Personality Change and cat food brand

Old October 28th 05, 08:02 PM
Bridget

Default Personality Change and cat food brand

At a budget crunch time, I decided to switch the cats kibble from
Science Diet to Purina Cat Chow. Amazing all the cats ate it -
including Mr Finicky, Tony himself. I don't have a problem with Purina,
they do a lot of research into what they put into their foods and are
the leading food provider for many animals, but I wouldn't have gone any
further downhill.

So I have gone through almost two bags, Mattie Marie has lost her
chunkieness, I'm happy, Mr Finicky has lost his extra weight from eating
kitten kibble for three years (once he started it and I had kittens, he
wouldn't give it up. He would go on starvation diets if I gave him
regular Science Diet - Little sh&t - I bought a lot of unnessary kitten
Science diet which is more expensive). I just bought the next bag of
Purina cat chow. So I am set for food for two months.

And I realize that Tony is being obnoxious. It has worked itself up
gradually, so I haven't realized. He only acts obnoxious when he is
hungry. I do a really thorough physical on him. You guys know the one.
Where you touvch every where and I realize I haven't done one for a
while on him. All of his fat is gone. Every bit of it. Not an ounce
on him any where. Even that pocket of reserves that all cats keep
between their back legs about the size of a pecan on both sides. Gone.
He isn't skin and bones yet - I'd have noticed that. But it does
explain why he won't let me sleep at night and why he is being a brat
all the time instead of just laying there and sleeping like a good cat
and playing everying once in a while. I realize what this means. It
means the end of cheap cat food. Even if I do have enough to last two
months. Tony is not thriving. He needs his Science Diet Back. He is
hungry. He can't get enough to eat on the Purina.

I go to the store and extract the proper amount of blood from my
checking account and bring home one bag of cat food. He changes
instantly. He eats his fill immediately, takes a long nap, eats again,
naps again. He didn't ask for the canned food I had been giving him
until I could get to the grocery store - before, everytime I went to the
kitchen he was telling me I needed to give him some, He let me sleep all
night, did not get into any mischief. I have resigned myself that I
will be buying expensive cat food as long as I have cats, or at least as
long as I have Tony. I did similar physicals on the other two cats and
they are doing fine. But at 11 years old, Tony may have another good 10
years left on him and I have resigned myself.He can/will eat one brand
of cat food. Canned food is different - as long as it is pate kind, he
will gladly snarf anything you put on his plate.

I will be glad when he gets his little fat pockets back. Not big ones,
but the healthy ones he is supposed to have.

Old October 29th 05, 03:47 AM
badwilson

Poor Tony.
I went through something like this with Vino a while back. He was
losing weight and not eating his Iams kibble. I feed him canned in
the morning and at night, but it's not enough and he needs to snack on
kibble during the day.
I finally realized that the kibble was really old and he'd been eating
the same flavour for way too long, so he was sick of it. So I dumped
the old food out by the side of the road for the strays. No takers
and then a dog laid a big log on it during the night.
No wonder Vino wasn't eating it, it was probably seriously stale! I
opened a new bag which Vino loved and he chunked up again immediately.
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown

Old October 29th 05, 03:47 PM
Bill Stock

"Bridget" wrote in message
[...]

Smokey loves the stuff, she won't eat anything else. She even goes off her
food when we start a new bag. But we do find that she eats more of this
stuff than the other cats eat of their food. I don't know if it has more
filler? We've tried to switch her several times, but she still loves her
crappy food. The vet calls this stuff MacDonalds. Smokey is getting very
fluffy at the moment, but she's an indoor only kitty.