Memories: Persia and the Butterscotch Candy

Old August 10th 14, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Memories: Persia and the Butterscotch Candy

I used to keep some Brach's (a brand) *wrapped* butterscotch candies in
a dish on a two-tiered table. One day shortly after she came to live
with me I noticed Persia went over, stood on her hind legs and sniffed
at the dish. She then gently plucked out a piece of candy out with her
teeth.

She didn't eat the candy. She never attempted to unwrap the candy. Oh
no. She just played with it. Batted it around. Woo! A new toy! It's
not as if she didn't already have cat toys... I'd gone sort of crazy
with mousies by that time. She was simply innovative.

There came a point where I had to have the electric heating element in
the oven replaced in the apartment kitchen. The guy pulled the stove
out from the wall to unplug it. He found about 23 little wrapped
butterscotch discs under the stove. Apparently she took them into the
kitchen to play with when I wasn't around. Linoleum made for a much
better bat them around surface, I'm sure. :-D

Jill
Old August 10th 14, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/10/2014 3:31 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I bet those candies shot around really fast, bouncing off things until
they shot under the stove, then she fetched another.

You know they scooted around so much better on the smooth kitchen floor!

Another case when we wish we'd got cameras set up to watch them when they
thought we couldn't.

Judith

There have been many times I wished I'd had cameras set up. You should
have seen the look on the man's face when he pulled out the stove and
found all those candies. Even when I explained it, he seemed puzzled.

Jill
Old August 11th 14, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:

There have been many times I wished I'd had cameras set up. You should
have seen the look on the man's face when he pulled out the stove and
found all those candies. Even when I explained it, he seemed puzzled.

Jill

Well, I dunno about you, but how often does one try to clean UNDER a
modern gas range?
Old August 11th 14, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/11/2014 3:39 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

There have been many times I wished I'd had cameras set up. You
should have seen the look on the man's face when he pulled out the
stove and found all those candies. Even when I explained it, he
seemed puzzled.

Jill

Well, I dunno about you, but how often does one try to clean UNDER a
modern gas range?

It was electric, but your point is well taken. I certainly never
thought to pull the range out from the wall. Out of sight, out of mind,
as they say. I couldn't do it with the one I have these days - it's an
all in one unit (circa 1986) with a built-in microwave on top. I
couldn't move it even if I wanted to. Persia never played in this
kitchen, though. The only thing she did here was beg for sips of milk
pretty much every time I went near the fridge.

Jill