Well, I've Acquired Another Owner

Old January 21st 10, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Default Well, I've Acquired Another Owner - Followup

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
In article , MLB
wrote:

How is the little Lady feeling these days? The weather report said lots
of rain in the Southern CA area are your kitty friends staying inside?

Well, the rain is horrible - I was truly worried about the water level
coming into the house yesterday. Today is supposed to be even worse. My
small flat roof (over one part of the house) has been leaking badly, and
I have a funnel on a stepladder into the vacuum cleaner hose running 15
feet into the shower from where it leaks through a light fixture in the
master closet. The roofer will be here in a few mintutes to try and
cover the area with plastic; he didn't see any obvious problems two days
ago and thinks that the flat roof may have corroded from the cats and
possums using it as a litter box. We are not happy.

Flat roofs suck! I originally didn't even realize i had it because it's
just the last six feet of the house and is hidden behind a large tree.

The cats are really unhappy about being inside. I let Watermelon and
Giovanni out this morning, as it was just sprinkling, and then it
started to get a little harder. They finally both appeared, so everyone
is inside and dry. Of course, Eerz and Calico never leave the house.

Eerz is actually getting a little more outgoing. She has always been
happy for attention and a constant purrer. But now she's making more of
an effort to come over and sit in my lap when I'm sitting on the bed
(her usual spot). And around 5:30 this morning she actually came over
and stretched out over me in bed for the first time. She stayed for
about an hour until Watermelon jumped up and she attacked him. She does
not like the others.

Art

Will send best purrs for minimum damage to your home. Been there --
done that! This condo area has flat roofs too. I've bought four new
roofs since moving here. Purrs that Lady Eers settles down and learns
to love her fellow cats. The funnel drain sounds interesting and I hope
it works. One night (years ago) I awakened to dripping water. It was
in the sun room ceiling. I used a screw drive to punch a hole in the
ceiling and brought in garbage cans for the rain to drain in. I was up
all night emptying the cans because they filled up so fast. (I was much
younger then.). Best wishes. MLB
Old January 21st 10, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro

MLB wrote:

Will send best purrs for minimum damage to your home.

Thanks. The roofer just left. One of the two drains at either end of
the house was clogged with twigs and branches, meaning hundreds of
gallons were pooled up there. So they cleaned that area and then they
broomed the roof, although the roof is not as flat as it used to be and
will pool until replaced. They put down two layers of plastic sheeting
to direct the water to the drains, and weighted it down with large rocks
from the garden due to the ferocious winds we've had recently.
Hopefully this will get us through today and tomorrow, which are
supposed to be the worst of an already-remarkable week.

At this point, nothing is coming through the light fixture. The rains
have been increasing over the last hour, and are now moderate.
Apparently the extremely heavy downpours will start in the afternoon.
When a few days of dryness are upon us, he will reroof the area and try
to put some minor pitch into the roof; even a degree or two will help
this ongoing problem.

Giovanni really wants out, even though it is pouring. He'd been
spraying everywhere - boxes, curtains, the bathroom rugs, even my wife
and I. We finally took him in earlier this week, thinking he might have
a UTI, but the tests just came back normal. We're to keep him on the
antibotics anyway, just in case, and they're recommending I try that
Feloway (sp?) product. I think he's just upset about Eerz and the fact
that everyone else hates him. (I don't hate him, but we're both sorry
he's going to be part of our household for the next 15 years.) Eerz,
one third his weight, absolutely terrifies him.

We've hired the homeless lady who gave me Eerz, and for the last week
and a half she's been here every day to clean and declutter my house
before departing to live in a borrowed car somewhere. It's a really sad
situation. She desperately needs the money and is doing a remarkable
job on this house. It looks better inside than it has in years,
although it is only about half done. And she's so happy to see Eerz
each day. Giovanni seems to like her, which is surprising; she can even
pick him up. Watermelon keeps a low profile, and Calico hides in a
closet all day, and is too stressed out from Eerz to leave the computer
room at night.

Art

Art

Old January 21st 10, 09:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro

In article , "Ann" wrote:
You might want to try rescue remedy. I have been using it for over a month
and the cats are getting along better.

Thank you. That is completely unfamiliar to me, but I'll see what Mr. Google
has to say.

Art
Old January 22nd 10, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Arthur Shapiro wrote:

Eerz is actually getting a little more outgoing. She has always been
happy for attention and a constant purrer. But now she's making more of
an effort to come over and sit in my lap when I'm sitting on the bed
(her usual spot). And around 5:30 this morning she actually came over
and stretched out over me in bed for the first time. She stayed for
about an hour until Watermelon jumped up and she attacked him. She does
not like the others.

Is "Eerz" her new name? Cute. I hope she settles down soon and
everyone figures out how to get along. But it is nice to hear that
she's feeling feisty enough to cause trouble!

Joyce

--
A conservative is one who admires radicals centuries after they're dead.
-- Leo Rosten
Old January 22nd 10, 04:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
Eerz is actually getting a little more outgoing. She has always been
happy for attention and a constant purrer. But now she's making more of
an effort to come over and sit in my lap when I'm sitting on the bed
(her usual spot). And around 5:30 this morning she actually came over
and stretched out over me in bed for the first time. She stayed for
about an hour until Watermelon jumped up and she attacked him. She does
not like the others.

She sounds very sweet. I hope she warms up to the others and
vice-versa.
Old January 22nd 10, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
MLB wrote:

[...]

I am glad to hear the homeless lady is getting some help. Perhaps with recommendations from you she can start a business of her own. Someone who is willing and does a good job is worth it.

The lady who does occasional cleaning for me is more interested in
saying what she won't do rather than what she will do. She won't last
long. Sending purrs for Giovanni to settle down and quit spraying Does
he have a crate he can retreat to and feel safe? Your storm is heading
this way and the barometer is lower than it has been all winter. The
southern part of the state apparently will be hit the hardest. Purrs
for Lady Eers and the rest of the crew. Best wishes. MLB