Best way to keep us all cool?

Old July 12th 11, 04:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Default Best way to keep us all cool?

I hope someone with a brain for physics can explain to me how to maximize
cooling of this non-air-conditioned house. It's been super hot here lately
and the cats, the hoomins and the bunny wabbit are all suffering. But maybe
we are doing something wrong....

Early in the morning we close up the thermal windows and doors against the
heat. This usually keeps the indoor temp about 20 degrees cooler than
outdoors until the middle to late afternoon. As the day wears on, the temp
differential shrinks until finally around 9 PM it is equal and that's when
we open all the windows and doors to let the house cool down during the
night.

Except lately the house isn't cooling down enough during the night for it to
be pleasant inside the next day. It was still 80 degrees inside at 7 AM
today. Normally it's at least down to 75. The outdoor temp is going down
lower than that most nights. Right now, at 10 PM, it's 87 in here.

Tonight I want to do something to change the situation, if possible. If I
can figure out what it will take.

There is a 2'x3' hole in the floor in the center of the house, where a floor
furnace used to be. As of now, there is a metal grate sitting in that hole
and it lets cool air from the basement come up. There's a window fan in the
upper sash of one window sucking air out, which helps to pull the cooler air
up from the basement (door to the outside is open down there). When I stand
on the grate, I can feel the cool air coming up.

I've also got 4 ceiling fans running at top speed. I noticed while cleaning
them yesterday that each one has a switch that can be used to make it turn
in the opposite direction. I don't know which way the fans *should* be
turning to help cool down the house at night, but I know that when one is
turning counter-clockwise, it produces more of a "breeze" on my body if I
stand under it.

Would it help if I put a box fan on top of the floor grate, blowing upward?
Should the window fan be blowing in, rather than sucking out? If this was
your house, how would you arrange it? (don't tell me to install a/c; I can't
afford the appliance OR the extra electricity) (and no, I am not in a place
where a swamp cooler would do any good)

Thanks in advance for any advice. And BTW I wear wet clothes in the house,
even in bed at night. It is the only way I've managed to survive so far. But
I'd really like for the house to be cooler, for many reasons, not least of
which is I think this computer would last longer. Certainly the cats would
be more comfortable, and so would the bunny.

Old July 12th 11, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
Pat typed:
[...]

Its as simple as this:

Hot air rises, cold air falls.

Which is why the air in your basement is cooler than the air in your
ceiling.

What you need to do is suck as much cool air from the basement *into* your
house, and blow as much hot air from the ceiling/roof out of your house.

The fan blowing upwards over hte basement grate is *exactly* what you should
be doing. At the top of each window, blow the air out. Even better, blow it
out the top of yoru roof

I don't know what you call them over there, but if you can get yor roof
fitted with a whirley bird, that will happily remove the hottest air from
your roof cavity and draw in the cooler air simply by convection. It needs
no power. What is a whirley bird? They look like this:

http://www.sheds2go.com.au/images/am...hirly-bird.jpg

You can close them in winter so you don't lose the heat you are pumping into
your house.

And yes, closing up the house from the heat is the right thing to do until
it gets to the point where the house and the atmosphere are about the same
temp, and then you need to get rid of the heat in your house pronto.

The ceiling fans are there to mix the air up so there's not hot and no cold
spots, not necessarily to move air from one place to another. They are
generally set to provide a breeze in summer so as to increase the
evaopration of sweat on your skin, leaving you feeling a little cooler. If
you like the breeze, set it that way, but remember that they'll 'mix up' the
air. If you are trying to blow coool air in and blow hot air out, don't use
the ceiling fan in any other room than the one you are in and need the
'breeze'.

Placing a damp open weave cloth over the basement grate will cool the air
even more - this is the essence of a swamp cooler.

And if you have excess amounts of water (water is almost always restricted
here), as soon as the sun goes down, spray the down the south & west walls
of the house. It will cool them down and stop them continuing radiating the
heat into the house.

Common sense dictates that you restict the use of 'heat making' equipment -
including computers, tvs, incandescent lights, cooking etc etc - to the
minimum necessary, and preferrably in a room where you can close the door
and go to a cooler part of the house when finished.

In the future plant deciduous trees on the south and west facing walls,
you'll block out a lot of the heat from heating your out walls in summer,
but will enjoy the benefits of sunlight in winter. Another trick is to paint
your roof white and use as much insulation as you can in your roof cavity.

Yowie
(Aussies are great at keeping cool in summer. We have no idea about how to
keep warm in winter, though)

Old July 12th 11, 04:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 11, 10:01*pm, "Pat" wrote:
[...]

I don't have a brain for physics either; but I did live in a 2-story
house once
with an attic fan. It made a remarkable difference, by pulling the hot
air
out of the attic. So it seems to me that it would depend upon whether
your
outside temp or inside temp was cooler, as to which way to aim the box
fans.
And if the air in the basement is cooler, why *not* pull it into the
house with a fan?

Our ceiling fans run clockwise. Looking up at it, the right side of
each blade
pitches forward. I don't know whether all fans are universal, but I
would think
the pitch of the blades would have a whole lot to do with it.

It's been a terribly hot summer for a whole lot of the country. These
are
the temps that Okla. *should* be getting in august.

Sherry
Old July 12th 11, 05:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
hopitus[_2_]

On Jul 11, 9:01*pm, "Pat" wrote:
[...]

My only helpful tip is obvious: if you can nuke it rather than use
stove burners for
meals, and God Forbid the *oven* (nononono) it will not add to the
interior heat.
I am the polar opposite: very happy to be hot here and mainly
concerned with trying
'to keep *warm* and not use much electric power up in long winters
here.
Snaggly likes me to put ice cubes in his drinking water bowl.
Taking up all throw rugs so cats have cool wood, tile or linoleum to
lay on might add
to their comfort.
Old July 12th 11, 06:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 07/11/2011 09:01 PM, Pat wrote:
[...]

Don't know if you have tried this, but I remember from long ago of
hanging wet sheets in front of fans. We used to have an old lady
neighbour who lived in a wet bathing suit to keep cool. Our condo does
lawn watering at night, which helps cool it off. Pray for rain. Best
wishes. MLB

Old July 12th 11, 03:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Yowie wrote
I don't know what you call them over there, but if you can get yor roof
fitted with a whirley bird, that will happily remove the hottest air from
your roof cavity and draw in the cooler air simply by convection. It needs
no power. What is a whirley bird? They look like this:

http://www.sheds2go.com.au/images/am...hirly-bird.jpg

You can close them in winter so you don't lose the heat you are pumping
into your house.

I do have a bunch of attic vents, but I mainly did that because mold was
growing up on the rafters. If I get this thing, do I then need to leave the
attic entrance open at all times? It's just a hole in the ceiling, covered
with a board. It's inside a small closet which is normally kept closed. I
used to think if I left both closet and attic entry open in summer, it would
help, but I don't think it worked, it didn't seem to make a difference. I
once left the attic entry open with the closet door shut. This caused the
contents of the closet to heat up a lot and made me wonder if the heat was
coming down even more when the closet door was open..

And if you have excess amounts of water (water is almost always restricted
here), as soon as the sun goes down, spray the down the south & west walls
of the house. It will cool them down and stop them continuing radiating
the heat into the house.

The walls stay pretty cool. The ceiling doesn't. Wouldn't spraying the roof
work better? It doesn't really matter, because the water here isn't free;
any extra used has to go on the garden.

In the future plant deciduous trees on the south and west facing walls,
you'll block out a lot of the heat from heating your out walls in summer,
but will enjoy the benefits of sunlight in winter. Another trick is to
paint your roof white and use as much insulation as you can in your roof
cavity.

No can do about the trees, unless I want the sewer line invaded by roots,
nor the paint, because the roof is asphalt shingles. I thought I might get
four large barrels and plant kudzu vines at each corner of the house and let
them cover the roof! If they tried to run elsewhere than up the house, I'd
have to stop them, of course. But I'm not sure having kudzu vines attaching
to the shingles would be good for the shingles....

Old July 12th 11, 03:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
hopitus[_2_]

On Jul 12, 8:03*am, "Pat" wrote:
Yowie wrote

[...]

My house in FL had asphalt shingles (much better to resist ripping off
in 'canes than
the barrel tile roof it had before Andrew did a number on it and I had
it reroofed with asphalt,
but I share Pat's apprehension about any vines incorporating
themselves into the shingles
even though she has no 'canes in MO.
More important: her fear re the water/sewer line being invaded by
water-seeking tree roots
is not only totally valid but expensive to deal with as you have to
get professionals to dig in
there and remove root twinings all up and down the line.....one *big*
expense, I have BTDT
at the house in FL. (those lovely old mature treees, ficus and rubber,
were the culprits...if you
remember the pics I posted a long time ago of backyard of house in FL
(the trees that the
iguanas hung out in those trees hung out on a cliff over the lake
behind house; do you think
they were happy with going for *lake water*? NO, the roots went for
the water line *beside*
the house.
Pat is not in FL but lives in MO however I don't think trees roots
behave any differently there
than where I lived seeking water source handy to invade.
Old July 12th 11, 04:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Collection? (WAS Best way to keep us all cool?)

"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

If you're not opposed to the idea, I'd be willing to chip in some money to
buy a window air conditioning unit for your house. I seem to remember we
did that for kilikini. I remember all too well what it was like living in a
small apartment (35 years ago) in the Tennessee heat without A/C. I
couldn't sleep it was so hot. As we get older we don't deal with the heat
as well and neither do our furry friends. I cannot imagine wearing wet
clothes to bed.

I'd be willing to pitch in $15. I found a window unit online from Home
Depot for $99. I think the highest price I found was $200. Anyone else
willing to chip in some money to cool Pat and her critters off?

Jill

Old July 12th 11, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote

If you're not opposed to the idea, I'd be willing to chip in some money to
buy a window air conditioning unit for your house. I seem to remember we
did that for kilikini. I remember all too well what it was like living in
a small apartment (35 years ago) in the Tennessee heat without A/C. I
couldn't sleep it was so hot. As we get older we don't deal with the heat
as well and neither do our furry friends. I cannot imagine wearing wet
clothes to bed.

I'd be willing to pitch in $15. I found a window unit online from Home
Depot for $99. I think the highest price I found was $200. Anyone else
willing to chip in some money to cool Pat and her critters off?

I sure appreciate the thought, Jill, but I don't think a small window a/c
unit would do any good here. The main central part of the house is much too
big for a small unit to cool. That would leave putting it in one of the
bedrooms, and we can't all congregate in a bedroom all the time. Plus the
cost of electricity in this town is en route to the stars - it already went
to the moon years ago.

Old July 12th 11, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Pat" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote

[...]

I didn't think your house was that big. I just thought I'd suggest it, Pat.
I'd rather pay a few extra bucks a month for electricity than sleep in wet
clothes. Running fans constantly can't exactly be inexpensive.

Jill