Purrs please

Old November 19th 03, 06:19 AM
Christine Burel

Mega purrs and prayers for your friend!
Christine
"GraceCat" wrote in message
om...
A dear family friend was involved in an accident last night about two
am. He fell asleep at the wheel of his truck and hit a tree. He was
thrown out of the truck, through his back glass and into the truck
bed, it's horrible. A few hours ago they were unsure if he'd make it.
His parents understandably are basketcases. He broke his pelvis, has
internal bleeding that won't clot, he severed the main artery (I
think, pretty sure) in his thigh, skinned and ripped muscles and skin
tissue (already several grafts in the unforeseeable future), he was
punctured by debris and they're not sure if this colostomy bag will be
permanent and a family friend (gf's stepfather actually but not family
so I dunno) mentioned they might if they must, amputate the leg. I
dunno on that last.. but it's rough.

He's 22, sweet as pie and cute as hell. I babysat his girlfriend and
his sister is my sister's best friend. Kinda extended family ya know.

Anyway, the local hospital worked for ten hours trying to get the
hemmoraging to stop and they couldn't. So they transported him to New
Orleans, four hours south via ambulance. The weather is so bad they
couldn't use the helicopter that they really needed to use because
it's a long drive. But thankfully the internal bleeding had slowed
somewhat, he's breathing on his own above the respirator (I think
they're removing life support if he continues breathing) but he's not
out of the woods by far and he might make the drive down south. Four
hours ago, a four hour drive was an impossibility because they've been
giving him blood since 3am this morning. As fast as they're pumping it
in, he's losing it. He's still bleeding excessively and the local
hospital doesn't have the technology needed. They finally stopped
surgery around 11, closed him up and said all they could do is place
him in ICU, wait until a larger hospital had space (Shreveport LSU
medical center did not, Tulane at New Orleans did) and hope. I'm not
sure what further resources a different hospital has in way of
hemmoraging but that's the way it's been today.

The doctor said the single most and only reason he's alive and did not
die at the scene was his age and his health. He's very active,
athletic and young. As he put it, a forty year old man would have died
at impact or shortly after.

Matt had been at his girlfriend/intended's house studying because
they're taking a huge amount of difficult classes this semester. I saw
him on the 4th at the coffee shop and they were both hard at it. From
what she's saying, and his family is saying, he has been operating on
little to no sleep for the last several days. He wasn't speeding
(55-65ish) and the stretch of road was just a few minutes from both
mine and his house. A fairly safe stretch. He just dozed off.

We'd appreciate purrs and prayers for everyone.