First cloned cat delivered

Old December 25th 04, 10:32 AM
Adrian

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
On 2004-12-23, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) penned:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

The fact that so many people don't understand cloning really bugs
me. It's really "twinning," just done with human interference
instead of occuring naturally, but people act like there are issues
about their souls, about personality, etc. Clones will be just as
similar as "identical" twins, which is to say, some will be quite
similar and some will not.

As I understand it, "identical" twins are the result of a single egg
splitting and becoming two embryos AFTER fertilization - meaning
that they both have identical heredity. That cannot possibly be the
case when an adult's DNA has been implanted into an unrelated egg,
can it?

Ummm drat ...

Doesn't cloning use a "blank" egg?

I'll have to do some research =/ I'm pretty sure that a clone's
genes will have the same range of possibilities as a twin's would,
but I can't recall the research I did in deciding that.

Wouldn't the clone inherit mitochodnria (sp) from the donor egg?
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old December 25th 04, 10:41 AM
Adrian

Pat wrote:
California company sells cloned cat, generating ethics debate
- PAUL ELIAS, AP Biotechnology Writer
Wednesday, December 22, 2004

snip

The woman and the kitten were on the CBS evening news tonight!

I really hope this kitten has a normal healthy life, but I very much
doubt that it will.

Old December 25th 04, 07:03 PM
Seanette Blaylock

"Adrian" had some very interesting things to say
about First cloned cat delivered:

Wouldn't the clone inherit mitochodnria (sp) from the donor egg?

I think that would be mitichlorians. [gd&r]

Old December 25th 04, 07:10 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 11:03:03 -0800, Seanette Blaylock
yodeled:

"Adrian" had some very interesting things to say
about First cloned cat delivered:

Wouldn't the clone inherit mitochodnria (sp) from the donor egg?

I think that would be mitichlorians. [gd&r]

Wasn't that a very expecsive car in the '8os? :P

Theresa
Old December 25th 04, 07:52 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

John F. Eldredge wrote:

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 21:05:23 GMT, "Jeanette"
wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote in
message ...

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Ummm drat ...

Doesn't cloning use a "blank" egg?

IS there such a thing? To be viable at all, wouldn't it
have to retain the mother's DNA?

No, the 'clonee's DNA is inserted into the egg. But there is such a
thing as 'mitochondrial DNA' which is present in egg cells, which
has an influence too.

Jeanette (not as well up on cloning as I used to be)

As I understand the process, the egg's nucleus is removed and
replaced with the nucleus from the clonee's cell. As Jeanette said,
though, not all DNA is in the nucleus. I don't know just what the
mitochondrial DNA, as distinct from the nuclear DNA, controls.

Do the "cloners" know, either? Science knows a great deal
more about the subject than it did even ten years ago, but
SFAIK, it still has volumes to learn!

Old December 26th 04, 12:00 AM

Adrian wrote:

Wouldn't the clone inherit mitochodnria (sp) from the donor egg?

Yes, which is why some people said that they weren't sure of the effect
of mitochondrial DNA on cloning. But that would make a clone different
from an identical twin, for sure.

Joyce