Purrs for Persia, Please

Old August 7th 14, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Purrs for Persia, Please

After doing well for quite a long time, Persia has been off her feed the
last few days. I've done all sorts of things to entice her. She ate a
little bit FF the day before yesterday and had a couple of bites of her
kibble. But not what she normally eats. She ignored her FF yesterday
and only a few bites of kibble, which I normally hear her snacking on
during the night.

This morning, pretty much nothing. I gave her a vet-prescribed appetite
stimulant. It didn't make any difference. She's just nibbling to
please me when I say "go eat your crunchies, girl!".

She's not pooping much and is drinking a lot more water. From what I've
read it's typical of an elderly cat with kidney disease. She's also
lost some weight.

She has continued sleeping with me, which is sweet. She's still a
bed-hog. But she's also been "talking" to me a lot in the last few
days. It's not an obvious indication she's in pain but I think she's
telling me something. (Don't we all wish we spoke cat?)

I think I'm going to have to say goodbye to my beloved Persia. Maybe
tomorrow or the next day, unless things change overnight.

Purrs are requested. This will absolutely break my heart.

Jill
Old August 7th 14, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

Purrs for Persia! Cats with kidney problems will talk - can you take her to the vets? She might have a tooth problem that will be easily fixed.

Old August 7th 14, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/6/2014 8:34 PM, Mishi wrote:
Purrs for Persia! Cats with kidney problems will talk - can you take her to the vets? She might have a tooth problem that will be easily fixed.

Thanks, Mishi. Her vet makes house calls. Persia gets so upset when
she's in her carrier she throws up. Since she hasn't been eating much
it would mostly be bile. (If you've ever been sick with an empty
stomach - dry heaves - you'll know that's not pleasant.)

She was eating just fine four days ago. She looked forward to eating
her tiny bit of FF in the morning. Crunching her kibble during the day
and at night. Then she stopped. I have never had to entice her like
this since before her hyperthyroidism treatment.

She's at least 16 years old (I don't really know). She has slowed down
quite a bit in the last few months. It didn't affect her eating but she
hasn't been as active as she was.

Now the not eating and walking around crying... I think she's trying to
tell me something. I would like to ignore it but I don't think I can.
I love her too much. I don't want her to suffer.

Jill
Old August 7th 14, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

[...]

Jill, I am so sorry Persia is going through this, but please don't make a
decision about saying goodbye so quickly. Has she had a thorough exam by her
vet? I know you talked about how distressing it is for her to be taken to
the vet's clinic, but I think it would be worth it in a case like this.
Duffy (16 years old) went through something similar last December. He would
not eat and was losing weight. He also seemed depressed and lethargic. At
first, I thought he was grieving because of Holly's death, and I was also
concerned about possible kidney issues. Well, it turned out that my little
guy had dental problems. He had to have two molars removed. Of course, I was
worried about using anesthesia at his age, but it needed to be done. The vet
then discovered that one of the molars had actually rotted down to the bone,
so it was obviously painful for him to eat (even canned food, and kibble
would have been impossible). He started eating again about 3 days after the
surgery. He is now his "old self." He eats normally, plays a lot, and has
regained the weight he lost. I hope you will find something similar for
Persia, but you may need to take her to the clinic. Even though your vet
makes house calls, more equipment would be available at the clinic. Is
Feliway available in your area? If so, it could be helpful to get the spray
variety and spray her carrier about 20 minutes before putting Persia in it.
Absolutely, purrs are coming your way.

MaryL

Old August 7th 14, 06:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Art Shapiro

On 8/6/2014 5:06 PM, jmcquown wrote:

Purrs are requested. This will absolutely break my heart.

Wishing you the best of luck - perhaps it will turn out to be less dire
than you fear.

I know kidney disease can hit amazingly quickly. The vet has told me
that the cat can cope with gradually diminishing kidney function without
much difficulty, until it reaches a certain stage; it then becomes like
throwing a switch and the poor kitty goes downhill rapidly.

Art

Old August 7th 14, 07:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 8/6/2014 5:34 PM, Mishi wrote:
Purrs for Persia! Cats with kidney problems will talk - can you take her to the vets? She might have a tooth problem that will be easily fixed.

For some reason I didn't get the original. Purrs are on the way.

Joy

Old August 7th 14, 11:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann791

On 8/6/2014 8:06 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Lots of purrs on the way.

Ann

Old August 7th 14, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JJ[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

And ours

Jay and his two masters, Edgar and Agatha.

Old August 7th 14, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

Purrs and prayers for sweet Persia.

Lily & her mama

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

[...]

Purrs for Persia, please jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 14 February 24th 11 01:34 AM
More Purrs for Persia, Please jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 34 April 7th 10 01:10 AM
Purrs for Persia's Tooth Removal jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 14 February 21st 10 04:41 AM
Persia Purrs jmcquown Cat anecdotes 0 April 19th 07 01:51 PM
Purrs for Persia - while I was out of town... jmcquown Cat anecdotes 75 June 28th 04 02:04 AM