declaw or not to declaw?

Old April 16th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default DON'T FALL FOR IT

On Apr 16, 8:16*am, kraut
wrote:
I'm not sure whether you're replying to Dan, or Lori, but I can't
believe you'd say that to either one of them, as well as you should
know them by now. *You think the answer is more laws? * The English,
AFAIK, don't have *specific* laws regarding declaw (I could be wrong
about this; you British friends correct me if so)

I'm not in England, but I think it's the same there as here in Finland,
that we don't have laws specifically banning declawing, but the practice
of declawing has never developed in our countries, so we don't need laws
against it. Our animal-protection legislation states something like 'you
may not cause any animal undue pain' and I think declawing would fall
under that category. There's also a clause about allowing animals to
live in a way that is natural for them (don't know how the fur industry
and battery-hen keepers work around this!).

First let me say that I am not for declawing. *I have 6 furballs and
none are declawed and my furniture looks it even though I have
scratching post and pads. *But on the other hand my ex rescued 2
furballs but the only way I could talk her into it was if they were
declawed. *Otherwise they were in line to be put down. *They are the
sweetest things you could ask for (Next to mine). *We were going to be
remarried until the subject of declawing my babies came up and I said
no way so no marriage. If you saw a cat heading for the death chamber
but someone was willing to take it if it was declawed what would you
do? *Especially if they were 2 heading there?!?!

The point is that some people are so radical when it comes to ANYTHING
that they can only see one side and would rather see an animal keep
its claws even if it meant it's life and do matter how much you talk
they are unwilling to see any other point to it!!!

Wow....good for you for having such a strong commitment to doing
what's right.
The "Declaw or Die" debate comes up often. My answer to that, when I
am asked that same question, (what would I do)...I'd call other area
shelters looking for a cat already declawed. I'd talk my head off
trying to explain what they're about to do, really, to the cat. I
would not declaw a cat, if given the ultimatum by a prospective
adoptor, even in the most overcrowded situation. I couldn't anyway.
The clause is in the contract.
I don't think it's guaranteed that this theoretical couple will give
this cat a forever home. Particularly if it's a new cat owner. Besides
clawing, cats poop, they pee, they shed, they bite, they jump on the
counter, People who are keen on declawing, IMO, are people who want
instant behavior modification, and people who don't have much
tolerance for normal behavior to begin with. Who don't want to
consider training, covering their furniture, trying softpaws, or any
other alternative. They just don't need a cat.
This is the part I usually get flamed about....but there are worse
things than euthanasia. A declawed cat turned out in the street to
fend for itself is one of them. As always, this is just my .02. :-)
And for the record, I've never had to deal with that ultimatum. You
never *really* know what you'd do in a situation until you're in it, I
suppose. I might end up stuffing the cat in my purse and stealing it.
I'm not above that :-)

Sherry
Old April 16th 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 16, 1:29*am, "tanadashoes" wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message

And besides that, they *enjoy* their claws, no? At lleast judging from
the look of absolute nirvana on their face when they're s-t-r-e-t-c-h-
i-n-g and clawing on a scratching post!
Defense is a good argument on its own for keeping the claws, but I
think the biggest issue with me is the residual pain that some cats
have, for the rest of their lives, from declaw surgery. *I've even
read that declawing a cat changes the way it walks on the paw pads,
causing orthopedic problems later. I believe that theory is still out
for argument, but it sure sounds reasonable to me.
I don't know why declaw is taboo, either. I've never seen the subject
cause a problem among regulars, or at least that I recall.

=================================

Maybe we should lobby the American Veterinary Association about it. *If
enough people make a stink about it (sorry Catnippped) maybe the time will
come that the AVA will include it as a non practice.

Pam S. who bids 300 quatloons for the stinky truck

I think the AVA would be a good place to start. I ragged on a local
vet once
about it. He *knows* it's wrong. You could tell by how he was making
excuses and getting defensive.... He's a good vet (otherwise). One
thing he said that struck me was "Well, I won't do 4-paw, no matter
what."
Like that somehow was redeeming. Sigh.
It does stink. (sorry CN)

Sherry --- who can't decide which is worse, eau de dead mouse or
tomcat spray
Old April 16th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kraut

[...]

I agree with most of what you say about "People who are keen on
declawing, IMO, are people who want instant behavior modification, and
people who don't have much tolerance for normal behavior to begin
with".

My babies go where they want and do what they want. If you check out
my page at http://users.ameritech.net/lestark/page2.htm you will see
them in the cupboards, linen closet, on stereo, on computer cabinet,
on table where I keep a bowl of food for them, ETC.

I have had people come here that tell me I am nuts for the way I let
my furbabies do as they want!!

I once also rehomed a stray that had no front claws also.

Old April 16th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 16, 10:52*am, kraut
wrote:
[...]

I once also rehomed a stray that had no front claws also.- Hide quoted text -

Your cats are *beautiful*. Such unusual markings. I love the black &
white one that looks like he has a moustache. Pretty calico girl, too,
her coat is really pretty. They all look happy and healthy!

Sherry