CRF - Speed of deterioration

Old August 8th 03, 10:14 PM
Toni from T.O.

Default CRF - Speed of deterioration

Hi again!

I posted earlier about my cat's extreme lethargy. My vet has ruled out
hemobartonella as a cause of Timothy's decline, and is now thinking that it
is probably kidney related. My question is, would it be unusual to see a
cat go from perky/chasing birds to practically immobile within *one* week if
the condition were CRF?

Thanks.

Toni

Old August 9th 03, 05:21 AM
Liz

In your earlier post I believe you wrote that blood tests and x-ray
did not reveal anything wrong with his kidneys - is that right? How is
the cat? Does he have a fever? Is he eating? Did you get the result
for bartonella? Is lethargy his only symptom? Problem with lethargy is
that it can be too many things. I don't like guessing games. If this
vet does not know what he has, why not try another vet? Is he getting
worse or is he stable? Are you giving him any meds at all?

Meanwhile, see if you find any cuts on his skin. It's not easy to see
cuts so give him a gentle massage to see if you feel any swollen or
hardened area on or under his skin. Check if he feels any pain as you
go.

Old August 9th 03, 08:05 AM
Toni from T.O.

"Liz" wrote in message
om...
In your earlier post I believe you wrote that blood tests and x-ray
did not reveal anything wrong with his kidneys - is that right?

He has one kidney much smaller than the other, with a possible stone. Plus
elevated urea and creatinine levels, though not critical.

How is
the cat? Does he have a fever?

No fever, not that I can feel anyway (his ears are cool)

Is he eating?

Yes, though I have to bring his food bowl to him.

Did you get the result
for bartonella?

It was negative. I found this out right after I picked up his prescription
for tetracycline! I have to say I was disappointed, that would have made
things more definite. The vet said his prognosis is guarded.

Is lethargy his only symptom?

He is also anemic...PCV of 20

Problem with lethargy is
that it can be too many things. I don't like guessing games. If this
vet does not know what he has, why not try another vet?

I do like this vet. He's investigating many avenues, talking to the people
in pathology. It may be that his kidney isn't releasing the hormone to
create red blood cells. They're going to culture his urine, if I can get
him to the vet before he has his morning visit to the litterbox (not likely,
since they only open at 10:00 am on a Saturday!)

Is he getting
worse or is he stable? Are you giving him any meds at all?

He seems pretty stable...there was some loud purring tonight (yay!), which I
haven't heard in a couple of days. I'm praying it's a reaction to the
vaccine. He looks fine, alert, he's just not moving.

Meanwhile, see if you find any cuts on his skin. It's not easy to see
cuts so give him a gentle massage to see if you feel any swollen or
hardened area on or under his skin. Check if he feels any pain as you
go.

he's kind of holding his right paw out at times. But if he had an
infection, wouldn't he have a fever?

Thanks for the input. It's nice to have somewhere to ask questions and get
support and feedback.

Toni

Old August 10th 03, 01:10 AM
Liz

He has one kidney much smaller than the other, with a possible stone. Plus
elevated urea and creatinine levels, though not critical.
He is also anemic...PCV of 20
I do like this vet. He's investigating many avenues, talking to the people
in pathology. It may be that his kidney isn't releasing the hormone to
create red blood cells. They're going to culture his urine, if I can get
him to the vet before he has his morning visit to the litterbox (not likely,
since they only open at 10:00 am on a Saturday!)
he's kind of holding his right paw out at times. But if he had an
infection, wouldn't he have a fever?
Toni

If his urea and creatine are elevated, it's a good idea to check his
blood pH. If the pH is low (7.8), you need to fix that urgently.
Lower blood pH causes protein catabolism (elevating urea) and bone
dissolution - probably interfering with production of new red blood
cells (anemia) and increasing mineral load on kidneys. Are his blood
levels of calcium and phosphorus within normal range? Most feeds today
are acidified to prevent struvites. So you'd need to switch him to a
neutral food like a kidney diet or a canned diet that is not acidified
(IMO, canned is a must for CRF, ARF (acute RF), or a cat with history
of uroliths). What are you feeding him now?

You did not mention if you are giving him any meds. Some meds can
cause ARF or anemia. Has he been holding out his right paw at times
since he became lethargic? Has the vet examined his paw or x-rayed it?
Does he limp when he walks? The lethargy may be primarily because of
the paw - he may be feeling more pain than he shows.

I found a very nice text discussing feline anemia and possible causes.
It's at
http://www.drpetra.com/Cats/Anemia%20in%20Cats.htm

I believe you took him in again today. Any news?

Old August 10th 03, 01:25 AM
Liz

No, not necessarily. A cat (or person) can have a severe infection and still
have a normal temp.

Absolutely. A friend of mine had pneumonia and didn't have a fever.
Old August 10th 03, 01:25 AM
Liz

Old August 10th 03, 02:23 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Liz" wrote in message
m...
No, not necessarily. A cat (or person) can have a severe infection and

still
have a normal temp.

Absolutely. A friend of mine had pneumonia and didn't have a fever.

There are a bunch of pneumonias, & as I understand it, there is one kind of
pneumonia which is not associated w/ a fever. However, most pneumonias are.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Brain fart (OT) Stacey Cat anecdotes 31 January 11th 04 09:22 PM
Does the vitamin E speed up the cat's heat? Sip Cat health & behaviour 22 July 30th 03 04:30 PM