Swelling under tongue

Old August 10th 03, 12:09 AM
Cathy Friedmann

Aw, poor Caley - & you. I hope this gets resolved soon.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

"Priscilla Ballou" wrote in message
news
The prednisone helped for a while, but she's worse again tonight. She
wanted her dinner, but eating it caused too much discomfort. She only
lapped up a tiny bit of the pureed tuna I gave her.

I tried opening her mouth to look at the area which had been swollen,
but there's so much froth in there I couldn't see anything. I don't
know if the froth was from pureed tuna she hasn't swallowed or from all
the drool.

I called the Doctor who saw her Thursday, and she'll be in tomorrow
morning at 11:00. She's going to call me then. Guess I skip church
again this week. :-(

Poor Caley girl. She is my very special special kitty girl, and it
really scares me for her to be sick.

Priscilla

Old August 10th 03, 12:53 AM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
"Cathy Friedmann" wrote:

Aw, poor Caley - & you. I hope this gets resolved soon.

Thanks, Cathy!

Priscilla
Old August 10th 03, 12:53 AM
Priscilla Ballou

Old August 10th 03, 02:09 AM
Liz

I did a search for you and got this:

Species: Feline
Sign Keyword:
Signs: Excessive salivation, frothing at the mouth, ptyalism
Oral cavity, tongue swelling, mass in mouth
Mouth, oral mucosal or tongue pain

10 Possible Diagnoses

o Chronic feline gingivitis, stomatitis, gingivostomatitis
o Dieffenbachia, philodendron, aracea, poisoning in dogs and cats
o Eosinophilic granuloma, plaque, complex in cats
o Gingivitis in dogs and cats
o Lymphocytic, plasmacytic gingivitis, stomatitis, pharyngitis in cats
o Oral, mandibular, maxillary neoplasia, hamartoma
o Oral, pharyngeal, foreign body
o Periodontal disease in dogs and cats, periodontitis
o Tongue injury, infection, lingual abscesses
o Traumatic, irritant, chemical stomatitis, oral ulcers

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/consultan...-G751-D611-P10

There's a brief description of each. More urgent than finding out the
cause is to make sure she does not become dehydrated from her
reluctance in drinking. I imagine she can't drink at all with that
swelling. If she becomes dehydrated, take her in right away. Ask the
vet to teach you how to administer sub-Q fluids. To determine her
hydration status, pinch the skin on her neck gently. The skin should
place will do). I like the neck area of cats because they have more
skin there. If it doesn't, she's dehydrated. The longer it takes for
the skin to go back, the more dehydrated she is.

Old August 10th 03, 03:10 AM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
(Liz) wrote:

I did a search for you and got this:

Species: Feline
Sign Keyword:
Signs: Excessive salivation, frothing at the mouth, ptyalism
Oral cavity, tongue swelling, mass in mouth
Mouth, oral mucosal or tongue pain

10 Possible Diagnoses

o Chronic feline gingivitis, stomatitis, gingivostomatitis
o Dieffenbachia, philodendron, aracea, poisoning in dogs and cats
o Eosinophilic granuloma, plaque, complex in cats
o Gingivitis in dogs and cats
o Lymphocytic, plasmacytic gingivitis, stomatitis, pharyngitis in cats
o Oral, mandibular, maxillary neoplasia, hamartoma
o Oral, pharyngeal, foreign body
o Periodontal disease in dogs and cats, periodontitis
o Tongue injury, infection, lingual abscesses
o Traumatic, irritant, chemical stomatitis, oral ulcers

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/consultan...=Feline&dxkw=&
sxkw=mouth&signs=1-G751-D611-P10

There's a brief description of each. More urgent than finding out the
cause

Thanks, but we're pretty sure we know the cause -- trauma to the mouth.

is to make sure she does not become dehydrated from her
reluctance in drinking. I imagine she can't drink at all with that
swelling. If she becomes dehydrated, take her in right away. Ask the
vet to teach you how to administer sub-Q fluids. To determine her
hydration status, pinch the skin on her neck gently. The skin should
place will do). I like the neck area of cats because they have more
skin there. If it doesn't, she's dehydrated. The longer it takes for
the skin to go back, the more dehydrated she is.

I noticed her going into the shower stall and coming out again and
heading for the toilet, so I got her a saucer of fresh water and put it
down there for her. She drank some. I'm not sure why the regular water
bowl was rejected, but I'm happy to give her water anywhere she wants!
;-)

Priscilla

Old August 10th 03, 04:27 PM
Liz

Thanks, but we're pretty sure we know the cause -- trauma to the mouth.

Oops. Sorry, I missed that.