Best way to keep us all cool?

Old July 13th 11, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default Best way to keep us all cool?

"hopitus" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 5:20 am, "MaryL" wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in ...

Again, why not experiment? Get some roof shingles and grow some kudzu on
it and see what happens?

Yowie

- - - - - - - - - -

No!! I hope she will not seriously consider kudzu. It is a rampant and
invasive species. It was apparently imported to the U.S. for erosion
control and in the hope that it would make good fodder for cows. Instead,
it has literally taken over certain areas of the south and has become a
major pest that seems to be almost immune to attempts to control it. I
don't know if it would thrive as far north as Pat lives. If it does, she
and everyone else in her area could live to regret it. It will cover
trees
and block out light so that they are killed, cover telephone poles, etc.
Once established, it is fast-growing and almost impossible to control. I
remember the first time I saw it--it looked like some foliage monster out
of
a horror movie that had taken over everything. Take a look at these
pictures:http://www.cornelldailysun.com/articles/9671/

MaryL

Kudzu is all over south FL and is a PITA, locally treated with some
evil herbicide
or other to kill it by environmental agencies there. I know what it
looks like, etc.
but your link sent me to some educational house journal of a renowned
college
in upstate NY; nothing re kudzu and when I typed it into the search
line....nada.
Another try got me a 404.
I dunno about MO where Pat lives at all. People in sourh FL diligently
avoid stuff
growing on their roofs, as during 'canes big wind finds vines, etc.
like a handy
living *lever* as it assists wind ripping off roof material, then
entire roof if wind
strong enough and blowing just right direction, leaving you in your
bathtub gazing
up at a whole lotta trouble. Cutesy "vine-covered cottages" are rare
there, except
for the very old ones still existing in areas like Coconut Grove,
where homes of
*coral rock* construction were common in Miami's early settlement
eras. My
dead body would live in or buy one of those; scorpions *love* rock
houses.
Click on the pic to enlarge photo.
http://www.miami-fl-real-estate.com/...erty/M1248863/
Big, big bucks...valuable property location. Waterfront on south end
of town where
barrier islands (Key Biscayne) protect largely from Atlantic 'canes.

- - - - - - - - - -

I don't know what happened with the link I provided. So, let's try again.
See if this works:
http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isc...l805 l1.2.2l5
--Or you could use this TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/65o4rof

MaryL

Old July 13th 11, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
hopitus[_2_]

On Jul 13, 10:38*am, "MaryL" wrote:

"Yowie" *wrote

See if this works:http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isc...iw=1145&bih=61...
--Or you could use this TinyURL: *http://tinyurl.com/65o4rof
MaryL

Much better. Good ole kudzu; never saw so many pic of it in one place,
LOL. Map was interesting;
looks like (ND, other cold states) it doesn't mind freezing winters to
survive. I wonder if the gift giver
of this pest (Japan) looks like these pics outside of urban life.
Old July 13th 11, 06:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 7/13/2011 11:38 AM, MaryL wrote:

"hopitus" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 5:20 am, "MaryL" wrote:
[...]

It reminds me of that old scifi movie "The Blob".

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old July 14th 11, 01:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
MaryL typed:
"Yowie" wrote in message ...

[...]

And there I was, thinking Kudzu was a variety of lawn grass!!! Ooops!

Have you thought of native grasses up on your roof, Pat?

Yowie

Old July 14th 11, 02:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Yowie" wrote in message
In ,
MaryL typed:
"Yowie" wrote in message ...

[...]

LOL! Kudzu is to Southern U.S. as rabbits are to Australia.

Joy

Old July 14th 11, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

"Joy" wrote
"Yowie" wrote
MaryL typed:
"Yowie" wrote Again, why not experiment? Get some roof shingles and
grow some kudzu
on it and see what happens?
- - - - - - - - - -

No!! I hope she will not seriously consider kudzu. It is a rampant
and invasive species. It was apparently imported to the U.S. for
erosion control and in the hope that it would make good fodder for
cows. Instead, it has literally taken over certain areas of the
south and has become a major pest that seems to be almost immune to
attempts to control it. I don't know if it would thrive as far north
as Pat lives. If it does, she and everyone else in her area could
live to regret it.

And there I was, thinking Kudzu was a variety of lawn grass!!! Ooops!

Have you thought of native grasses up on your roof, Pat?

LOL! Kudzu is to Southern U.S. as rabbits are to Australia.

We have kudzu nearby. I was thinking of growing it in barrels so I wouldn't
spread except to climb up onto the roof.

BTW kudzu IS a great fodder - for all sorts of animals.

Old July 16th 11, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Collection? (WAS Best way to keep us all cool?)

MatSav wrote:

wrote in message

I also have a small window a/c, but I hardly ever use it. I
haven't used it for about 4 or 5 years. ...

Question: if I were to use it now, would it be safe in terms of
mold or other stagnant-water borne nasties?

No! It's most definitely unsafe. Legionella, amongst other
things, could well be breeding in any trapped water.

Yikes, now I do remember when the source of Legionnaire's was discovered
in the a/c units in the building they were in. That was a long time
ago, so I forgot. I just had a hunch it wouldn't be such a great thing
to do. I think I'll give it away on freecycle - maybe someone else will
pay to have it serviced.

The only one who will miss it is Roxy. She loves to sit on that thing
and look out the window. Oh, and it's also where my fan sits. It's
really just been furniture for several years. Guess I'll have to find
a replacement for that.

That *may* prove cheaper than having your old unit serviced. You
may discover that the refrigerant gas used is now a banned
CFC-substance as well, so it'd have to be replaced.

I think CFCs were banned before 1999, but I may be wrong.

Joyce

--
- Your mom and I are going to divorce next month.
- What??? Why! Call me please?