[OT] Tips for Coping

Old December 4th 04, 01:45 AM
Seanette Blaylock

Kreisleriana had some very interesting
things to say about [OT] Tips for Coping:

BUT SERIOUSLY, these are all great suggestions, and I only butted in
to make a wisecrack. As a veteran of many clinical depressions, I
endorse everything Nipped said. Especially about doing everything you
possibly can to make yourself laugh. When I'm feeling down, I get out
the "Far Side" and "Calvin and Hobbes" books.

I hit the Web comics, such as Freefall and usr/bin.

Old December 4th 04, 01:49 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"Monique Y. Mudama" had some very interesting
things to say about [OT] Tips for Coping:

We'd been planning to spend Christmas at my parents'. Both my brothers would
be there, as well as my brother K's new wife and her (now their) two kids,
whom I haven't yet met. Between the complete lack of vacation time, a serious
need to get certain projects done by mid-january, and the realization of how
insanely expensive two tickets to NC would be for us, well, I called my dad in
tears last night to tell him I didn't think I could do it. My parents
understand, of course, but it's still a real bummer, and of course I feel guilty.

My in-laws were planning to visit, but MIL is in a snit about being
told jointly by DH and me that we do not need her managing us and very
much resent her gossiping our lives all over the place. Frankly, I
think I'll have a more enjoyable holiday without dealing with her if
that's the attitude she chooses to take. I do feel bad for DFIL, who's
an innocent party in this one, though.

Anyway, the really sad part to me is that, when I told my dad I was going to
look for a therapist to talk some of my stress out, it really bummed him out.
Yes, I've sought professional help during dark times, but in this case, I want
to just flush my brain a little, talk to someone with an outside perspective
and no agenda. My husband certainly understands, but my father I guess is
just a different generation and a different culture. He said something like,
"Well, honey, when you say you're going to see a therapist ... that sounds
like, you know, you think you 'need therapy.'" When I related this to my
husband later on, he responded, "Well, what's wrong with needing therapy?"

Smart guy you're married to. I agree completely with him. You'd get
help for a physical illness or injury, why not for psychological
matters?

Honestly, I think my life is pretty good, and I feel blessed. I don't mean to
sound like I think my life is falling apart, because I know it's not. I think
sometimes, the day to day stresses of normal life are the hardest to cope
with. I don't know how people manage with kids. They just do, I guess. But,
as I told my dad last night, I'm just feeling a little ... brittle right now.
Things are bothering me more than they should; easy decisions seem hard. It's
not full-blown depression, but I know myself well enough to monitor the
situation.

I can definitely relate to this. I especially run into trouble when
I'm pre-menstrual, and can't help wondering if hormonal factors are in
play here [you don't have to answer that :-), just thought it might be
worth thinking about].

Old December 4th 04, 01:49 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"jmcquown" had some very interesting things
to say about [OT] Tips for Coping:

Wisecracks or no, you'd be surprised. A friend of mine lives in Spain and
guess what she does every Thursday? Irons sheets. Yes, she irons
bedsheets. Not only is it expected of her, she feels it must be done. She
also irons table cloths, napkins, underwear, t-shirts and jeans.
I'm saying to myself... shake out the jeans and hang them. Fold the
t-shirts. What table cloths and napkins? LOL

I side with you. I think the last time I ironed an article of
clothing, it was for a job interview DH had the next day.

Old December 4th 04, 01:51 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"Yowie" had some very interesting
things to say about [OT] Tips for Coping:

Who doens't even know where her iron is or even if I still have one.

I know where mine is, but don't anticipate using it for anything
except finished needlework projects any time soon. :-)

Old December 4th 04, 01:54 AM
CatNipped

On 2004-12-04, CatNipped penned:
LOL this thread reminds me of an incident that happened at my daughter's

6th
birthday. My best friend and her two girls were in attendance as well

as a
number of neighborhood girls, and my mom was there. Someone gave my
daughter a toy iron and ironing board. My daughter looked at it in
puzzlement and asked, "What is this?" Not a single girl child there

knew
the answer to her question and I got a dirty look from my mom! ; Ah

the
joys of being born into a "permanent press" world!!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

I'm puzzled about why it would occur to someone to give a toy iron for a
present. It's like giving a kid a toy litter box and scoop to play with.

mean, does anyone find ironing remotely enjoyable? Am I missing

something?

--
monique, caretaker of Oscar

It's because I'm older than dirt -LOL. When my daughter was 6 years old it
was still somewhat expected that all little girls would grow up to be June
Cleaver - I quickly abused her of that idea, letting her know all about her
options as a modern woman. Then, guess what, she grew up to be a housewife
and mother!!! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 4th 04, 02:02 AM
Yoj

"Seanette Blaylock" wrote in
message ...
"jmcquown" had some very interesting things
to say about [OT] Tips for Coping:

Wisecracks or no, you'd be surprised. A friend of mine lives in

Spain and
guess what she does every Thursday? Irons sheets. Yes, she irons
bedsheets. Not only is it expected of her, she feels it must be

done. She
also irons table cloths, napkins, underwear, t-shirts and jeans.
I'm saying to myself... shake out the jeans and hang them. Fold the
t-shirts. What table cloths and napkins? LOL

I side with you. I think the last time I ironed an article of
clothing, it was for a job interview DH had the next day.

--

I don't even own an iron or an ironing board. At one point, my son had
a job where he had to wear ironed shirts, so I gave him my iron and

I love permanent press!

Joy

Old December 4th 04, 02:05 AM
yepp

Those are good points and thanks for posting them as another holiday season
approaches.

yepp

Old December 4th 04, 02:28 AM
Jo Firey

"Sherry " wrote in message
guess what she does every Thursday? Irons sheets. Yes, she irons
bedsheets. Not only is it expected of her, she feels it must be done.
She
also irons table cloths, napkins, underwear, t-shirts and jeans.

IRONS UNDERWEAR? Underwear???? Whoooaaaa.
I iron tableclothes and napkins. Once a year, at Thanksgiving. :-)

Sherry

If you fold the tablecloth and Napkins and put them away carefully under
other heavy stuff, they will "iron" themselves before next Thanksgiving. At
least that is what I tell myself.

Jo

Old December 4th 04, 02:33 AM
Jo Firey

My Mom liked to iron. She would iron and watch TV in the evening even after
she went back to work and had perma prest stuff.

I love ironed sheets and handkerchiefs, but not to the point where I am
willing to iron them. About once a year as a treat for myself I'll take
some of my stuff to the local laundry and have it ironed, and look a little
better dressed for a while.

Jo
"Cheryl Perkins" wrote in message
I'm puzzled about why it would occur to someone to give a toy iron for a
present. It's like giving a kid a toy litter box and scoop to play with.
mean, does anyone find ironing remotely enjoyable? Am I missing
something?

I know some people who do, they say they find it relaxing. I can kind of
see that, although I can't share it. Repetitive motions can be relaxing,
almost meditative. I was taught all the housewifely skills as a girl,
including ironing everything, even bras, underpants and towels. But a lot
of it didn't take; I only iron when I'm sewing or when I am getting ready
for work. It struck me years ago that it was silly to iron the laundry
before putting it away, and then iron it again (because most of my
clothing is cotton) before going to work. So I only do it before work.

Some people like giving children things the can use to pretend being
adults - miniature stoves, tools, musical instruments etc. I always wanted
the real thing.

--
Cheryl

Old December 4th 04, 03:07 AM
jmcquown

Yoj wrote:
"Seanette Blaylock" wrote in
message ...
[...]

That spray on "wrinkle release" stuff actually works pretty well. And I own
lots of linen. No point ironing linen (or 100% cotton for that matter); the
moment you sit down it's wrinkled anyway.

Jill