I Don't Really Need a Fifth Cat, But...

Old August 12th 14, 05:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Art Shapiro

Default I Don't Really Need a Fifth Cat, But...

On a whim I answered a CraigsList ad looking for a temporary home for a
cat while the owner is in a "sober living" facility.

Yesterday we were finally able to cross paths. I had to meet her in the
parking lot of a shoe store in Anaheim (California), about 22 miles from
my home. She was taking the bus to that location; apparently the cat
was living in the tiny yard of her ex's office.

We met, and I took the cat carrier out of my car. I was told she would
go berserk in a carrier, and that holding her would be the best. So we
walked a little bit to reach the office complex. It was gated and
locked, but a resident seeing us standing at a gate was kind enough to
let us in. The owner led me through the maze of the complex, and soon
we came to a small patch of dirt and grass. There was the cat, a really
pretty longhaired cream color. The owner picked her up, and we walked
back to my car. Even though this was along a really busy road (State
College Blvd. for those of you who might know the Orange County area)
the cat was perfectly happy and didn't struggle at all.

I was told her name was Snow-something, I think Snowball, but the owner
always called her Wally. (What in the world???) She's 14 years old,
and hasn't had any vet care in years, as the owner was living in her car
and has no money. The cat apparently has thyroid problems, but never
had any treatment.

I drove her a couple miles to a major cross street where she was to take
the bus home, and off I went holding the cat in my arms. She was
completely happy. After traffic started to get heavy, I handed her to
my wife and the trip home was completely smooth. And I thought all cats
hated cars! She got more affection in a half hour or so of driving than
my last acquisition Thud, scared to death of people, has received in a year.

We got home and I showed her a litter box and put her on the bed. She
jumped down, scurried down the hall, saw my living room couch, and
squeezed underneath. Typical. I figured that would be it for the next
few days, and that she'd come out at night when it was completely quiet.

Amazingly, in about 2 1/2 hours, she crawled out, started investigating
the place, and decided this was a Good Home. She jumped on a few
chairs, made herself at home on the dining room table, ate everything I
could put in front of her, and was happy as could be. But she growled
whenever any of the others got near. When I stretched out on the couch,
up she jumped for affection.

So she seems really happy right now, and I'm just astounded how quickly
she took to the house. I'm apparently going to have her for a number of
months. Anyway, here's a pictu

http://www.ocrebels.com/Wally.jpg .

Art

Old August 12th 14, 05:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 8/11/2014 9:24 PM, Art Shapiro wrote:
[...]

You may not need a fifth cat, but apparently she needs you. I hope she
and the others will learn to get along with each other.

Joy

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old August 12th 14, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Art Shapiro" wrote in message ...

On a whim I answered a CraigsList ad looking for a temporary home for a
cat while the owner is in a "sober living" facility.

snip

So she seems really happy right now, and I'm just astounded how quickly
she took to the house. I'm apparently going to have her for a number of
months. Anyway, here's a pictu

http://www.ocrebels.com/Wally.jpg .

Art

~~~~~~~
Good for you for doing all this. I must admit that I would be afraid to
follow a stranger like that and give her a ride in my car. It's possible
that the cat could be a permanent resident, or she could also be there for a
very short time (given the circumstances). She is a gorgeous cat, and she
found someone who will give her a good home for whatever time it takes. It
looks like she really is loved, and you have also given her hoomin peace of
mind while she is receiving treatment.

MaryL

Old August 12th 14, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

I was told her name was Snow-something, I think Snowball, but
the owner always called her Wally. (What in the world???)

Opera fan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hsmoo97CVA

Old August 12th 14, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

[...]

~~~~~~~~
I hope you will have her checked for feline leukemia and other possible
health problems before introducing her to your resident cats. This is
particularly important because you said she has not had veterinary care for
a number of years.

Incidentally, my Nikki was rescued from a WalMart parking lot. As a result,
someone suggested that I should call her "Wally." That really wasn't the
name I wanted for her, but I was intrigued when I saw your note. "Nikki"
became her name because I adopted her close to Christmas (actually, on Dec.
7), and "Saint Nicholas" came to mind.

MaryL

Old August 12th 14, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

She is sure pretty

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furball

Old August 13th 14, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Art Shapiro

On 8/12/2014 2:23 PM, Jack Campin wrote:

Opera fan?

Well, that made me grin! I'm usually pretty good about thinking outside
the box, but that one hadn't occurred to me. Somehow, I don't think the
owner was that erudite.

I haven't looked at your link yet - just getting home from work - but
suspect it's the one famous aria. I'll check it out after I catch up on
the day's mail.

Art

Old August 14th 14, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

[...]

Bless your beautiful heart for taking her in. It's not that she wasn't
loved,you know, but certain addictions are so strong that people will lose
everything to continue with it. Their house, their pets, their children
even.
Saw it in my job.

Old August 15th 14, 01:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cindi Marshall

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 21:24:47 -0700, Art Shapiro wrote:

So she seems really happy right now, and I'm just astounded how quickly
she took to the house. I'm apparently going to have her for a number of
months. Anyway, here's a pictu
Art

Art, that's such a pretty kitty. Our Mojo would have cows if we even
THOUGHT about bringing another cat into HIS house.
Old August 15th 14, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/14/2014 8:47 PM, Cindi Marshall wrote:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 21:24:47 -0700, Art Shapiro wrote:

So she seems really happy right now, and I'm just astounded how quickly
she took to the house. I'm apparently going to have her for a number of
months. Anyway, here's a pictu
Art

Art, that's such a pretty kitty. Our Mojo would have cows if we even
THOUGHT about bringing another cat into HIS house.

Persia would have *hated* another cat. Sorry, but no amount of
integration would have let her accept another cat in her space. She was
an only-cat. Some of them are.

Jill