[ot] Space Shuttle Launch!

Old July 26th 05, 04:04 PM
Jeanne Hedge

Default [ot] Space Shuttle Launch!

So as to better monitor any debris striking the space shuttle on
launch (which is what ultimately caused the Columbia disaster), NASA
installed a whole bunch of cameras outside the shuttle.

OMG, WHAT *COOL* IMAGES!!!

Here's the one you're going to see over and over again -

One camera was mounted between the bottom of the shuttle and that big
orange fuel tank. It kept transmitting long after the experts thought
it would cut out. As a result, TV viewers got to follow the launch all
the way to after that tank's seperation - and see a round earth, and
see the shuttle itself fly away from the tank.

It was just so cool for this space-era baby (born post-Sputnik)

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com

Old July 26th 05, 05:40 PM
Charleen Welton

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message
So as to better monitor any debris striking the space shuttle on
launch (which is what ultimately caused the Columbia disaster), NASA
installed a whole bunch of cameras outside the shuttle.

OMG, WHAT *COOL* IMAGES!!!

Here's the one you're going to see over and over again -

One camera was mounted between the bottom of the shuttle and that big
orange fuel tank. It kept transmitting long after the experts thought
it would cut out. As a result, TV viewers got to follow the launch all
the way to after that tank's seperation - and see a round earth, and
see the shuttle itself fly away from the tank.

It was just so cool for this space-era baby (born post-Sputnik

Launches are just so excellent! I am sooo lucky. I live in Central
Florida, 60 miles from the Space Center. My husband and I have seen most of
the launches, some as guests of employees as close as the public is allowed
to the Shuttle. Other times on the roof of DH parents house, about 8 miles
away. Today, we were watching on TV, when the Shuttle lifted off we stepped
outside and watched travel upward so beautifully. Godspeed!
Charleen

Old July 26th 05, 06:14 PM
Alison

"Charleen Welton" wrote in message
. ..

"
Launches are just so excellent! I am sooo lucky. I live in Central
Florida, 60 miles from the Space Center. My husband and I have seen

most of
the launches, some as guests of employees as close as the public is

allowed
to the Shuttle. Other times on the roof of DH parents house, about

8 miles
away. Today, we were watching on TV, when the Shuttle lifted off we

stepped
outside and watched travel upward so beautifully. Godspeed!
Charleen

Godspeed and safe return.
Alison

Old July 27th 05, 12:34 AM
Denise Clere

i thought that was neat too,it was also the 1st launch my 5 1/2 y.o son
saw,we had just gone to KSC 2 wks. before & i got a pic of the shuttle .

Old July 27th 05, 10:07 PM
Jeanne Hedge

(edited from original to put messages into order)

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message
.. .

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:17:38 -0500, "Karen"
wrote:

So as to better monitor any debris striking the space shuttle on
launch (which is what ultimately caused the Columbia disaster), NASA
installed a whole bunch of cameras outside the shuttle.

OMG, WHAT *COOL* IMAGES!!!

Here's the one you're going to see over and over again -

One camera was mounted between the bottom of the shuttle and that big
orange fuel tank. It kept transmitting long after the experts thought
it would cut out. As a result, TV viewers got to follow the launch all
the way to after that tank's seperation - and see a round earth, and
see the shuttle itself fly away from the tank.

Oo. ARe they anywhere online yet??

There's a short RealPlayer video clip currently at

http://www.nasa.gov/returntoflight/main/index.html

You're after the video of the jettison of the external fuel tank. The
image they have "advertising" this clip is much more representative of
what we got to see on live TV, but this short clip is ok too. (of
course, your connection will affect the clip. I had to play it several
times, it kept cutting in and out and was jerky -- there's more video
to come after the screen static about half-way through the clip)

I'm already looking for wallpaper versions.

There's also one of the Solid Rocket Boosters separating, shot from
the same camera that's pretty cool too (I think this is the one
with the "debris" that they've been showing on the news)

btw - did you see the image of the launch a weather satellite picked
up? They were showing it on The Weather Channel this morning. Florida,
with the space shuttle's contrail

Old July 27th 05, 10:33 PM
Adrian

wrote:

[...]

The only video I found was the shots from the chase plane.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old July 28th 05, 02:12 AM
Jeanne Hedge

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 22:33:42 +0100, "Adrian" wrote:

Jeanne Hedge wrote:

There's a short RealPlayer video clip currently at

http://www.nasa.gov/returntoflight/main/index.html

You're after the video of the jettison of the external fuel tank. The
image they have "advertising" this clip is much more representative of
what we got to see on live TV, but this short clip is ok too. (of
course, your connection will affect the clip. I had to play it several
times, it kept cutting in and out and was jerky -- there's more video
to come after the screen static about half-way through the clip)

The only video I found was the shots from the chase plane.

As I type this, it's on the right side of the screen, in the column
headed "Related Multimedia". "WB-57 Chase Plane Video" is the first
item in the column, then "NASA TV" followed by "Discovery Launches!".
The one I referred to is the next one in the column, titled "What a
View!" (next after that is a video clip of SRB Separation, and then a
link to their archives).

Old July 28th 05, 10:08 AM
Adrian

Jeanne Hedge wrote:

[...]