Getting used to the cat

Old June 5th 04, 05:14 AM
Marina

"Takayuki" wrote
Is there ever a point when you finally get used to your cat? I've had
Betty for over a year now, and I haven't gotten used to it.

You never do. I've lived with cats my whole life, and I still feel the way
you do. It's only when you are without them for one reason or another that
you realise how used you are to having them around.

I'll be taking the cats to the island on Midsummer, when I have a long
weekend off work. Then I will leave them there (in my mother's care) while I
come back for one more week of work before my holiday starts. This is what I
do each summer. That one week without the cats is the longest week of the
year. I see them out of the corner of my eyes, I hear them doing things
around the house, I feel them coming up on the bed at night, but there is no
one there.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old June 5th 04, 05:58 AM
Takayuki

"badwilson" wrote:

Hmmm, I'd say that I'm *used* to having Vino. I'm damn happy to have him,
he's my bestest buddy. But I still have to stop and comment on every cute
pose I find him in and scritch his cute little cheeks and rub his fuzzy
belly many times every day. Even though he has been in those cute poses
hundreds of times, each time is cuter than the last and I have to comment.
When Dennis isn't around, I just talk to Vino himself to myself about how
adorable he is. Then I send Dennis descriptive emails about the cuteness of
Vino. When Dennis is home, probably 50% of our conversation revolves around
some cute thing that one of us has seen Vino do. It is rather pathetic,
really. But we just can't help it if we have the cutest cat in the world
;-)

You're so enslaved! 50% is really a lot.

I'm hoping that I'll eventually get used to Betty, too. I figure that
when I'm finally used to her, Betty and I will just be pals. Instead
of having a cat-goddess/worshipful servant relationship, we can be
equals.

Old June 5th 04, 06:03 AM
Takayuki

"Marina" wrote:

You never do. I've lived with cats my whole life, and I still feel the way
you do. It's only when you are without them for one reason or another that
you realise how used you are to having them around.

I'll be taking the cats to the island on Midsummer, when I have a long
weekend off work. Then I will leave them there (in my mother's care) while I
come back for one more week of work before my holiday starts. This is what I
do each summer. That one week without the cats is the longest week of the
year. I see them out of the corner of my eyes, I hear them doing things
around the house, I feel them coming up on the bed at night, but there is no
one there.

I'm glad that I'm not the only person that happens to. Cats are like
very bright lights. They burn themselves into your brain, leaving an
afterimage so that you always see them, even when they're not actually
there.

Sometimes, it's like Betty is in every corner. I think I hear her
walking around behind me - but she's really somewhere else, probably
toying with my mind through telepathy.

I'll bet grandmeow feels the same way you do when you take back Frank
and Nikki after the week is over.