???

Old August 23rd 13, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default ???

"Bastette" wrote in message
Judith Latham wrote:

This evening I went down there to water and picked a whole lot of
strawberries which I will enjoy tomorrow.
Summer finally arrived last week and it's quite hot

That's a lovely thing to be able to do.

Quite hot? It's killing me.

I had to stop and think about this because at first it didn't make sense.
That's because to us over here, "quite" means "very", "to a great extent",
etc, and I think to you it means something like "moderately", or even "a
little bit"?. I didn't know this until recently - I probably learned it
here.

Funny you should say that, I had to ask an American on my poultry group at
the time, Bob Tarte, about the difference between "quite" in
English/American. It's very different. After that we became good friends.
If I say something is quite nice it's not as good as nice, and nowhere near
very nice.
Tweed

Old August 23rd 13, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

If the worst comes to the worst and your home computer dies, get another
one
from the internet like I just did.
OK, it was *pre-owned* but it has been refurbished and cost ?59.99 plus
postage, add to that a tenner to get things copied from my old one by
the
computer shop and a whole lot of grief getting the newsgroups set up.

Wow!! 59.99 in your currency is about $120 in US dollars, I think, which
is incredibly cheap for a computer! Good deal!

It's higher spec than my old one, 2gb memory, 250gb HD which is plenty
for
me as I only use it for emails, newgroups and surfing.
I was thinking of getting a brand new one until I saw the prices!

Why would you bother when you can get a decent one for such a low price?

I am very happy with it. My previous one was a Dell but no way would I want
to spend as much as they cost for a new one from their website. You cannot
buy Dells in the shops here.
If it lasts me 4 years it's still a bargain and with 2gb memory, it's faster
and with 250gb HD it suits me. My last one was half GB/40 and gave me good
service.
I don't want or need a computer with all bells and whistles with 1TB of HD
etc. I'm thrilled with the one I've got.

Tweed

Old August 23rd 13, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Lesley" wrote in message
On Saturday, 22 June 2013 06:58:56 UTC+1, Joy wrote:
For the last few days, no posts here have shown up on my computer. I'm
sure people are posting, and hope I start seeing the posts again soon.

I've been out of commission for a few days. Been flat out busy at work
having got back from leave last Monday to find the software had gone
down
so no-one had even been able to help with my work whilst I was off.

And now my home PC is on the blink, hoping it won't be a case of
replacing
it as I've had several large bills recently and don't want another one

-----

If the worst comes to the worst and your home computer dies, get another
one
from the internet like I just did.
OK, it was *pre-owned* but it has been refurbished and cost £59.99 plus
postage, add to that a tenner to get things copied from my old one by the
computer shop and a whole lot of grief getting the newsgroups set up.
It's higher spec than my old one, 2gb memory, 250gb HD which is plenty
for
me as I only use it for emails, newgroups and surfing.
I was thinking of getting a brand new one until I saw the prices!

My last computer was similar to this and it has lasted 4 or 5 years. The
computer shop transferred my floppy disc drive to this one too, as I
still
have things saved on floppies.
So, if you need another computer, it doesn't have to cost you a fortune.

Tweed

It may be a good idea to copy your floppies to a memory stick for when
your
drive dies.

why would it die?

Old August 23rd 13, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nik Simpson[_2_]

It may be a good idea to copy your floppies to a memory stick for when
your
drive dies.

why would it die?

Old age is the most likely reason, these things are designed with a
typical service life, once you get beyond that life, then there's an
increasing risk of failure. USB drives are so cheap now and offer
capacities so far beyond a single floppy that it makes sense to back the
data up. For example, an 8GB USB drive costs less than 2 pounds on
Amazon UK and could hold the contents of roughly 4000 floppy disks.

--
Nik Simpson
Old November 4th 13, 05:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 00:19:23 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message
Judith Latham wrote:

[...]

There's an old joke, describing Britain and the USA as "two countries
divided by a common language". I had a college room-mate who was from
Hong Kong, and thus spoke British English. We sometimes had to explain
to each other what a particular idiom meant.

One bit of American English-vs.-Chinese idiom was when I referred to cold
air giving me goosebumps. When I explained, he laughed and said the term
for that condition in Cantonese translated as "chicken skin", virtually
the same metaphor.

--
John F. Eldredge --
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Old November 4th 13, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message

There's an old joke, describing Britain and the USA as "two countries
divided by a common language". I had a college room-mate who was from
Hong Kong, and thus spoke British English. We sometimes had to explain
to each other what a particular idiom meant.

One bit of American English-vs.-Chinese idiom was when I referred to cold
air giving me goosebumps. When I explained, he laughed and said the term
for that condition in Cantonese translated as "chicken skin", virtually
the same metaphor.
--
John F. Eldredge --

~~~~~~~~
My roommate when I was an undergraduate was a Fulbright Scholar from
Germany. She said that she felt she was beginning to fully the language
when she realized that she was dreaming in English.

MaryL