Mom [OT]

Old March 31st 04, 07:06 PM
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:21:19 +0100, "Adrian"
yodeled:

wrote:
badwilson wrote:

Air trapped in a cavity or loose filling may expand when increased
altitude causes it to expand. It could be very painful.

Yer really grasping at straws there, dude. I mean, what about all

the other pilots from say North America and Europe and places like
that. I guess all of their cavity filled mouths must be screaming
in pain every time they go flying!

Yeah, I mean, great. Next time I fly (which will be this Sunday), I'm
going to worry that the pilot might get a sudden expansion of air
inside one of his fillings and go insane with the pain and crash the
plane.

Joyce

If you hear over the PA "Is there a dentist aboard" maybe you should worry.
;-)

Not as much as if you hear an "OH MY GOD!" then a dead silence. :P

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)
Old March 31st 04, 07:48 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:30:39 -0500, "Hopitus2"
wrote:

As a sincerely meant compliment, Joyce......you're younger than you think
you are. My sixth-grade teacher (female) used to whack misbehavers, male or
female, with a short rubber hose (no marks)and the principal had a famous
"wooden paddle" used on backsides of those sent to her office. I never
underwent either punishment personally. My little brother went to parochial
school, where the teachers whacked misbehavers w/ wooden rulers. No parent
would dream of protesting such discipline, much less sueing. This was FL,
still famous for regarding citizens' offspring as chattel,
human-rights-wise.

I'm not really sure when corporal punishment stopped in public
schools. I know that it was threatened through grade school (I
graduated HS in 72). As I remember, about half way through the time I
was going to grade school the teacher/principal had to have the
parents' permission, but that could have been just because I switched
from the San Diego County school system to Bakersfield, both in
California. Not that it happened very often, in fact it was very rare
for kids to get a spanking, maybe a couple times each school year.

Not that getting permission from parents helped us kids any, since all
our parents gave it. In fact, a kid who brought home a note saying
they'd been spanked would probably get another spanking once they got
home. In fact, kids in my family had it especially bad since Mom was a
stay at home Mom while we were in grade school. A spanking by the
teacher meant another by Mom when you got home, and then possibly a
third when Dad got home. Like I said above, it was rare, and as I
recall only happened in our family one or two times.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old March 31st 04, 09:05 PM
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:26:15 +0000 (UTC), Cheryl Perkins
yodeled:

Not as much as if you hear an "OH MY GOD!" then a dead silence. :P

A friend of mine was once sitting right in the back, next to the galley,
and a flight attendent-pilot intercom had been left on. Most of the
passengers just experienced some sudden 'turbulence'; she got to hear the
cockpit talk as the pilot attempted (successfully, fortunately) to avoid a
small plane that was somewhere it shouldn't have been.

She said the pilot expressed himself very forcefully.

Cheryl

The story I heard was about the loud exclamation, the sudden silence,
then the pilot returning two agonizing minutes later to report, "It's
OK folks, I just spilled my hot coffee in my lap."

Old March 31st 04, 11:23 PM
David Yehudah

It sounds a lot like the pilot who accidentally left the mike on after
announcing their coming landing. What everybody heard was the pilot say
to the co-pilot, "First I'm going to take me a big, country sh*t, then
I'm going to harpoon that new stewardess." Said stewardess was rushing
forward to tell the pilot to turn off the mike when she tripped and
fell, sprawling full length down the aisle, which prompted a little old
lady to whisper in her ear, "There's no rush, Dear. He has something
more important to take care of first."

Old April 1st 04, 12:08 AM
Yowie

wrote:

[...]

I think corporal punishment stopped at some point during my highschool years
(1981 - 1986 inc). I can remember boys getting hte cane in my earlier years,
but not my later ones (by that time, only boys got the cane, the girls got
dentention or some such only)

Yowie

Old April 1st 04, 12:36 AM
David Yehudah

I prefer a new technique brought into some of the local schools. It's
called in-school suspension. All who get it are put into one room. All
they're allowed to do is homework. They cannot speak to one another, and
they cannot speak to the aide who is baby-sitting them. It normally only
takes one day to straighten out the most hardened thugs. If they don't,
they get sent to an alternative school that is full of thugs just like
them. The regimen is harsh.

I wrote a magazine article a few years ago in which I suggested that
those who didn't want to learn be sent outdoors to play kickball or any
other time-wasting activity. That way the rest could get the education
they are being cheated out of now by a few chronic losers.

Old April 1st 04, 03:15 AM
Jennifer Winters

wrote in message
Jette Goldie wrote:

I get extremely angry when someone calls me by my surname
without an honorific - it's extremely rude in Scotland, implying
a relationship of superiority over you. (teachers used to use
students' surnames only, officers address enlisted men by
their surnames only, masters would address servants by
their surnames only whereas the servant =had= to use an
honorific to their master. equals use honorifics until they
become friendly enough to use first names)

In the US, this can also be insulting, although there are no formal
rules about who uses honorifics for whom, and who doesn't. But barking
out someone's last name as an address does carry the connotation of,
if not quite disrespect, then a sort of dislike for the person, as
though using their first name would be too friendly and imply liking.

Well, except for where I work where we have a half a dozen different Davids
and we have to call them by their last names to differentiate!

--
Jennifer Winters
Nerd in babe's clothing

Old April 1st 04, 05:22 AM

Hopitus2 wrote:

As a sincerely meant compliment, Joyce......you're younger than you think
you are. My sixth-grade teacher (female) used to whack misbehavers, male or
female, with a short rubber hose (no marks)and the principal had a famous
"wooden paddle" used on backsides of those sent to her office.

UGH!! A rubber hose? That's an instrument of torture.

I don't remember incidents of corporal punishment when I was in school,
but I think I was just lucky. I know that kids were getting hit and
paddled at around the same time. (I was in grammar school during the
1960s.) But the kid who got the worst pummelling was in Catholic school.
Those nuns were the most violent people!

Joyce
Old April 1st 04, 05:29 AM

Kreisleriana wrote:

Not as much as if you hear an "OH MY GOD!" then a dead silence. :P

Thank you for providing me this perfect segueway to a joke:

The seatbelt lights have just gone off and the pilot's on the PA
system, welcoming everyone on the flight. At just that moment, a
flight attendant comes in with some coffee, and just as she's
handing it to him, there's some turbulence, and she spills the
hot coffee in his lap. In the middle of a sentence, he screams
out, "OH MY GOD!!!" Then he turns off the PA and cleans himself up.

Once cleaned up, he gets back on the PA once again to apologize.
"Sorry about that, folks, we had a little mishap with some coffee,
but everything's OK now. You should see the front of my pants!"

In the cabin, one of the passengers yells out: "You should see
the back of mine!"

Joyce
Old April 1st 04, 05:32 AM

Steve Touchstone wrote:

I graduated HS in 72

Does that make you a '54 baby, Steve? I have several friends who,
along with me, are hitting the Big 5-0 this year. tremble

Joyce