Cat Using toilet and toilet paper

Old September 17th 09, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

Default Human Litterboxes (was Cat Using toilet and toilet paper)

"Yowie" wrote in news:7he2pjF2srrbiU1
@mid.individual.net:

To be fair, its often the only place in the house where you can remained
'unbothered' for a few moments. Unless you have cats or young kids, of
course.

In which case, I can imagine installing a second toilet just for
meditation. I know I sure enjoy my reading room.

The American father's solution is (at least historically, in my experience)
to disappear to the local pub. That was my dad's solution. (And I sure
don't fault him for it! Even though that and smoking ultimately killed him
in his 50's from heart and lung disease.) If dad's playing a video game,
leave him alone and thank the Powers that he's not off at the pub. One of
my brothers sure gets no peace from his wife. (The other has a saint for a
wife, and I can't figure out how he lucked out getting her.)
Old September 17th 09, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

Default Brash personalities (was: Airport security)

"Yowie" wrote in
:

I've had a crush on Penn for years - he's smart, he's funny, he's a
'bad boy', outspoken as all hell, and he's tall & solid. My sorta guy.
I'd love to have him as a guest for a dinner party. No doubt we'd
argue as much as we'd agree, but the conversation would be sizzling,
I'm sure.

LOL, I find more reasons to like you everyday.

Have you ever listened to Linus Torvalds, author of Linux? He's not tall
but he's similarly brash. I don't always agree with him but he's very
entertaining to listen to. Like in this presentation where he visits Google
and insults their revision control team while selling his own system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8

Here's the impressions of someone after watching the video:

http://www.steinbeck-molecular.de/st...8/26/linus-on-
git-on-google-techtalks/

Another guy I love to listen to is Scott Adams, author of Dilbert. I've
seen him talk at keynotes at a couple of trade shows. Not as in-your-face
as Penn and Linus, but as a humorist and ex-"victim of management" he's
great at skewering the powerful.
Old September 17th 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default Cussing (was: Human Litterboxes)

"ScratchMonkey" wrote in
message .. .
"Yowie" wrote in
:

I'd never heard of anyone being discreet about toilet paper until
joined Usenet - it seems only to be Americans that tend not to
say the
full words. Don't know why.

The same reason many other words (ie. "swear" words, and Carlin's
"seven")
aren't used in public: It's a class thing. Middle class people
want to look
upper class and NOT look lower class, so they don't use "vulgar"
(ie.
common) language. Americans are particularly vulnerable to this
inferiority
complex, and I think mothers most of all (because they want their
kids to
aspire to be upper class).

My mother had no problem swearing up a storm, but woe if I dared
to let
loose such a word. Of course, once she was out of ear shot, I
could tell
all my friends all about my rich vocabulary that I learned *from
her*.

I don't see any problem with that. I don't think it matters so much
what language someone uses and that they have a conscious choice as
to use.

My mother tolerated swearing from adults around her (my dad's
cousin, best friend, and business partner had the foulest mouth I've
ever heard in my life and never edited) but would skin you alive if
you were one of her kids. So at least we grew up knowing we were
saying something vulgar or uncouth it we chose to do so. Same with
my own kids. Better not be in swatting distance.

Mom was the same with grammar. I got through more than one exam
based on "how would my mother say it?"

Why would anyone chose to raise their kids so they wouldn't feel
they could go anywhere and be around anyone without embarrassment to
themselves or anyone else?

Jo

Old September 18th 09, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baird Stafford

In article ,
ScratchMonkey wrote:

"Yowie" wrote in
:

I'd never heard of anyone being discreet about toilet paper until I
joined Usenet - it seems only to be Americans that tend not to say the
full words. Don't know why.

The same reason many other words (ie. "swear" words, and Carlin's "seven")
aren't used in public: It's a class thing. Middle class people want to look
upper class and NOT look lower class, so they don't use "vulgar" (ie.
common) language. Americans are particularly vulnerable to this inferiority
complex, and I think mothers most of all (because they want their kids to
aspire to be upper class).

There are also the many religious sects, mostly Christian in derivation,
who avoid "swearing" or anything that sounds like it might be swearing
as a matter of faith. We also, as a culture, appear to have a phobia
against anything that might be thought, even by the farthest stretch of
imagination, to be "germs" (by which we appear to mean anything that's
too small to see with the naked eye) and seem to avoid talking about
things or places that are not completely antiseptic.

And never mind that (most) toilet paper is a good deal more comfortable
to use than the old-fashioned Monkey Ward catalogues, much less corn
cobs or shuckings (the stuff provided in many public restrooms is more
nearly related to corn cobs, as far as I can determine, than to toilet
paper!).

It would never do, of course, to call any of the three alternatives
listed above "ass-wipe," any more than one would speak of certain other
modern conveniences as "manhole covers."

snip

Baird
who used to stock the paper aisle....

--
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice
there is. -Yogi Berra
Old September 18th 09, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Sep 17, 3:41*pm, "Jofirey" wrote:
"ScratchMonkey" wrote in
3.245...

"Yowie" wrote in
:

[...]

Jo- Hide quoted text -

My mom had one particular expletive she used when she was really,
really, really angry. So you can imagine what kind of shock value
it had on us kids.
We weren't allowed to use a lot of words that weren't even curse
words.
One was "shut up", the other was "stupid" and another was "crap".
"It makes you sound coarse."
I wasn't even sure, and am still not exactly sure what "coarse" SOUNDS
like. :-)

Sherry
Old September 18th 09, 01:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Default Cussing

Sherry wrote:
[...]

I remember my boss told me once about how he tried to teach his boys not
to use swear words. He had them go out on garbage day and listen "to
those guys" talk.
MLB
Old September 18th 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

ScratchMonkey wrote:

The same reason many other words (ie. "swear" words, and Carlin's "seven")
aren't used in public: It's a class thing. Middle class people want to look
upper class and NOT look lower class, so they don't use "vulgar" (ie.
common) language. Americans are particularly vulnerable to this inferiority
complex, and I think mothers most of all (because they want their kids to
aspire to be upper class).

There is that. When I was growing up, my sisters and I weren't allowed
to swear, either. Not for class reasons, though, but, it seemed, for
*age* reasons. I don't ever remember either of my parents saying we
shouldn't swear because it would make us sound vulgar or low-class. We
weren't allowed to swear because we weren't *old enough*. Apparently
swearing was considered acceptable for adults only.

My dad was a fine example of this - his vocabulary was rich with
colorful expressions. My mother hated it and cringed whenever he used
bad language. She didn't come from a higher-class background than he
did, though - she just found it aggressive and offensive.

I came of age in the early 70s, when swearing was a way for people
to show they weren't "establishment". So I developed a pretty good
potty mouth. Ironically, a few years ago when I last saw my dad,
we had a big fight in which I let loose a few f-words among others.
He was actually shocked at my "foul mouth". That surprised me - dad,
I learned it from you!

Joyce

--
Beauty and music seduce us first; later, ashamed of our own
sensuality, we insist on meaning. -- Clive Barker
Old September 18th 09, 04:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
ScratchMonkey typed:
"Yowie" wrote in
:

I'd never heard of anyone being discreet about toilet paper until I
joined Usenet - it seems only to be Americans that tend not to say
the full words. Don't know why.

The same reason many other words (ie. "swear" words, and Carlin's
"seven") aren't used in public: It's a class thing. Middle class
people want to look upper class and NOT look lower class, so they
don't use "vulgar" (ie. common) language. Americans are particularly
vulnerable to this inferiority complex, and I think mothers most of
all (because they want their kids to aspire to be upper class).

My mother had no problem swearing up a storm, but woe if I dared to
let loose such a word. Of course, once she was out of ear shot, I
could tell all my friends all about my rich vocabulary that I learned
*from her*.

Strange.... I would never have thought 'toilet paper' as vulgar.

Will have to remember this if I ever got to the USA.

Or, I'll embarass whoever I'm visiting at the time by yelling in the
supermarket at the top of my Aussie lungs "WHICH AISLE HAS THE BOG ROLLS?"
hehehehehe

Yowie

Old September 18th 09, 04:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Yowie" wrote in message
In ,
ScratchMonkey typed:
"Yowie" wrote in
:

[...]

That's OK. You wouldn't embarrass anyone as we don't use the word
bog and wouldn't have any idea what you were talking about.

I was twenty when I moved in with roommates who were too discrete to
actually write toilet paper on the shopping list. I didn't have a
clue what they meant by TP.

Jo

Old September 18th 09, 05:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Jofirey wrote:

"Yowie" wrote in message
In ,
ScratchMonkey typed:
"Yowie" wrote in
:

[...]

I was a new bride when my new husband (long past "EX") wrote 'bum
fodder" on the grocery list.

Poll OT Toilet paper tanadashoes Cat anecdotes 30 November 9th 08 10:53 AM
Toilet Paper Eater Jan Harris Cats - misc 4 April 9th 05 06:06 PM
a strip of toilet paper and yepp Cat anecdotes 13 March 17th 05 04:25 PM
Toilet Paper John Biltz Cat anecdotes 11 August 17th 03 08:41 PM
toilet paper 2 Byron & Christine Burel Cat anecdotes 5 August 17th 03 04:09 AM