Mad kitty!

Old October 27th 04, 07:45 AM
Jeanette

Marina wrote in message
Kreisleriana wrote:

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:20:14 +0100, "Exocat"
yodeled:

The most excruciatingly bad attempt at an English accent it's ever
been my misfortune to hear. Unfortunately. Ruined a great show for me.

Purrs

Gordon & the TT

That was the consensus from the show's English fans. Made me glad
I wasn't handicapped in that way-- they deprived themselves of a
absolutely hysterical comic performance.

Apparently, Daphne is just as phony.

Yeah, and she IS British isn't she? She's just hopeless at putting on a
Manchester accent. I was convinced that she was American until someone
assured me otherwise.

Jeanette

Old October 27th 04, 09:38 AM
O J

On 27 Oct , Sherry wrote:

---------------------snip----------------------
3. One son mentioned he'd like to get married at sunrise in California, with
the sun coming up over the ocean. (???!!!!)

Yes, people are supposed to know that the sun SETS in the west, but
there's a famous Hollywood story about that which may or may not be
true. It seems there was a director who wanted a shot of sunrise on
the beach. Some half-bright assistant reminded him that the sun sets
over the Pacific ocean, it doesn't rise.

"That's OK, replied the director, "we'll just run the film backward
and the sun will rise."

Cut to the screening room next day where the staff is screening the
dailies of the shooting of the "sunrise". Sure enough, there is the
sun rising over the California coastline --- and there are the ocean
waves rolling out to sea!

Regards and Purrs,
O J (Old John) Gritmon

Old October 27th 04, 03:20 PM
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:33:30 +1000, "Yowie"
yodeled:
Listening to my friend Alfred, an Australian born to Chinese parents, I am
always amazed how he can talk with his brothers in both Chinese and English
and neither he nor his brothers even notice when they've changed from one to
the other. To *my* ears it sounds like "blah blah blah blah, down to
Wollongong, turn right, blah blah blah blah, no worries, blah blah, Seeya".
I crack up each time, and htey have *no idea* that they've had half the
conversation in Cantonese and half the conversation in English, and are
often surprised that I didn't understand it all (since I don't speak
Cantonese at all). Alfred speaks in perfectly flawless Australian English
with no trace of accent, and perfectly flawless without a trace of accent
Cantonese. His parents, although speaking perfectly good and understandable
English, have a pronounced accent and have a noticably different speach
pattern than their sons. And they either speak entirely English or Entirely
Cantonese, they don't switch half way through a conversation without
noticing.

Yowie

My mom teaches third graders, who are the children of immigrants, and
notes the same thing constantly, to her amusement. It's also quite
interesting how accents get picked up-- my ex's family traveled
constantly between England and the Pacific, and almost every member of
the family had a slightly (or markedly) different accent.

Theresa

Old October 27th 04, 03:21 PM
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 05:36:44 +0300, Marina
yodeled:

Kreisleriana wrote:

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:20:14 +0100, "Exocat"
yodeled:

The most excruciatingly bad attempt at an English accent it's ever
been my misfortune to hear. Unfortunately. Ruined a great show for me.

Purrs

Gordon & the TT

That was the consensus from the show's English fans. Made me glad
I wasn't handicapped in that way-- they deprived themselves of a
absolutely hysterical comic performance.

Apparently, Daphne is just as phony.

Yeah, every once in awhile someone would complain about that. I
didn't care.

Theresa

My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM
A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM