[OT] Splenda?

Old May 20th 05, 12:05 AM
---MIKE---

I use Splenda in tea. I tried it in coffee but it ruined the flavor of
the coffee for some reason. The one that was taken off the market was
Sucaral. Equal, to me, has a bad aftertaste. I think I will go back to
plain sugar!

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old May 20th 05, 12:32 AM
Annie Wxill

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Has anyone here heard of anyone having problems with Splenda (Sucralose)?

Hugs,
CatNipped

No experience with Splenda. We use Stevia drops to sweeten drinks. It also
comes in a granular form. It is sweeter than sugar. It only takes a drop
for a cup of iced tea. A dropper will sweeten a gallon.
Look it up and check it out.
Annie

Old May 20th 05, 12:50 AM
Noon Cat Nick

Hopitus wrote:

Sadly, after my DIL showed me stevia I began using it
last summer..in a couple months it gave me the exact same reaction as
Splenda does (but w/worse ab cramps). So (grrrrr) I went back to Equal,
which I use as little as possible.

Some people are known to have a stevia allergy or intolerance. As well,
the extract in powdered form is mixed with maltodextrin to prevent
clumping, and some folks might also react badly to that. SlimSweet and
xylitol might be better options.
Old May 20th 05, 02:00 AM
Jo Firey

"CatNipped" wrote in message

I've been having a problem with, um, "excessive internal aeration" lately,
and I eat *lots* of Splenda because I drink *lots* of coffee with it and
since I hate the taste of coffee I put about 6 or 7 packets of Splenda in
each cup. Well, OK, coffee is made from beans and beans have been known
to cause this problem, so am I just full of hot air??? ;

OK that's different. That is entirely too much Splenda for anyone to be
consuming. I use one packet every morning for two cups of coffee. I may
use another with fruit or something during the day. One packet will sweeten
a pint of strawberries.

I've been off and on the South Beach diet, and it pretty much OK's Splenda
and other sweeteners, but in moderation (something like no more than 4 packs
a day). In part because eating something sweet sets off a craving for
sweets and partly because more than that can easily cause indigestion.

If you are drinking many cups of coffee with five or six packets each, its a
wonder your digestive system hasn't gone into total rebellion. Even if just
from the coffee.

Some experience here. Found out while I was in college that a steady diet
of coffee and sweetrolls will land me in the hospital for a week with acute
gastroenteritis, followed by many years of problems.

Jo

Old May 20th 05, 03:33 AM
W. Leong

You may want to try Stevia if you only want something for your coffee.
It is a herb used for sweetening and is available in health food store.
It comes in small leaves like tea or in powder form.
I used to add it to tea but now I usually drink my tea straight.

Winnie

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Has anyone here heard of anyone having problems with Splenda (Sucralose)?
I've been using it and I like the taste, but then decided to do a web
search on "Splenda Dangers" and got more info than I'd bargained for. Of
course there's all kind of panic-making misinformation to be had on the
web, so some of it is sure to hit home when they start talking about the
medical problems it causes. I'm trying to find out from anyone who may
have had personal experience with it or knows someone who has. Anyone?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old May 20th 05, 03:33 AM
badwilson

CatNipped wrote:
Has anyone here heard of anyone having problems with Splenda
(Sucralose)? I've been using it and I like the taste, but then
decided to do a web search on "Splenda Dangers" and got more info
than I'd bargained for. Of course there's all kind of panic-making
misinformation to be had on the web, so some of it is sure to hit
home when they start talking about the medical problems it causes.
I'm trying to find out from anyone who may have had personal
experience with it or knows someone who has. Anyone?

I use it all the time and so do most of my friends and I've never
heard of anyone having a problem. I also like and use Stevia, it's
much sweeter than Splenda and 1 packet sweetens 2 litres. You can't
bake with it though, but then again, I don't bake.
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown

Old May 20th 05, 03:38 AM
badwilson

CatNipped wrote:

I've been having a problem with, um, "excessive internal aeration"
lately, and I eat *lots* of Splenda because I drink *lots* of coffee
with it and since I hate the taste of coffee I put about 6 or 7
packets of Splenda in each cup. Well, OK, coffee is made from beans
and beans have been known to cause this problem, so am I just full

of
hot air??? ;

Whoa! I think you're OD'ing on the stuff. 6 or 7 packets in each
cup?!?!? If you hate coffee that much drink something else. 1/2 a
packet per cup of coffee is plenty, 1 packet for a large mug.

Old May 20th 05, 03:49 AM
pmendhall

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Mostly, like I told Victor, availability. There's *always* a pot of

coffee
brewing at home and especially at work, but never the makings for tea.

I'm
going to try and change that at the new office, though.

I can't stand the taste of coffee, but love the smell. I actually bring in
tea bags and make myself a cup of tea. With the ever present pot of coffee,
there usually a healthy supply of water. If you prefer your tea iced, there
are usually ice machines. With bringing your own supply of tea, you can
purchase what you like and can afford. I don't really care for liptons
which is what the company used to stock before cost cutting measures were
put in place.

The other thing is hot coco, or iced coco.

Good luck.

Old May 20th 05, 05:08 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"CatNipped" had some very interesting things
to say about [OT] Splenda?:

Has anyone here heard of anyone having problems with Splenda (Sucralose)?
I've been using it and I like the taste, but then decided to do a web search
on "Splenda Dangers" and got more info than I'd bargained for. Of course
there's all kind of panic-making misinformation to be had on the web, so
some of it is sure to hit home when they start talking about the medical
problems it causes. I'm trying to find out from anyone who may have had
personal experience with it or knows someone who has. Anyone?

AFAICT, DH has no trouble with it at all (he's diabetic, so has
checked out a rather wide range of available artificial sweeteners).

Old May 20th 05, 05:09 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"CatNipped" had some very interesting things
to say about Correction [OT] Splenda?:

Well, one of the reasons I asked was because of the intestinal problems I've
been reading about (not to mention the effects on animal testing: Shrunken
thymus glands (up to 40% shrinkage), Enlarged liver and kidneys, Atrophy of
lymph follicles in the spleen and thymus, Increased cecal weight, Reduced
growth rate, Decreased red blood cell count, Hyperplasia of the pelvis,
Extension of the pregnancy period, Aborted pregnancy, Decreased fetal body
weights and placental weights, and Diarrhea I've seen mentioned on numerous
sites).

Would those animal tests by chance involve vastly exaggerated dosages?
:-)