O'Molley-Hercules & Xena....pls, wish us luck! (Long)

Old July 13th 03, 09:26 AM
Andr0meda

A new update:
Everybody is safe.
Xena still tends to keep vigil under the bathroom door, and it's not a
friendly intervention.
But she is calmer now, and not so aggressive towards me.
O'Malley my mini-Hercules is fine, just can't understand why he has to stay
inside. He accepted me, but wants more of my company.
it would help if he didn't get vocal after my brief visits to the bathroom.
Well, there is slight progress, at least on part of Xena.
neither of them used the toilet or ate yet, apart from the yummy treats
which both accept.
I hope you don't get tired of my frequent posts.
Tomorrow will be a real trial, with me going to work for almost 10 hours.
I just hope they won't yell too much abuse at each other while I am away.
Andr0

Old July 16th 03, 01:00 AM
Andr0meda

We do have a set-back
I was confident that Xena stopped hissing and carrying on when confronted by
O'Malleys scent. So, this morning I picked him up, patted him, and then went
and without washing my hands tried the same with Xena. No luck
Hissing, growling, even some patting with her paw at me. But no real attack.
On the other hand O'Malley is so hungry for attention, he just can't take
being in the bathroom any more......
This morning he threw a real tantrum when I was in the shower, he actually
jumped on top of it from the toilet tank and I had to catch him or else he
might slip and fall 2 metres to the tiled floor.
His screams scared Xena so badly, that she hid in my bed under covers.
She is basically OK with all this since he is not (for now) claiming any
territory and as long as I don't touch him.
Maybe I should avoid contact with O'Malley; it makes him want more attention
once he gets any. Move him to the other bathroom that I don't use and limit
my visits there to feeding and cleaning.
But, would that help? Only prolong the pain I guess, since Xena just won't
accept me patting him at all.
Should I simply let them meet and sort it out?
I am going to the Vet's shortly to collect some Feliway, and I also ordered
a remedy from a Holistic Vet which I should have by Friday.
Please keep wishing us luck.
Andr0 and 2 cats

--

"Andr0meda" wrote in message
Hi All,
on Tuesday night
They are both alive and seemingly happy.

Old July 16th 03, 01:47 AM
Cheryl

"Andr0meda" wrote in message
We do have a set-back

Maybe I should avoid contact with O'Malley; it makes him want more

attention
once he gets any. Move him to the other bathroom that I don't use

and limit
my visits there to feeding and cleaning.

It's understandable about the setback. I hope that Megan or someone
can offer something but I don't think that denying O'Malley the Herc
attention will help everyone in the long run, and the poor boy needs
attention as much as Xena does. Hang in there... I'm sure it will
all work out. It hasn't been that long.

Old July 16th 03, 01:47 AM
Cheryl

We do have a set-back

Old July 16th 03, 09:20 AM
MaryL

"Andr0meda" wrote in message
Thank you
I got the Feliway and our Vet says that I should introduce the cats over

the
next weekend, since it doesn't look like my method works for them.
Hopefully Feliway will calm both down until then.
Dr Raoul says that I should pick up Xena and let Hercules out; they will
fight but I should let them sort it all out themselves.
I will hang in there as you say; it's only 3 more days till the weekend.
Regards,
Andr0 at work

I don't agree with what your vet said. I think this is much too soon to try
to start the introduction. Megan contacted me and asked if I would send you
the information I put together concerning Duffy and Holly, and I am going to
do that. I'll send it to your e-mail address tonight. In brief: Your
situation does sound very much like the one I faced. Holly seemed to hate
all other cats, and she would viciously attack them. I was sure that it
would be fruitless to try to adopt another cat. When I saw the picture of
Duffy (my blind kitty) on PetFinders, Megan offered to walk me through the
process if I would adopt Duffy. She assured me that it could be done. But
I want to emphasize this point -- take it very slow. We took a full 6 weeks
before Holly and Duffy were ready to be left alone together, but it was well
worth the time and care. They are both wonderful companions, and now they
get along beautifully. People who knew Holly in the past just can't believe
the difference. As I said, I will forward the information to you. I also
want to strongly suggest that you accept Megan's offer of help. She is a
true storehouse of knowledge in this area, and she will be very generous
with her time.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
integration into our household):
Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56