(OT) Ping: Andy low-res diet

Old August 11th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default (OT) Ping: Andy low-res diet

I have a hard-copy of what's on the okay foods list along with daily serving
sizes. They gave it to me when I was discharged from the hospital. I can
scan it and email it to you if you give me your email address (mine isn't
munged). This link might be helpful and says pretty much the same thing:

http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs02.htm

I have a friend who suffered through several bouts of diverticulitis before
having his surgery. Apparently his doctor was hemming and hawing about it,
too. He was hospitalized several times before someone finally said enough
already! and removed the part of the colon with the diverticuli that kept
getting infected. That was 5 or 6 years ago and he hasn't had any problems
since. He pretty much eats what he wants to now. My SO had the surgery a
couple of years ago after a couple of bouts with it himself. He's also fine

The gastric surgeon who is treating me is confident if we don't nip it in
the bud I'll just keep having the problem. Can't be that he's money hungry
(well, maybe he normally is!) since he knows I don't have health insurance.

Coincidentally, a very good friend back home emailed me right after I was
discharged from the hospital. She casually mentioned a local weather guy
had died. He was only 53. When I googled (just out of curiosity) I found
he'd been ill and was being treated for diverticulitis. They hadn't
released the official cause of death but I have my suspicions...

Ruptures like the one I had can very quickly degenerate into peritonitis if
not immediately and aggressively treated. That's why they were pumping me
full of more than one very strong I/V antibiotic when I was hospitalized (as
well as having inserted a drain). It's also why the gastric surgeon told me
to call immediately (day, night or weekend) if I even *think* my symptoms
are coming back. Said his service will get in touch with him and he'll
immediately call in prescriptions for me so we can avoid another hospital
stay.

And yes, on his direction I'm sticking with the low-residue diet. I don't
feel "clogged" which you mentioned in another post.

Jill

Old August 11th 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

I have a hard-copy of what's on the okay foods list along with daily

..
..
..great info edited
..
..
avoid another hospital stay.

And yes, on his direction I'm sticking with the low-residue diet. I
don't feel "clogged" which you mentioned in another post.

Jill

This is all _really_ good stuff to know. I guess non surgeons are always
worried the surgeons are too ambitious but if I don't feel better by the
28th when I see my doctor I will have almost decided by then. The diet
site looks good, I will let you know if I want more info. I just wanted
to see if maximum amounts were suggested since the list I have does not
really tell you that. There is no way I will let them put me in the
hospital again just for treatment. I hated it. My doctor said we could
get me a room with no TV at all but if I am going to ask people to watch
my cats again I want it to be the last round with this condition. I feel
rotten and I am getting a bit worn down by it.

Andy

Old August 12th 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

outsider wrote:
This is all _really_ good stuff to know. I guess non surgeons are always
worried the surgeons are too ambitious but if I don't feel better by the
28th when I see my doctor I will have almost decided by then. The diet
site looks good, I will let you know if I want more info. I just wanted
to see if maximum amounts were suggested since the list I have does not
really tell you that. There is no way I will let them put me in the
hospital again just for treatment. I hated it. My doctor said we could
get me a room with no TV at all but if I am going to ask people to watch
my cats again I want it to be the last round with this condition. I feel
rotten and I am getting a bit worn down by it.

Purrs, Andy. I didn't know you'd been poorly.

I hate having to stay in hospital, too, though they don't have TVs in
the wards here, only in a separate TV room. I can imagine that would be
terrible, having to listen to the TV all the time.

Old August 12th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Marina wrote in
:

outsider wrote:
This is all _really_ good stuff to know. I guess non surgeons are
always worried the surgeons are too ambitious but if I don't feel
better by the 28th when I see my doctor I will have almost decided by
then. The diet site looks good, I will let you know if I want more
info. I just wanted to see if maximum amounts were suggested since
the list I have does not really tell you that. There is no way I
will let them put me in the hospital again just for treatment. I
hated it. My doctor said we could get me a room with no TV at all
but if I am going to ask people to watch my cats again I want it to
be the last round with this condition. I feel rotten and I am
getting a bit worn down by it.

Purrs, Andy. I didn't know you'd been poorly.

Thanks, Marina.

I hate having to stay in hospital, too, though they don't have TVs in
the wards here, only in a separate TV room. I can imagine that would
be terrible, having to listen to the TV all the time.

For some people (such as myself) it really is not good. I watch a few TV
shows but I watch them on a recorder where I don't see commercials and it
is not 12-18 hours a day. Some people turn a TV on as company. The
woman I was (foolishly) involved with for a number of years could not go
to sleep without a TV on! I hate the commercials and I hate reality
shows and daytime drama and Oprah etc etc and that is what was on day and
night in the hosiptal room. I could see there were others on the floor
that did not have TV (you pay a few bucks a day for the TV to work) and I
should have asked to be paired with one of them.

Live and learn.

Andy

Old August 12th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

outsider wrote:

For some people (such as myself) it really is not good. I watch a few TV
shows but I watch them on a recorder where I don't see commercials and it
is not 12-18 hours a day. Some people turn a TV on as company. The
woman I was (foolishly) involved with for a number of years could not go
to sleep without a TV on! I hate the commercials and I hate reality
shows and daytime drama and Oprah etc etc and that is what was on day and
night in the hosiptal room.

That would've driven me insane. I'd want to yell, "Could you turn that
thing off? People are trying to recover here!"

That said, I can also see wanting to watch some TV when you're well
enough to actually focus on it. It must get awfully boring just lying
there. I don't see why they can't rig up headphone connectors to the TVs
so that people who want to listen to it could just put on their headphones.
I've worked out in gyms where this was set up on the treadmills. They
have it on planes. Why not a hospital room?

I realize that headphones might not be practical or even possible for
everyone who is hospitalized. But if your head is covered with machinery,
you're probably not well enough for TV anyway.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 12th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:
outsider wrote:

For some people (such as myself) it really is not good. I watch a
few TV shows but I watch them on a recorder where I don't see
commercials and it is not 12-18 hours a day. Some people turn a TV
on as company. The woman I was (foolishly) involved with for a
number of years could not go to sleep without a TV on! I hate the
commercials and I hate reality shows and daytime drama and Oprah
etc etc and that is what was on day and night in the hosiptal room.

That would've driven me insane. I'd want to yell, "Could you turn that
thing off? People are trying to recover here!"

I was fortunate enough to be in a private room. I could turn the TV on and
off at will (and mostly kept it off). I can't imagine being saddled with
someone who wanted just noise on 24/7, especiall not when I'm ill. I'm
pretty good at tuning things out but give me a break!

One complaint (which really isn't a complaint) is my mother has the TV
blaring when it's on. My father was hard of hearing and wore hearing aids.
But he complained if he turned his hearing aids up he heard too much
extraneous noise (yeah, right, this house is so noisy). So he'd turn them
off and turn the TV way up. Now that's the only way Mom listens to TV. It
drives me nuts.

That said, I can also see wanting to watch some TV when you're well
enough to actually focus on it. It must get awfully boring just lying
there.

It is. Unless you like to read and have a book; then you can do that
instead I had one nurse who had a great sense of humour; she brought me
a colouring book and crayons after I said I was bored. When she came back
she praised me for not going outside the lines! LOL

Jill

Old August 13th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

wrote in
:

outsider wrote:

[...]

I was going to have my brother bring my mp3 player but changed my mind
since I have a hard time at home not strangling myself with it. Having
said that the TV in these rooms can be switched to speakers on the beds
which might help except the patient was not that interested in the TV.
His "guests" and hired sitters were the ones who watched and they used
the loud TV speakers.

Old August 13th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

wrote:
outsider wrote:

[...]

That's pretty funny. I had some real good nurses and nurse assitants
also. Most of the staff was pretty good. The hired sitters for the
neighbor were more varied.

Next time I am bringing my tiny notebook computer with the Internet card.
That will keep me busy.

Old August 13th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

jmcquown wrote:

It is. Unless you like to read and have a book; then you can do that
instead I had one nurse who had a great sense of humour; she brought
me a colouring book and crayons after I said I was bored. When she came
back she praised me for not going outside the lines! LOL

LOL!

I always bring books when I have to go to hospital. As a kid, I had to
spend a lot of time in hospital. We didn't get bored in the children's
ward, because we got into a lot of mischief. Those poor nurses, not only
did they have to be good nurses, they had to be child-minders as well.
We ran them ragged. :P

Old August 13th 08, 08:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

I always bring books when I have to go to hospital. As a kid, I had to
spend a lot of time in hospital. We didn't get bored in the children's
ward, because we got into a lot of mischief. Those poor nurses, not only
did they have to be good nurses, they had to be child-minders as well.
We ran them ragged. :P

If you were feeling good enough to run them ragged, they must have been
doing something right!

--
Joyce ^..^

Ping: Andy Susan M[_3_] Cat anecdotes 9 June 25th 08 12:01 AM
Diet Update - Ping Phil CatNipped[_2_] Cat health & behaviour 6 February 25th 08 02:32 PM
Ping Lesley: Caliban's diet Marina Cat anecdotes 17 June 15th 07 04:02 AM
little by little Selma will comb the diet, and if Andy smartly creeps it too, the onion will scold against the cosmetic sunshine Moronic Putrid Cat Cat anecdotes 0 September 12th 05 01:05 PM
PING Steve Crane Science Diet question Rona Yuthasastrakosol Cat health & behaviour 12 September 14th 03 04:13 PM