crying cat outside, what to do?

Old April 1st 04, 05:02 PM
RedRiver35

Default crying cat outside, what to do?

Good morning:

Chelle here.

Several weeks ago I trapped a medium sized to small gray tabby/white mix male.
He was
neutered, rabies shot, combo test negative. He bit the vet and was put in
rabies observation
for 10 days. I took him home and put him in a cage since I had two others in
the same room
with him, one who was sick and the other who was very dominant and may have
started a
fight. Medium sized dog crate covered with a blanket. He went used the box,
and on the third
day I noted much less stool in the box. He would not drink much. He would not
eat at all. I
put him back outside at 11:30 p.m. near my portch. I tried lots of stuff to
get him to eat, but
the vet said he would be in danger if he did not eat for more than 3 days. 2.5
weeks later he came back to my house. I feed him, but he is still very
frightened. He is not a dominant cat and is not a good food competitor. He
spends a few hours a day lounging around my portch, and he
cries so very much. I can't see any open wounds, broken extremities, he moves
well and runs
without a limp. Any ideas on what he would want with all the crying? All my
inside cats are fixed. He is fixed.

=================
"The day may come when the rest of the animal creation may acquire those rights
which never could have been withholden from them but by the hand of tyranny.
The question is not can they REASON, nor can they TALK, but can they SUFFER?"
-- Jeremy Bentham

Old April 1st 04, 05:55 PM
RedRiver35

Good morning:

Well ...

He acts like he wants me to pet him but when I open the door he runs.

He also cries when going around the gate in the next yard.

He hever has let us pet him.

I wonder if he wants me to follow him, which I can't do because the neighbor
gate is such that I can't open it, it is a privacy fence, and the neighbor is
gone.

He has been coming up and crying several times a day ever since he showed up
again.

I can, however, talk to him, and he does seem to pay attention to me.

Chelle.

Old April 2nd 04, 05:58 AM
Lotte

Chelle -- He sounds like one of my cats, whom I rescued as a stray. She is
just "talkative." She's constantly meowing, but doesn't necessarily want me
to pet her or touch her -- she'll often shy away if I try, just like the cat
you describe. I honestly don't know what she wants when she's yakking at me
(at first I gave her food when she did it, but often she didn't want it, so
I figured that wasn't what she was asking for), so I've started to just talk
back to her. We have a little conversation, which she seems to enjoy.
Maybe he is trying to make friends with you -- if he's making a noise like
"meeow?" that goes up in pitch at the end, that's an invitation to make
friends. If he does a loud "meoooowwrrrr," that's lower in pitch, that's
aggressive or fearful. There's a call in between the two that's a "hello is
anyone out there?" sound, but I dunno how to describe it in words. It's
louder than the invitation meow, and more drawn out, but it's not low and in
the back of the throat like the aggressive meow. He may just be trying to
placate you with friendly verbal greetings. Keep feeding him and talk back
and see if he likes that. Please post again and tell what happens, because
I'm curious on behalf of my yakky cat -- M9

Old April 3rd 04, 04:33 AM
Chris

Well I was feeding this stray who would do the exact same thing--cry & cry &
cry! For a long time, he would rub up agains my leg & feet but would jump
away if I went to pet him--I think somebody must have hit him in the past.
Anyway, to make a long story short, I brought him in during a particularly
bitter cold snap-months later, he sleeps cuddled up next to me on my bed,
follows me around like a puppy dog, loves to be petted. He still gets
scared if I try to pick him up but all things take time. He is still very
vocal. My only suggestion is to just go out and talk to him softly while he
eats. Spend as much time as you can where he can see you & hear you. At
some point, stoop down a few feet away from him & just put out some treats
every day in the same place--he'll come to eat the treats & I bet you he
will be eating out of your hand!

Old April 4th 04, 09:51 AM
Willows

Feral cats do not meow at you. What you are discribing is a once
friendly cat who has been through the hell of being a stray and no
longer trusts people. I'd trap the cat again bring him in and put him
in a cage.

Your vet is wrong as well 3 days isn't dangerous if he doesn't eat for a
week then worry but I'm sure in 4 to 5 days he'll be eating. Its just
such a huge shift for him coming in that it often takes time to them to
even want to eat. I doubt your vet has had many cats like this the
information he gave you makes sense for house cats but not for this type
of situation. I bet you'll find that in a few weeks this cat is showing
signs of trusting you and wanting to be petted.

I often get cats in that don't want to eat. I can't just put a rescue
cat back out into danger just because its not eating. We recently had a
pregnant feral we traped and where considering aborting and returning
when she hadn't eaten for 5 days on the 6th day she ate and has been
fine since.

Old April 4th 04, 04:50 PM
RedRiver35

Well, there is no telling what they did at
the vet's office after he bit them. They are probably okay foks, but I can't
watch them as they only take the animals back and not let the people into the
rooms like other vets do.

His cry is higher pitched and squeaky. H rubs agains the doorjam and the stick
I use to keep the door open. He may actually be living under the porch now.
I trapped him once. I don't know if he would be hungry enough or too trap wary
for it to work again. I will try putting some of the Bach's on his dry food
maybe. He seems to have a hard time eating wet food, hard for him to pick up.
We have a current infestation of hookworms, the cat next door had them also,
and he may have a tummy full of worms. We found out about the neighbor cat
last night. I will see if I can get a bottle of wormer tablets (I know thay
make them for dogs) for cats at PetsMart or something, and see if I can crumble
them up into the dry food. I do talk to him, and he will look at me and
sometimes acts like he is really trying to understand what I am saying. I
probably should not have let him go, but I was not sure what else to do with
him, and at the time I had a dominant cat whom I thought might try to bite him
or attack him. She is another story. I always seem to end up with two or
three kitties at a time. I have one under treatment for hookworm. And I have
a second who i am going to start on this afternoon.

Chelle

Old April 4th 04, 07:49 PM

In article ,
Willows wrote:

Feral cats do not meow at you. What you are discribing is a once
friendly cat who has been through the hell of being a stray and no
longer trusts people.

Agreed.