Ban Those Names!

Old October 29th 04, 11:51 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

I'd like to challenge their assumptions that animals are inferior to
humans. (Maybe they don't realize that humans are also animals, and
therefore, all people would be illegally named? )

The original idea is from a Brazilian congressman. A school Nathan went to had
a Brazilian nun who taught religion. Lovely lady, but some interesting ideas
;-) In one lesson she asked the kids to write down the names of five family
members who loved them. Nathan wrote "Mum, Dad, Waffles, Francis, Marble" The
school has a Sister Francis. The Brazilian nun saw Nathan's writing and said,
"Nathan! you do not say Francis, it is Sister Francis!" Nathan responded by
saying that Francis was his cat, as is Waffles & Marble. The nun was most
confused - "How can animals be your family?" she said. Nathan insisted that
Waffles, Francis and Marble are indeed his family, and loved members at that.
The Brazilian nun often reminds me of this tale, as she then goes on to say
that in Brazil, this would be seen as most odd, as animals are not looked upon
in this way, they are just animals. My response was that animals are god's
creatures, and as such, we should respect them and if a child can learn to love
and respect animals, that child will learn to love & respect people, as the
animals respond to be treated with kindness. This seemed to be a reason for
much deep thought. So much so that on a holiday back in Brazil, she retold the
story at a mass in her church. Different culture, different attitudes methinks.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old October 30th 04, 12:08 AM

In one lesson she asked the kids to write down the names of five family
members who loved them. Nathan wrote "Mum, Dad, Waffles, Francis, Marble"
The school has a Sister Francis. The Brazilian nun saw Nathan's writing
and said, "Nathan! you do not say Francis, it is Sister Francis!"

Oddly, she had no comment about the other names in Nathan's list. I wonder
who she thought "Waffles" and "Marble" were?? Nathan's brother and/or
sister, LOL? (Well, that congressman didn't say anything about not giving
animal names to children! )

I suppose that if this nun were new to the UK and not familiar with English
names, that might explain the oversight.

The Brazilian nun often reminds me of this tale, as she then goes on
to say that in Brazil, this would be seen as most odd, as animals are
not looked upon in this way, they are just animals.

I think Britta has posted about this, too - that the Thais she meets think
it's odd how much she and Dennis adore Vino.

This seemed to be a reason for much deep thought. So much so that on a
holiday back in Brazil, she retold the story at a mass in her church.

That's wonderful! You did a great thing, Helen.

Joyce

Old October 30th 04, 12:17 AM
Victor Martinez

confused - "How can animals be your family?" she said. Nathan insisted that
Waffles, Francis and Marble are indeed his family, and loved members at that.

You are doing a wonderful job raising Nathan! He sounds like such a good
human being.

The Brazilian nun often reminds me of this tale, as she then goes on to say
that in Brazil, this would be seen as most odd, as animals are not looked upon
in this way, they are just animals. My response was that animals are god's

That is very common in many countries, unfortunately. In Mexico they
make fun at all the things americans do to pamper their pets. My mom
still argues with me when she mentions that I don't have children and I
reply saying that I have seven.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old October 30th 04, 12:49 AM
Bobcat

wrote in message
Jeanne Hedge wrote:

Federal congressman
Reinaldo Santos e Silva proposed the law after psychologists

suggested
that some children may get depressed when they learn they share

their
first name with someone's pet

Give me a break!!! What would be depressing about that? I would have
found it *funny* to meet a cat or dog named Joyce.

"Names have importance," said Alves. The congressman "wants to
challenge people's assumptions that it's acceptable to give

animals
human names," she said.

I'd like to challenge their assumptions that animals are inferior to
humans. (Maybe they don't realize that humans are also animals, and
therefore, all people would be illegally named? )

Alves admitted the law's chances of passage were slim but said

Silva
hoped the bill would call attention to his other efforts to

protect
animals.

His "other" efforts to protect animals? Implying that the ban-human-
names idea has something to do with protecting animals?
Joyce

I may have missed some of this thread, but if some politico has
proposed a law banning people from naming animals after humans, I'd be
in trouble if I lived in the U.S. and the law were enacted! When we
acquired one of our kitties we asked the little girl next door (and
her mom) if we could name our new arrival after her. The little girl
was delighted, and agreed immediately, as did her parent. Mind you,
the entire family are ailurophiles so we weren't surprised at their
reaction!