Mad kitty!

Old October 28th 04, 02:51 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 02:00:11 GMT, O J wrote:

snip
I probably should know better, but I just found this one hard to
believe till I looked it up. It's not a rumor or an urban folktale.
Sad to say, it's true. For our international friends, New Mexico is
the name of one of our Southwestern states.

And New Mexico's capitol, Santa Fe, was a well extablished city when
the Pilgrims landed. IIRC, established around 1100 by Pueblo indians,
and a capitol city for a Spanish territory before the pilgrims landed.

Guess some people slept through American history, the Santa Fe Trail,
the Mexican-American War, when we pretty much stole the western states
from Mexico, the Gadsen Purchase, the Civil War, Billy the Kid and the
Lincoln County War, etc etc until NM became the the 47(?) state in the
early 1900s.

I know most people don't remember and care about these, admittedly,
trivial facts, but US geography and history has always been a hobby of
mine. I still find it amazing that people can go to school and, like
Sherry said, sometimes graduate with good grades.
snip
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Rocky (RB)

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:

Old October 28th 04, 02:51 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:51:41 +1000, "Yowie"
wrote:

Now a futon to me is specific type of sofa-bed. A futon lounge is like a
sofa-bed but instead of it having a nifty mechanical thing that hides under
the seat part until you need to use it, a futon lounge is the bed in its
entirity, the only difference being that inthe day, one side (if you divided
the bed from the head to the foot) is almost vertical and is used as the
back rest, and at night the side that was upright goes back down to
horizontal. There mattress itseld folds when the base does, so there are no
seperate cushions or back rests.

yes, and to me a futon is usually much easier to sleep on, since most
of the sofa meds I've slept on are too soft. Usually they have a bar,
part of the mechanism which allows it to fold into the couch, which
seems to hit you in the back when you try to sleep.

Old October 28th 04, 06:39 AM
Yoj

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:38:49 GMT, "Yoj"
wrote:

My mother, who lives in Alaska, runs into a similar problem
occasionally. She'll try to order something, only to be told that it
can't be shipped out of the United States.

As far as I know, in the Army you still get the same overseas pay for
being stationed in Alaska as you do stationed in Korea. IIRC, we used
to get a whopping $9 when I was in Fairbanks in the late 70's - almost
enough to cover the cost for one person to eat at the local Dairy
Queen. My first trip off post I stopped in the Dairy Queen and
couldn't pay for a shake, cheeseburger and fries with the $10 I had on
me - had to settle for Dr Pepper instead of the shake. About half way
through my time there McDonalds opened a resturant there (price for a
Big Mac 5 cents more than in the lower 48). For awhile, it was the
busiest McDonalds in the world, with lines out the door whenever you
went there.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Rocky (RB)

I can imagine! Everything is a lot higher up there. My mother's town
doesn't have a McDonald's, but they do have a Subway. I don't know for
how long, though. A lot of businesses are going belly-up. :-(

Joy

Old October 28th 04, 10:18 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 05:39:24 GMT, "Yoj"
wrote:

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Well, I was there during the boom while they were building the
pipeline. I was actually looking for a payphone on that first trip
downtown, so I could call home and tell them I had arrived safely.
Later I learned that the boom had overwhelmed the phone system, so
they had removed all the handsets from the pay phones. The only pay
phone I found in the 18 months I was there was in the bowling alley on
post.

My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM
A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM