A thing fell out of Crackles' ear

Old August 4th 04, 09:07 AM

Default A thing fell out of Crackles' ear

Mary wrote:

Each bottle contains 100 capsules 250 mg each of amoxycillin.
Take the capsules apart and pour the powder into the bottle.
Throw the empty capsules away. Lots of wildlife and cat rescuers
use this for this purpose. In fact even humans take fish
antibiotics because it's so much cheaper yet is the same thing.

Thanks for indulging me and explaining that again. Makes sense now.

Wow, I didn't realize that antibiotics were available for animals
without prescriptions. That's an interesting fact to know.

So if you buy the 100-capsule bottle and just mix a few at a time
with water, you're making it last a lot longer, I guess! I wonder
how long the stuff lasts before expiration?

And then there's the issue of needing to take the full amount
until the entire prescription is gone. Doctors always say that
you have to take all of it, and not stop taking them just because
you feel better, because the infection isn't necessarily gone,
and that way it could come back. So, I guess that when you do the
math regarding the dosage, you'd also need to figure out how long
to keep giving it so that it does the job.

Thanks,
Joyce

Old August 5th 04, 10:32 AM
badwilson

wrote in message
LOL wrote:

I ask because I use a solution called "colloidal silver" whenever I'm
coming down with a cold.

Errr, isn't that the stuff that turns you gray? It may be good stuff,
but I look undead enough with my ghostly paleness, thanks. :-P

Yes, it can turn you grey if overused. (It's a permanent skin condition
called "argyria".) I'm pretty careful about that, though. Although on
the bottle it suggests daily use, I would never consume that stuff on a
regular basis. And even when I get sick, I'll only take it for about 4
days (after which, the infection seems to be clearing up anyway). I sure
don't want to end up with grey skin. Grey hair is enough, thanks!

Apparently, this new way of making the colloidal silver solution with this
gizmo my friend is marketing, the suspension of silver particles is so fine
that it doesn't turn your skin grey. I'm no expert but that's their claim
anyway.
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's covered

Old August 5th 04, 10:51 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , m. L. Briggs
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 21:22:02 -0400, Howard Berkowitz
wrote:

In article , m. L. Briggs
wrote:

It's best to know what you are doing. A couple of years ago My cat
fell off my lap and one of her back claws dug into my lower leg. I
did the usual first aid but an infection developed. In the course of
fighting this infection, one of the doctors prescribed Silvadene
(which is collodial silver ointment)

Not exactly. It is the compound silver sulfadiazine. Colloidal silver is
a very fine suspension of metallic silver. Metallic silver will darken
as it is exposed to air. Yes, it is prescribed for skin ulcers, but I
really wouldn't expect it to be terribly useful for an infected scratch.

It did start to help the
infection, but I apparently was allergic to it (it is a cousin of
sorts to sulpha).

It's a standard sulfa drug with silver added. In general, it is the
topical cream of first choice for serious burns.

I developed a bad reaction: all over itching that
was terrible. It took 9 months to clear the infection, clear the
allergy and to say the wound was healed.

Thanks for correcting me. You must be a doctor (or about to be) or a
chemist (or about to be). The scratch resulted in a staph infection.
All in all, a big mess

LOL...I like to say "I'm not a doctor, but I play/simulate them on
computers." Originally a biochemist, but do a lot of medical
engineering/informatics, as well as Internet engineering. My original
biochemical interest was bacterial resistance to penicillins, and
antibiotic resistance in general.
Old August 5th 04, 10:51 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , m. L. Briggs
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 21:22:02 -0400, Howard Berkowitz

Old August 5th 04, 10:51 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , m. L. Briggs
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 21:22:02 -0400, Howard Berkowitz

Old August 6th 04, 11:34 AM
badwilson

wrote in message
badwilson wrote:

I don't know the name of the company off hand, but I can ask my friend.

Thanks. I'd love to look them up and find out more about it.

Ok, here's the website: www.pocketsilver.com
They are selling it here in Thailand for 5800 baht ($145 US) and twice that
much in Europe.
They are not selling it in the US because they don't have anyone to market
it there yet.

The company and my friend are also doing some research with AIDS

patients
here in some small town in Thailand.

Meaning, they're researching the use of colloidal silver in the treatment
of infections in AIDS patients? That would be a great thing to research.

Yes, they have given a few of the machines to this AIDS home and they are
giving the patients the colloidal silver. The AIDS home people are supposed
to keep track of the patients that are receiving it and how they are doing,
etc. But it's just not happening, the info isn't coming in. The employees
of the AIDS home don't seem to understand that it's important to be
judicious in the data collecting and documenting. It's too bad really, it
would be great to find out if it does help or not.

Joyce - who has a bottle of hand cream from Trader Joe's called

"colloidal
oatmeal". (No joke!)

LOL! That's cute :-)

I just wonder what it actually is - do they actually have "oatmeal

molecules"
suspended in the cream? (What is an "oatmeal molecule, anyway? )

Hmmm, probably finely ground oatmeal dust which is put into the cream. Not
much of a molecule but I bet it's a nice hand cream anyway.