yappy"
: either.
:
: They're really sweet dogs. Just high-energy and smart. The people
: who
: adopted
: this one weren't bad people; they just didn't know much about dogs
: and IMO
: not
: a lifestyle suited for a BC. They thought the dog would be happy
: spending
: 12
: hours alone in the backyard while they were at work. She got bored
: and
: started
: eating the vinyl siding off their home. IMO, the shelter personnel
: did the
: dog
: a real injustice by not counseling the prospectives.
: Also a bit of trivia I've heard about BC's--they are notorious
: car-chasers
: and
: known for getting run over if loose--they try to "herd" the
: automobile
: much
: like they'd herd a sheep--by cutting in front of it. Amazing how a
: dog who
: never saw a sheep does that--all those generations of herding
: ancestors
: comes
: out.
:
: I always said that what Fluffy would *really* like for Christmas is a
: couple
: of sheep to herd. :-) Shmogg just doens't cut the mustard in that
: respect.
:
: Yowie
:
: No, having met him, I can believe that Shmogg wouldn't herd too well.
: ;-)
:
: Joy
:
:

Old May 9th 04, 05:30 AM
Hopitus2

I've never met the Shmogg, but somehow I don't believe anyone would ever
confuse him with a sheep......

"Yoj" wrote in message
hlink.net...
: "Yowie" wrote in message
: u...
: ...

Old May 9th 04, 02:32 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 9 May 2004 09:31:57 +1000, "Yowie"
yodeled:

wrote in message
.. .
John F. Eldredge wrote:

I got a good laugh once at a Shih Tzu who was barking fiercely at a
Great Dane. The Great Dane was paying no attention whatsoever.

Well, 72 out of 79... what do you expect? **

Joyce

** This refers to a ranking some dog-fancier group did on dog
intelligence according to breed. Border collies were #1, the smartest.
There were 79 breeds ranked, and Shih Tzus came in at #72.

Fluff is half border collie. The other half is an Aussie Cattledog, also
another intelligent breed. Sadly, said intelligences are obviously
opposites, because when combined, you end up with, well, a Fluffy.

Yowie

How funny.

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)

Old May 9th 04, 10:23 PM
Yowie

"Sherry " wrote in message
She felt it was one of his joys in life and didn't want to
deprive him of it, and she didn't think he'd really hurt a cat (I
wasn't so sure). Usually the cats just got away, occasionally he'd
corner one and end up with a scratched nose or foot. Eventually
she decided to keep him on a leash because he was getting beaten
up by too many cats. Good for them!

Joyce

I think I"ve told this story before, but I was curious the reason Happy

never
chased cats that stood their ground. He'd lay down and roll his big old

brown
eyes up at them. DH theorized he thought the cats that didn't run from him
probably had a gun.

Its prolly the same instinct that makes greyhounds chase after the "rabbit"
but otherwise be complete couch potatoes. If its moving, chase/herd/hunt it,
if its not moving, its not on their "radar".

Yowie

Old May 30th 04, 07:48 PM
John F. Eldredge

--