What's Cooking Today?

Old July 5th 11, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default What's Cooking Today?

Joy wrote:

True. However, on my first trip to England, our English guide said that the
easy way to figure it is to double the C temperature, subtract 10% and add
32. I can do that in my head, so that's the way I do it.

I like that! Much closer than how I do it.

Joyce

--
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth
concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.
Old July 6th 11, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
hopitus[_2_]

On Jul 5, 4:46*pm, bast wrote:
Joy wrote:
* True. *However, on my first trip to England, our English guide said that the
* easy way to figure it is to double the C temperature, subtract 10% and add
* 32. *I can do that in my head, so that's the way I do it.

I like that! Much closer than how I do it.
Joyce

Why are we doing this anyway? One tap on my cell will give me the temp
in
whatever form I wish to read it anywhere on earth.
I hate math and if you want to know why....check this out (part of my
work life)

http://www.ndt-ed.org/GeneralResourc...eSquareLaw.htm

Old July 6th 11, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

hopitus wrote:

On Jul 5, 4:46*pm, bast wrote:
Joy wrote:
* True. *However, on my first trip to England, our English guide said that the
* easy way to figure it is to double the C temperature, subtract 10% and add
* 32. *I can do that in my head, so that's the way I do it.

I like that! Much closer than how I do it.
Joyce

Why are we doing this anyway? One tap on my cell will give me the temp
in
whatever form I wish to read it anywhere on earth.
I hate math and if you want to know why....check this out (part of my
work life)

http://www.ndt-ed.org/GeneralResourc...eSquareLaw.htm

Sure, if I have a machine handy that will do it for me (and more
accurately), I'll use it. But that's not always available and I have
to do it in my head.

Joyce

--
- Your mom and I are going to divorce next month.
- What??? Why! Call me please?
Old July 6th 11, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"hopitus" wrote in message

On Jul 5, 4:46 pm, bast wrote:
Joy wrote:
True. However, on my first trip to England, our English
guide
said that the easy way to figure it is to double the C
temperature, subtract 10% and add
32. I can do that in my head, so that's the way I do it.

I like that! Much closer than how I do it.
Joyce

Why are we doing this anyway? One tap on my cell will give me
the temp
in
whatever form I wish to read it anywhere on earth.
I hate math and if you want to know why....check this out (part
of my
work life)

http://www.ndt-ed.org/GeneralResourc...eSquareLaw.htm

Well, that brought back long-forgotten memories from my
schooling!

My Physics degree was modular, and the final exams were
structured in such a way that it was possible to completely
ignore one area of the subjects taught, and still achieve a high
pass mark. I chose to ignore ionising radiation!

Somewhat ironically, 20 years later, I was responsible for
project managing the construction of a facility to house and run
the national standard clinical linear accelerator for the UK,
against which most other radiotherapy machines are calibrated!
(For Hopitus, the Linac can operate at energies of up to 13MeV.
I'm led to believe that most hospital machines use up to 7MeV).

Incidentally, the walls around this facility are two-foot thick
reinforced concrete, with an unusually high density (2.8 tonnes
per cubic metre). The floor slab and walls have 'plugs' of
concrete that can be relatively easily removed for testing of
radioactive contamination, if there was ever a need to demolish
the building.

--
MatSav