Cat Vaccines can Lead to Cancer

Old June 30th 05, 01:12 AM

Default Cat Vaccines can Lead to Cancer

Did you know that VACCINATIONS, which we get to protect our cats, could
actually lead to CANCER? I had never heard of this until June 2002.

My 8-year-old cat, Jack, was diagnosed with Vaccination-Associated
Sarcoma (VAS) on June 25, 2002. He had rapidly growing tumors on his
shoulder. This cancer developed from a leukemia vaccination that he
received a year before. Our vet oncologist gave him 3 to 6 months to
live.

Rather than proceed with typical radiation, surgery, and chemotherapy
(which might prolong his life by a maximum of 2 years only), I decided
to let him live the rest of his life without that kind of discomfort.
Instead, I treated him with holistic treatments, including IP-6 and
Cansema.

By the end of October 2002, Jack's first tumor disappeared
completely. Unfortunately, by the end of 2002, another tumor arose. It
grew and grew and grew to become the size of a small melon. On
September 5, 2003, in some pain and lots of discomfort, Jack was put to
sleep.

In order to get the word out about this terrible disease, I created a
website that basically is just a web directory with links to
information about vaccination-associated sarcoma (VAS). I hope you will
visit it to learn more about VAS. I don't want anyone else to have to
go through what I went through.

The website is: http://catvaccines.misterlinks.com/

Thanks for listening,
Larry

Old June 30th 05, 02:27 AM

Did you know that VACCINATIONS, which we get to protect our cats, could
actually lead to CANCER?

Yes, a friend's cat died of a vaccination (FeLV; she was an
indoor/outside cat, so needed that vaccine) induced cancer on her
shoulder several years ago. Was diagnosed in '99, & died in 2000,
perhaps? That general time frame, at any rate. The news/realization
that this was happening had been made public relatively shortly before
she was diagnosed. Just after that, I heard that the protocol for
where the injections are given was changed. And then the general
protocol for vax changed, too - fewer vax are now recommended - only
the necessary ones for any given cat's life style/environment.

I'm sorry about your cat - sounds like a similar scenario to my
friend's cat.

Cathy

Old June 30th 05, 02:43 AM
Spot

I have a siamese mix who developed a giant cell tumor 8 weeks after at the
site of her 3 year rabies booster. Luckily I caught it in time and had a
wonderful vet who rushed the lab for the biopsy results. She ended up
loosing her back leg and has been doing great these last 4 years. She no
longer gets any vaccinations of any kind.

This did not however scare me away from getting my other two vaccinated.
My vet explained it's roughly 2 cats out of a 1000 that develop tumors from
vaccinations and even rarer that they get the type of tumor that Mushkins
had. Usually giant cell tumors occur in dogs.

Celeste

ups.com...

Old June 30th 05, 04:15 AM
Rhonda

Yep, we don't get Felv vaccines for our cats. They are indoors and low risk.

I have read that there are 2 types of Felv vaccines -- live virus or
killed virus. It's the killed virus that can cause cancer. There are
agents in the vaccine to activate the immune system, because the virus
vaccine is less potent. Those agents are the culprits.

The live virus vaccine has less (or no?) risk of cancer, but slightly
more risk of contracting Felv.

Rhonda

Old June 30th 05, 03:32 PM
Phil P.

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Yep, we don't get Felv vaccines for our cats. They are indoors and low

risk.

I have read that there are 2 types of Felv vaccines -- live virus or
killed virus.

FeLV vaccines are only available in recombinant, subunit, and inactivated
(killed) virus vaccines. There are no live FeLV or Rabies vaccines.

Old June 30th 05, 04:04 PM
PawsForThought

In order to get the word out about this terrible disease, I created a
website that basically is just a web directory with links to
information about vaccination-associated sarcoma (VAS). I hope you will
visit it to learn more about VAS. I don't want anyone else to have to
go through what I went through.

The website is:
http://catvaccines.misterlinks.com/

Thanks for listening,
Larry

Hi Larry,
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know now they've changed the protocol for
where the shot is administered (left leg for FelV and right for
rabies). That way if the animal gets cancer, they can amputate the leg
and hopefully get all the cancer I am going to visit your site.
Another site dedicated to VAS is www.catshots.com

Lauren

Old June 30th 05, 08:04 PM
Rhonda

Oops, I said "live" -- but meant "modified live". Anyway, the killed
virus is the one considered more likely to cause cancer at the site of
injection.

Rhonda

Old June 30th 05, 09:42 PM
Phil P.

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Oops, I said "live" -- but meant "modified live". Anyway, the killed
virus is the one considered more likely to cause cancer at the site of
injection.

No modified-live FeLV or Rabies vaccines, either; only recombinant, subunit,
and inactivated (killed) virus rabies and FeLV vaccines are available.
Modified-live rabies vaccines were discontinued (actually outlawed) in the
80s due to public health risks. Modified-live FeLV vaccines weren't
developed because retroviruses can integrate into the cat's genome and cause
disease months to years later.

But you are right about killed-virus vaccines being linked to cancer, i.e.,
vaccine-associated sarcomas. Killed virus vaccines have a low potency and
thus require a larger dose of antigen and also adjuvants to enhance the
antigenic response. Aluminum hydroxide and aluminum phosphate are two
adjuvants used in killed-virus vaccines that have been implicated in VAS
formation.

Merial Purevax vaccines don't contain adjuvants or whole live virus and thus
are the safest vaccines available.