Fibromyalgia [OT]

Old August 5th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

Default OT: Lunch (was Fibromyalgia [OT])

On Aug 5, 9:52*am, "CatNipped" wrote:
"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in ...

You know, if I ever get to visit my dad again, I'm writing to you and
taking you to lunch. *He lives in Lufkin (we've talked about that
before). *When I fly down, I go through Bush Airport, but I'm sure I
could find you. *Nope, not a stalker, don't sweat that.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------*--------

I would *LOVE* to meet you IRL. *I live pretty close to IAH - I could come
get you and take you to Papa's Seafood (they actually fix food here that any
restaurant in New Orleans would be proud to serve). *So let me know next
time and we'll make plans!

...and for *you*, I promise to try seafood and not make a ton of faces
over it snicker. I'm not a huge seafood fan, but I'm willing to try
things. Wouldnt' let you buy though, you'll have to let me do that
(since I invited).

SD (Annie)
Old August 6th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Default Fibromyalgia [OT]

CatNipped wrote:
"Ginger-lyn" wrote in message
I've always suspected, but finally, last week, I got the diagnosis.

I'm supposed to exercise an hour a day (say WHAT????? Not with THIS
ankle, dude!) and double my Neurontin at night for two weeks, then triple
it if I am not doing better (which I am not, at the almost one-week mark).

I don't know much about the disease; what I've read is pretty confusing.

Anybody else here have it and want to share a bit about it?

Thanks,

Ginger-lyn

Mess Extraordinare

I have it. And so does Annie ("Smokie Darling"). What did you want to
know? I could write pages about it, but it helps if you have a more
specific request.

BTW, they had me on Neurontin and Effexor - neither helped in the slightest
bit. The only thing that really helps is being able to get as much
*restful* sleep as possible (if you can, go have a sleep study done). I
take 2 Ambien and 3 Flexeril at night and still don't get an undisturbed
night's sleep.

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Just what you answered. I can read what the doctors say on medical
pages, but I want to know about real experiences, and what works for
people and what doesn't.

I didn't realize I wasn't getting good sleep, but now that I think
about, I can't really remember dreams anymore. And my sleep is all over
the place. Maybe I should ask about Ambien?

Ginger-lyn
Old August 6th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:
On Aug 4, 1:23 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
"Ginger-lyn" wrote in message

I've always suspected, but finally, last week, I got the diagnosis.
I'm supposed to exercise an hour a day (say WHAT????? Not with THIS
ankle, dude!) and double my Neurontin at night for two weeks, then triple
it if I am not doing better (which I am not, at the almost one-week mark).
I don't know much about the disease; what I've read is pretty confusing.
Anybody else here have it and want to share a bit about it?

You are supposed to avoid stressful and emotional situations (so,
um... the new cat thing... not a good idea, but I *totally*
understand). ;-)

lol -- if anyone would, it would be you guys. And avoiding stress in my
life right now anyway is impossible.

Thanks,
Ginger-lyn
Mess Extraordinare

I have it. And so does Annie ("Smokie Darling"). What did you want to
know? I could write pages about it, but it helps if you have a more
specific request.

Yep, ditto. I'm awfully sorry you both have it. It completely
sucks. I'm managing with Ambien and Flexeril. Not great, but I'm
managing.

BTW, they had me on Neurontin and Effexor - neither helped in the slightest
bit. The only thing that really helps is being able to get as much
*restful* sleep as possible (if you can, go have a sleep study done).

Yeah, let's see... they told me I don't fall into REM sleep. Ever.
Hmmm, like *I* didn't know that snicker. Sorry.

take 2 Ambien and 3 Flexeril at night and still don't get an undisturbed
night's sleep.

There is a board called Fibromyalgia Tenderness, (I suggest avoiding
the alt.med.fibro group at all costs - they degenerate into flame wars
about every other week, seems to be in one now I think) that has lots
of suggestions, but most will tell you that a full night's sleep is
probably a thing of the past.

Thanks Annie for the recommendation. Is that a newsgroup or Yahoo group
or Internet group?

Ginger-lyn

I hope you find something that helps, some have had good results with
reduced gluten (wheat) intake. Neurontin didn't work for me either,
but there are quite a few that it works well for so don't give up.
You may not see a result for a couple months, but it could work.

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Smokie Darling (Annie)

Old August 6th 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

"Ginger-lyn" wrote in message

I've always suspected, but finally, last week, I got the diagnosis.
I'm supposed to exercise an hour a day (say WHAT????? Not with THIS
ankle, dude!) and double my Neurontin at night for two weeks, then
triple
it if I am not doing better (which I am not, at the almost one-week
mark).
I don't know much about the disease; what I've read is pretty confusing.
Anybody else here have it and want to share a bit about it?

You are supposed to avoid stressful and emotional situations (so,
um... the new cat thing... not a good idea, but I *totally*
understand). ;-)

LOL about the cat!

Yeah, Ginger-lyn is in *such* a stressful place right now I'm surprised she
can function at all!

Sitting in a chair drooling Function? What's that? lol!

Thanks,
Ginger-lyn
Mess Extraordinare

I have it. And so does Annie ("Smokie Darling"). What did you want to
know? I could write pages about it, but it helps if you have a more
specific request.

Yep, ditto. I'm awfully sorry you both have it. It completely
sucks. I'm managing with Ambien and Flexeril. Not great, but I'm
managing.

Same here.

BTW, they had me on Neurontin and Effexor - neither helped in the
slightest
bit. The only thing that really helps is being able to get as much
*restful* sleep as possible (if you can, go have a sleep study done).

Yeah, let's see... they told me I don't fall into REM sleep. Ever.
Hmmm, like *I* didn't know that snicker. Sorry.

ROFLMAO! When I went for my sleep study all they found out was that I could
lay in a darkened, quiet room for 8 hours through the night and not sleep!
; And that was *with* the Ambien!!

OMG, I can't even imagine that.

take 2 Ambien and 3 Flexeril at night and still don't get an undisturbed
night's sleep.

There is a board called Fibromyalgia Tenderness, (I suggest avoiding
the alt.med.fibro group at all costs - they degenerate into flame wars
about every other week, seems to be in one now I think) that has lots
of suggestions, but most will tell you that a full night's sleep is
probably a thing of the past.

I hope you find something that helps, some have had good results with
reduced gluten (wheat) intake. Neurontin didn't work for me either,
but there are quite a few that it works well for so don't give up.
You may not see a result for a couple months, but it could work.

I never have tried removing wheat gluten from my diet - it just seemed so
hard to do for so little results since almost every-freaking-thing has wheat
gluten in it!

Smokie Darling (Annie)

Chin Skritches,

CatNipped

Old August 6th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:
"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in message
On Aug 4, 4:15 pm, wrote:
"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote:

By "cheap carbs", do you mean simple carbs? Carbs that very quickly
turn
to sugar in your system? Eg, bread, crackers, potatoes, etc? (As
opposed to
complex carbs such as veggies?)
Actually, it's reducing all carbs and completely avoiding "simple"
carbs. I knew there was a better word, but couldn't think of it.
Can't have peas, carrots, corn either.

That's similar to the kinds of food the diabetics I know have to avoid.
Those foods have a high "glycemic index" meaning that they turn to sugar
very quickly. I guess sugar isn't so great for fibro either?

I know RA that the disease creates its own carb within the synovium
(according to one study), so reducing the carbs available seems to
reduce intensity and duration of flares. I've noticed with my fibro
that the same is true with the muscle pain. It doesn't seem as bad
when there aren't alot spare sugars running around (lol).

My rheumatologist modified Atkins for me, and when I'm good and follow
it, I have fewer problems.

What is RA, by the way? I've heard it mentioned a couple of times but
I'm
not familiar with that name.
RA, shorthand for rheumatoid arthritis.

OK, thanks. Ugh, that's awful having two kinds of body-pain conditions.
It must be hard sometimes to know which thing is causing some specific
pain or discomfort.

Actually, in my case it's pretty easy. Stress, any form. Creates all
kinds of problems. Most can be dealt with mentally, others just have
to be allowed to run their course. You get used to it. At least I
have, not too big a deal.

I think that stress causes problems for just about anybody who has *any*
chronic condition. It depletes the immune system and even perfectly healthy
people can contract illnesses when that happens.

It's funny, I can keep from stressing almost entirely at work - I'm the one
who breezes around the office saying "no problem, no problem". I can,
mostly, do that at home also - but then it sort of builds up, undetected,
for months and then I'll just erupt like Mount St. Helens! I just had a
*huge* fight with Ben over nothing, really, and that ends up making me feel
bad, physically *and* emotionally, for about a week until I can get over my
"snit"! ;

I don't have RA, I have OA - osteo-arthritis, which is *nothing* compared to
RA, so I have lots and lots of sympathy for what you're living with!
Girlfriend, I don't know how *you* do it! I know the flexeril helps a
little with the FM, but I can't see it doing much for the RA. Do you take
pain meds (aside from the "natural" ones ;)? I can't - they upset my
stomach too much, and in a way I'm glad since I'd probably be addicted to
them I'd have to take them so often.

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Got OA here, too. And ditto on the RA. I have a friend who had RA so
bad, I think half of her was metal or plastic. The meds she was on for
it killed both her kidneys, and she had to go on dialysis. Amazingly, a
friend of hers offered to donate her kidney, and was a match! So she is
still alive and doing well.

Miracles *do* happen.

Ginger-lyn
Old August 6th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Kyla =^..^=` wrote:
"Ginger-lyn" ...
I've always suspected, but finally, last week, I got the diagnosis.

Oh no...I'm sorry to hear that .
I'm supposed to exercise an hour a day (say WHAT????? Not with THIS
ankle, dude!) and double my Neurontin at night for two weeks, then triple
it if I am not doing better (which I am not, at the almost one-week mark).

I don't know much about the disease; what I've read is pretty confusing.

Anybody else here have it and want to share a bit about it?

Thanks,

Ginger-lyn

Mess Extraordinare

I don't know much about it either, but a couple of others here have it,
and they may be able to help you.
BIG (but gentle) HUG and prayers for strength for all what you're going
through.
Love
Kyla

Thank you, Kyla.

Ginger-lyn
Old August 6th 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Kreisleriana wrote:
"Ginger-lyn" wrote in message
I've always suspected, but finally, last week, I got the diagnosis.

I'm supposed to exercise an hour a day (say WHAT????? Not with THIS
ankle, dude!) and double my Neurontin at night for two weeks, then triple
it if I am not doing better (which I am not, at the almost one-week mark).

I don't know much about the disease; what I've read is pretty confusing.

Anybody else here have it and want to share a bit about it?

Thanks,

Ginger-lyn

Mess Extraordinare

Oh dear. Big, big purrs and headbutts from my guys.

Thanks, Teresa

Ginger-lyn
Old August 6th 08, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Joy wrote:
"Ginger-lyn" wrote in message
I've always suspected, but finally, last week, I got the diagnosis.

I'm supposed to exercise an hour a day (say WHAT????? Not with THIS
ankle, dude!) and double my Neurontin at night for two weeks, then triple
it if I am not doing better (which I am not, at the almost one-week mark).

I don't know much about the disease; what I've read is pretty confusing.

Anybody else here have it and want to share a bit about it?

Thanks,

Ginger-lyn

I don't have it, but I knew somebody who did. It sounds like a miserable
thing to have. I hope you can find something that will help. The same goes
for everybody who has it.

Joy

Thanks, Joy. Much appreciated.

Ginger-lyn
Old August 6th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Victor Martinez wrote:
Ginger-lyn wrote:
Ginger-lyn

Mess Extraordinare

We're sending lots and lots of healing purrs and good karma your way.

Thank you, Victor. I need it!

Just what did I do in a past lifetime to deserve this?

Ginger-lyn
Old August 6th 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Aug 6, 12:59*pm, Ginger-lyn wrote:
Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

There is a board called Fibromyalgia Tenderness, (I suggest avoiding
the alt.med.fibro group at all costs - they degenerate into flame wars
about every other week, seems to be in one now I think) that has lots
of suggestions, but most will tell you that a full night's sleep is
probably a thing of the past.

Thanks Annie for the recommendation. *Is that a newsgroup or Yahoo group
or Internet group?

Ginger-lyn

I sent you a ping with the address for the group. I get it on Google
groups (where I get all my usenet needs met). If you can't find the
ping, let me know, I'll resend the link, okay?

SD (Annie)