Ugh! (GW)

Old June 5th 04, 04:13 AM
Sherry

I guess some doxies are better at that than others. One night we were
camping out in the Ozark Mountains when a badger tried to get in our
tent. Mac barked once, then crawled under my sleeping bag.

He was just checking your burrow for badgers, I'm sure.

Sherry

Old June 5th 04, 04:43 AM
Marina

"Steve Touchstone" wrote

The last paragraph in the article makes me both sad and mad:
"Dachshunds are almost always in the AKC Top Ten most popular breeds.
This is a mixed blessing. The more popular a breed - especially a
small breed - the more likely it is that it will be bred in puppy
mills." I don't remember who is was, but someone here recently said
something about how they don't see puppies and kittens in petstores -
sure wish that were true eveywhere.

That was me. I think it must be illegal here in Finland to sell live cats
and dogs in petstores. Although, last time I visited a petstore, there was a
dog there, but he wasn't for sale, he belonged to the girl behind the
counter. Very friendly guy.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old June 5th 04, 05:28 AM
David Yehudah

When I was a boy one of my neighbors had a standard doxie. It probably
weighed 30-40 lbs. I haven't seen another since; the current crop seem
all to be the miniature, up to 11 lbs. Larger that that they are called
tweeny wieneys. Mac, Chuckles, and Toby fall into that category. Mac and
Toby weigh about 23 lbs. each, Chuckles about 15.

Steve Touchstone wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:06:54 -0500, Nan
wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 16:59:30 -0500, John F. Eldredge
wrote:

I have always wondered about that. Dachshunds can be feisty, but,
judging from badgers' reputations, the dachshunds might be outmatched
in an actual fight. When they were being used to force badgers out
of their lairs so that the human hunters could shoot the badgers,
would the dachshunds actually fight the badgers, or did they scare
the badgers out by sheer noise?

http://www.almosthomerescue.org/about_dach/history.htm tells about the
history of dachshunds. According to this dachshunds were much bigger
then, 30 to 40 pounds, and they were trained to kill the badger.

Nan.

Thanks for posting the link ;-) We had a couple great dachshunds when
I was growing up, and they were great dogs. I didn't realise they used
to be so much bigger.

-mini rant-

The last paragraph in the article makes me both sad and mad:
"Dachshunds are almost always in the AKC Top Ten most popular breeds.
This is a mixed blessing. The more popular a breed - especially a
small breed - the more likely it is that it will be bred in puppy
mills." I don't remember who is was, but someone here recently said
something about how they don't see puppies and kittens in petstores -
sure wish that were true eveywhere.

--
"No, I could sleep, but I must not; death is too near; he must not steal
up on me. These fifteen years I have been making ready for him; I will

When Clinton lied, no one died.