[OT] I dare you all...

Old February 15th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

Default I dare you all...

"Pat" wrote in message
et...

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it
is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being
self-evident." -Arthur
Schopenhauer

In all fairness, truth isn't the only thing that passes through those three
stages.

For that matter not all truth passes through them.

Jo

Old February 15th 07, 10:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
-L.

Pat wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote

| Anticipating being called a troll is akin to being paranoid in my book.

Let me put it another way. I don't give a crap if you call me a troll, I
expect you will and it makes no difference, the issue is one that I care
about, I don't give a crap about PETA and it makes no difference to me if
it's Dick Cheney or Margaret Thatcher or Bozo the Clown or Jerry Falwell or
Ben Franklin doing the narration on a video, the content is what counts -
that is, the words and the moving and/or still pictures. They tell the
story. Now please, go have a double cheeseburger with bacon and a huge
milkshake and super-size-me fries and apple pie, then stick your head back
into your ass and leave me alone.

Gotta be one of the best responses to Princess Jilly I have read in
years. Bravo!
What did you expect? Nothing matters to The Princess except herself.
She probably ****ing wears fur. (Bought with Daddy's money, of
course...)

-L.

Old February 15th 07, 10:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
-L.

Sherry wrote:

Oh, I'm not bothered at all by animals raised for food. Or eating
meat. I just wish there were more controls for the welfare of the
animal itself. In the meat industry there's such a concern about the
method of execution being such that the animal's heart continue to
beat so the carcass will bleed well. Driving stakes into the head to
deliver an electric charge is one method I believe.

Captive bolt gun is the method most slaughter houses use. The problem
is the slaughter houses (processing speeds) were deregulated in 1980's
so that the number of animals that pass through the line per hour is
so ridiculously high that many animals don't get stunned adequately
before being hung by their hind legs and having their throats slit (in
the case of cattle and swine). The conditions under which the
animals are held in the stock yards are also a problem. Many get lame/
develop infections merely from standing in **** waiting to be killed.

Sometimes the
animal regains consciousness before it actually dies. It isn't like it
used to be "back on the farm" that Matthew refers to. Those concerned
with the animal's suffering want the death to be quick and painless.
Those concerned with meat production want the process to benefit the
economics of the industry and quality of the steaks.
I kind of wish there were an agency whose job it was to oversee the
process as an advocate for the animal.

The USDA is supposed to but it is a good-ole-boy system. They call
the slaughter houses ahead and tell them when to expect an
inspection. They are supposed to inspect on a schedule but they are
so understaffed, most slaughter houses are only inspected one-fith as
often as they are supposed to be. I won't go into detail on how the
regs for dealing with tainted meat were changed....

But then, that's more
bureaucracy, more red tape, more expense to the consumer so it will
probably never happen. I don't know what the answer is.
I'm not criticizing anyone who lieks to eat meat. Not at all. I don't
think anyone here is. Just the needless suffering of the animal.

Of course. But there are choices one can make to ensure the animals
they eat are raised and salughtered humanely. You have to be an
educated consumer, and you have to ask questions. Most people are too
lazy and/or are hypocritical in that they won't follow their words
with actions. Sure, they pretend to be animal advocates, but they
aren't, really.

And, yes Tweed! I did have a bull for a pet. I was about 13 years old.
It was an orphan and I rasied it on a bottle. He grew into a 1300-lb.
Charolais bull named Whitey. He would still knock me down if he saw a
bottle or a bucket in my hand.

You *have to* read "She Got Up Off the Couch..." by Haven Kimmel.
Hilarious chaper about some kids and a bull. You'd love it. Read "A
Girl Named Zippy" first, though. It's the first book in the series
(non-fiction, memoirs).

Drop me a note sometime. I'm not reading ngs much these days - too
much other stuff going one.

-L.

Old February 15th 07, 12:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

No cluons were harmed when Jo Firey wrote:
In all fairness, truth isn't the only thing that passes through
those three stages.

Aaaack! You owe me a new keyboard. My first thought was "Alimentary, my
dear Watson." (big, evil grin), and I very nearly choked on my soda...

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old February 15th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

This thread's gone straight in the toilet and frankly I'm surprised at
a lot of people here.

Is it that hard to simply /listen/ to something, even if you don't
agree with it?

Is it that hard to express disagreement without namecalling, personal
attacks, or swearing?

Is it that hard to express an opinion without insinuating that those
who don't share it are "bad"?

Is it that hard to simply walk away from something that's going
nowhere good? That's what I'm doing as of this post.

What's happened to us? This isn't the rpca I remember.

--Fil

Old February 15th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Mark Edwards" wrote in message
No cluons were harmed when Jo Firey wrote:
In all fairness, truth isn't the only thing that passes through
those three stages.

Aaaack! You owe me a new keyboard. My first thought was "Alimentary, my
dear Watson." (big, evil grin), and I very nearly choked on my soda...

No we're even. I'm sitting here sputtering coffee all over my shirt.

Jo

Old February 15th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Ketzl's Dad wrote:

If you truly want to be happy in life, prostrate yourself seven times a day
in a North-to-South direction for a period of twenty minutes, audibly
chanting the name of the Goddess Concordia. Complete this devotion with
fifteen minutes squatting and clucking like a chicken. Only this way will
you be truly happy. Learn! Evolve! Grow!

Did you even need to post this? Isn't it self-evident?

Joyce
Old February 16th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Enfilade wrote:
This thread's gone straight in the toilet and frankly I'm surprised at
a lot of people here.

Is it that hard to simply /listen/ to something, even if you don't
agree with it?

Is it that hard to express disagreement without namecalling, personal
attacks, or swearing?

Is it that hard to express an opinion without insinuating that those
who don't share it are "bad"?

Is it that hard to simply walk away from something that's going
nowhere good? That's what I'm doing as of this post.

What's happened to us? This isn't the rpca I remember.

Well said, Fil!

Pics at http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o185/frankiennikki/
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/
http://community.webshots.com/user/frankiennikki
Old February 16th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default [OT] I dare you all...

"Pat" wrote in message
et...

"Christina Websell" wrote

| "Pat" wrote

| And I had this crazy idea that you were a poultry farmer!
|

| No, not in the meat-type way. I keep rare breed and heritage chickens
in
| the hope that they won't die out and sell fertile eggs to those people
who
| share my views.

Well if you have the space and like to eat chicken, why not raise a few
for
your own consumption? Wouldn't that be cheaper than buying even the
mass-produced kind? And you would know the quality was good, and that the
birds never suffered.

If I had a country place I think I would keep some chickens as pets. I do
like to eat chicken but I just can't imagine myself killing them to eat. I
*can* imagine killing a wild turkey once a year rather than buying a
free-range turkey from the store for Thanksgiving dinner. There's no
better
tasting meat than a wild bird.

Rare breed chickens such as I keep have no meat on them whatsover, they are
allowed to die of old age. Maybe aged 10 or 12.
I don't keep meat chickens who are so obese that they cannot stand up on
their legs by eight weeks of age. I would be ashamed if I did.
This is not to say that we shouldn't eat chickens, lamb, beef or pork. Act
according to your conscience

Tweed

Do I dare? jmcquown Cat anecdotes 18 October 19th 06 12:00 AM
[OT] [OT] Now I've seen it all.... Pat Cat anecdotes 24 August 1st 06 12:41 PM
[OT] Pup Shoots Man... Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 3 September 10th 04 07:16 AM
[OT] Purrs for Russian kids Yowie Cat anecdotes 46 September 6th 04 12:57 AM
How DARE you!!!!!!! Mischief Cat anecdotes 153 June 24th 04 01:50 AM